Exhaust rebuild on 86 XLS 2.8L V6

I’ve been trying to piecemeal together an exhaust system to replace a rusted out pipe and bracket system on my 86. I’ve gotten everything except the Y pipe, everything I’ve seen in the documentation show a single pipe coming off the manifold, but there is a y pipe to replace that the bracket is rusted where it connects to the catalytic converter. Does anybody have a line on where I can find it or source one, I’m not sure the part number.  I’m going to try to save the y pipe by grinding the rusted bolts out of the square adapter, but I have everything else I need. 

yes I get it, my amazing of technical speak may blow people away, but I’m just looking for guidance. Thanks in advanced. I’ve scrubbed the old threads similar to this question, but all the links are dead now.

12 hours ago, DzienManche said:

Walker Exhaust 40212 Exhaust Y Pipe https://a.co/d/03uN0uY Looks very close. But scamazon says it won’t fit.

That will not work. I believe at this point the Y pipe is unobtainium. The only one I knew of I helped sell to someone else.

Best bet would probably be to have a shop make one. Or check around to old parts stores, not chain stores and see if they have any old pipes kicking around. You may get lucky like I have, and helped many others as well

• 6 months later...

I've not found a thing. Seems like there would be enough of us out there with Jeeps or S-10s to warrant aftermarket production. If I could get one intact enough to reproduce might be an interesting project for a fabricator making 10 at a time or so. If I took mine off, wouldn't be able to drive the airplane sound around.

Maybe somebody here has an expendable Y-Pipe they could share with us or a fabricator. I'm sure a compromise Jeep / Chevy one could be made with just the square flange (for the cat. converter) for the Jeep version. The Chevy S-10 version looks a little shorter without the flange. Easy enough to just saw off after delivery. I suspect both S-10ers and Jeepers would be thrilled to buy, especially something longer lasting an adaptable retrofit. If I could find a NOS one, I'd probably have it chromed of ceramic coated for longevity. 

Something to consider for the aftermarket, small run folks. Keep on Jeepin' on, Mark

12 hours ago, JeepSchmidt O'Guinness said:

The 2.8 was in a lot of different vehicles, how different could the y-tube be?

I had a surplus police model 86 Chevy Celebrity in high school. Only found that info out when I went to order a fuel pump and the guy asked in tank or auxiliary?

In an s10 it might be similar, I think the s10 has a slight difference to the mj, but in the celebrity, fiero, etc. The exhaust is entirely different. One bank goes up and over the transmission

i seriously doubt the aftermarket will jump on the 2.8 y pipe bandwagon.i own a 2.8 and thankfully my y pipe is in great shape but for the few 86 mj s that are left it wouldnt be cost effective to produce and sell.i just bought the key parts floor brace kit that was released.look at all the owners that have asked for these pieces to be made but i doubt that most will actually buy them.

17 hours ago, ratrapp said:

i seriously doubt the aftermarket will jump on the 2.8 y pipe bandwagon.i own a 2.8 and thankfully my y pipe is in great shape but for the few 86 mj s that are left it wouldnt be cost effective to produce and sell.i just bought the key parts floor brace kit that was released.look at all the owners that have asked for these pieces to be made but i doubt that most will actually buy them.

I mean.. they did. Walker used to make the y pipe for the mj. But it was discontinued. Probably not a great market for them.

But you'd also be surprised how many people actually buy key parts panels and such. It's not the price that's the problem it's the amount of people who do and don't know about them. You'd be surprised how many people are not aware of these replacement parts still. A lot of people don't know you can now get new repop tail lights from them still