R12 to R134a swap

This is a continuation of the a/c swap conversation we had on the dash removal thread. I just want to confirm a few more things before I start buying stuff.

-The r12 system in my 89MJ is a expansion valve and receiver dryer system, rather than the orifice tube and accumulator system. By converting to r134a I'm still keeping it an expansion valve and receiver dryer system right?

-I'm planning on just buying the new components from rock auto, which correct me if I'm missing anything but should just be: Evap core, Receiver/dryer(NOT accumulator), Expansion valve, generic r134a oring kit, and whatever kind of oil it is that r134a takes

Then, I'm pairing the new components with my old lines, my old compressor, and my old condensor, correct?

(I'm getting a new heater core too so no need to remind me)

My dad brought up a good point about how I have no idea my compressor works, and way back when when we tried charging it and it randomly all escaped from somewhere we never did locate it. So it might not be a bad idea to just get a new compressor.

With that being said, is getting a used one from ebay a dumb idea?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155241363784?fits=Year%3A1989|Model%3ACherokee|Make%3AJeep&hash=item24251b3948:g:iBQAAOSw~KNjZplS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsDCdzPjb%2FZOY0%2FWlU0f5ZFzRPVoWkoqx2Wdogct86EEu%2B5cf0%2BWDGrkNlM0Ic16FgU7wU%2BHp9qVD4Bhhn7lO1xkhNKl7WIx8jiIJD40d1%2FQdVVQZjHul9cNfr5qgebexbaWOM6d0o5n7VKEybSBvDXmPWGy5ll3WIcW7vcg3kW%2BK9WJZTwny14F9q9vpANxukIgWqxHRCCJ167370RRfNG8Mn%2Bjyy1JnbsTNJrDB4kUz|tkp%3ABk9SR4qT7o28YQ

After all this a/c I still need a heater core, sound deadening, and I'm looking at just getting an Azzy's Linkage now instead of later. On that note, are there any cheaper alternatives like the Azzy's Linkage that perform adequately? I'd rather not drop $90, even though I'm sure they are worth it for the build quality.

52 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

After all this a/c I still need a heater core, sound deadening, and I'm looking at just getting an Azzy's Linkage now instead of later. On that note, are there any cheaper alternatives like the Azzy's Linkage that perform adequately? I'd rather not drop $90, even though I'm sure they are worth it for the build quality.

don't know, but here's some affordable sound deadening:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BK4HVKTR/

Used compressors are a crap shoot, and for that reason, I would consider them a last resort.

reman compressors, in my experience, are worthless.  I am 3 for 3 with failures of those.

I HIGHLY recommend a new compressor if you decide you need one.

• 4 weeks later...

(Hopefully this upcoming week) I'm gonna swap the full interior in, new heater core and evap core, I'll just leave the evap core capped off. Whenever I'm ready to do the a/c conversion, my plan is this: https://jeepair.com/products/copy-of-1987-1990-wrangler-r134a-conversion-kit?variant=41322890789061

Gonna get this kit, and a new compressor to play it safe. Not sure of the condition of the condensor but if I decide to replace it I'm just gonna get a junkyard one. The lines I was planning on reusing from my 89 r12 system, or the 87 r12 system, whichever appear to be in better condition.

So that would make everything brand new except for the lines, and the condensor, which I will be sure to replace the orings in.

55 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Big difference. What compressor mount are you running? Also if you get one with mineral oil still in it, you can drain it and put in the right PAG oil

I have no idea what mount I'm running or what you even mean by that. My truck still currently has the stock 89 4.0 A/C components in it. And I thought people were saying in theory if I knew for sure my r12 compressor was fine, as long as I put the right oil in it I could still use it on the r134a swap. I'm simply asking now because I've pretty much decided I'm gonna get a brand new one to be safe. If a brand new r12 compressor is cheaper than a r134a compressor, and they do the same thing, I'm getting the cheaper one.

You can get away with swapping your oils and be fine for the conversion. That being said it wouldnt hurt to replace the compressor but you need a Renix era sanden compressor where the mounting flanges have the holes pointing towards the front and rear of the engine bay vs the HO ones where the compressor sits on the mounts and the bolts drop down and bolt in.

I did a very cheap conversion on my MJ, I bought a reman compressor from ebay without any lube, I replaced all o-rings with PAG compatible ones, thoroughly flushed the system. I then put in the required amount of PAG, R134 refrigerant charge minus 15% of the amount recommended for the original type. The system works surprisingly well and blows ice cold air out the vents, this is much improved with the (Volvo) electric cooling fan swap I performed on it.

4 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

That looks exactly like the one I bought except mine is a V-belt pulley setup...

• 3 months later...

Update: I'm finally getting around to buying the parts to do my swap. I've decided to get get brand new everything, including the lines that way hopefully nothing can go wrong.

As discussed in this thread before, I've decided to get this kit https://jeepair.com/products/copy-of-1987-1990-wrangler-r134a-conversion-kit?variant=41322890789061 and this compressor https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Conditioner-CO-4653C-Compressor/dp/B003R4QXG6/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1676651715&s=automotive&sr=1-6&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.304cacc1-b508-45fb-a37f-a2c47c48c32f&vehicle=1989-42-347------------14&vehicleName=1989+Jeep+Cherokee.

That leaves just the lines and condensor. Since the kit says it has everything you need as long as your compressor works, I'm assuming I should be buying 1989 lines and the condensor, and just use the r134a orings from the kit. In order to keep things simple I'm just gonna buy those from rock auto.

-Slight problem, there are a total of 4 lines(if you don't count the solid metal ones coming off the condensor. The suction and discharge line are the only ones I see on rock auto. Where could I find the one going from the condensor the the drier, and the drier to the expansion valve? 

I have the entire A/C system from my parts 87 MJ still, I'll send a pic from my phone with the lines I'm talking about highlighted.

7DC47B80-A1DC-490B-9A1E-172E61F536D7.jpeg.efc1e262779c944203361e8e77de9860.jpeg

The yellow circle is the two metal lines I was talking about, I could just order a new condenser that has them included and probably will.

The Blue and Green lines are the ones I don’t see on rock auto. Considering I have the ones on my truck, and these from the very rusty 87 parts truck, I could just see which look the best and use them, but if I can buy new ones somewhere I want to do that

10 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

7DC47B80-A1DC-490B-9A1E-172E61F536D7.jpeg.efc1e262779c944203361e8e77de9860.jpeg

The yellow circle is the two metal lines I was talking about, I could just order a new condenser that has them included and probably will.

The Blue and Green lines are the ones I don’t see on rock auto. Considering I have the ones on my truck, and these from the very rusty 87 parts truck, I could just see which look the best and use them, but if I can buy new ones somewhere I want to do that

There are companies out there that will make custom lines to your specifications.  I know there are such outfits here in the Phoenix area (probably because auto AC is virtually a necessity here).  Try looking around in Atlanta.  I would bet someone is in that business there.

Just now, AZJeff said:

There are companies out there that will make custom lines to your specifications.  I know there are such outfits here in the Phoenix area (probably because auto AC is virtually a necessity here).  Try looking around in Atlanta.  I would bet someone is in that business there.

Thats a good point, if I can't find anything I could probably take my old ones to get new custom ones made.