Wheel size limits

I'm looking to replace the rims and tires on my truck, but this is just an interim issue so I'm looking for the cheapest solution (i.e. used) that will get me on the road for the next phase of my reconstruction project.

However, I'm having no luck in sourcing 15" rims/tires and am only finding 17-18" sets at reasonable prices. What issues would I face if trying to fit something like this? My truck has what was originally a 3.5" lift, but this might have "settled" a bit since it was fitted ~15 years ago.

Wrangler take-offs can be had for super cheap but keep in mind that you'll need adapters which can be costly depending on the quality you choose. I scored my set for $50 and they could pass as new. I believe most JKs came with 255s which is roughly the limit for you 3" lift. I'm running 245/70-17s on 3" lift and get no rubbing whatsoever, not on the LCAs nor the fenders. 

55 minutes ago, Billabob said:

Wrangler take-offs can be had for super cheap but keep in mind that you'll need adapters which can be costly depending on the quality you choose. I scored my set for $50 and they could pass as new. I believe most JKs came with 255s which is roughly the limit for you 3" lift. I'm running 245/70-17s on 3" lift and get no rubbing whatsoever, not on the LCAs nor the fenders. 

Any pics of how that sits?

For a cheap temporary solution? Find a set of KJ 16” wheels and a used set of tires in the 225/70R16 to 265/75R16 range. Maybe keep an eye out at junkyards, some will leave wheel and tire sets out front. When I was getting oversized winters for my ZJ that’s what I ended up doing, I picked 265/70r16 because that was used on Chevy half tons and Colorados so I figured I’d be able to find them for a while yet. But I bought new tires then.

I’ve pretty much given up on looking for used tires myself. Seemed like everyone wanted more than half what new tires were worth for 5+ year old tires with less than half tread left the last few times I looked. 

The later XJs did use the 'KJ' 16" rims on them as an option. I do run a set with 31's on them. Also, they fit over WJ Big Brakes. I also run 17" rims on a 4.5 lifted XJ. The front I used WJ hub bearings. On the rear I am using spacers. 

The XJ and KJ had similar wheels but not identical. Offset’s different. The KJ wheels sit slightly inboard compared to the XJ, by maybe 1/4” I don’t remember specifically. For me that was ideal because it means less salt spray on the side of the Jeep, but some might not want that.

We picked up some TJ take offs (wheels and tires) from the local 4x4 shop for $450. Brought them home and noticed the wheels have "Ford" stamped on them, so not Jeep wheels, but they'll work. Haven't put them on anything yet. So try a 4x4 shop for take offs.

On 1/30/2023 at 5:51 AM, armyvet25 said:

2022-08-02_204131.jpg

Thanks for this.  Looks like it would be very rare to find 17-18" rims that fit the Comanche 5/4.5 lug bolt pattern. So that should simplify my search.

And for some other comments, I have tried our one local salvage yard that allegedly might have some XJ/MJ rimes and tires, but they no longer sell directly nor appear to be interested in selling anything less than a major drive train or vehicle body.

I will tell you this, I've seen some TJ rims need a spacer before fitting some XJ axles, some aluminum TJ rims had a lip inside the center hole, but fit on the TJ, sounds weird right? The rim measured 70mm and the center hub (XJ) was 72mm, I either had to grind out the aluminum inside the wheel 2mm or use an adapter. Maybe they weren't true TJ wheels, but was told they were. pic below of wheel

2022-12-22_151312.jpg

TJ Ravine wheels in a 15x8.

The centre bore should be 71.5mm. They’re a tight fit from factory, and it doesn’t take much corrosion to make the fit tighter. I usually wire brush and then wipe some antiseize around the hub surface when I mount the wheels to try to prevent that from happening.