R12 to R134a swap

My fleet consists of older vehicles and when I moved to the deep south, A/C was a must so I invested a lil bit of dough in tooling to make my own hoses. Almost all my hoopties have A/C now ranging from '68 to mid '80s. I understand this ain't for everyone but know that making a refrigerant hose is not that difficult...carry on.

Just ordered a new compressor, orings, drier, expansion valve, condensor, and two lines. I'm gonna try to make my existing ones work, and if they actually fail then at least I'll know what it is right away lol.

9A91D7B7-4A7E-4A4B-84F1-9E6E2548EFFF.jpeg.1d06f561e59021704d3956b9c51d388e.jpeg

new drier doesn’t have the switch. Can I just throw the old one on there or do I need to order a r134a switch or do I even need one at all? Kinda bummed bc I was ready to put in all my new a/c stuff 

Now that I'm looking at rock auto more thoroughly, none of the driers have a HPCO, and these are designed for r134a, even tho they are under the 1989 MJ section. Would a factory r134a system not have a HPCO? Do I need one in mine? How important is it?

Yea thats what I did. Everything is now finger tight. Was going to try to get all the fittings fully tightened down tn but I started to kink the 90 degree fitting on the bottom of the receiver so decided to stop and come back tomorrow when it's not dark out and I aint rushing. So assuming all goes well, I should be able to start doing a leakdown and pressure test with the whole system tmr, and if it seems healthy then I'm charging it

I might too. Not very happy with how this rock auto hose fit. The "muffler" on the one is no where near where it should be, and theres two slight kinks in the rubber line, but we will see how it does under vacuum and pressure.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I feel like I should start grabbing renix AC hoses from the yards... 

You should and we all probably should, course we shouldnt grab them if theyre rotting away. That being said they would be great templates if someone needs them and have them sent off to be remade by oreillys or what have ya.

Ok hopefully this is the last update to this thread. Turns out I had wayyyy overtightened the hose on the bottom of the condenser and had pulled the threads. So that same day I rushed to the junkyard and luckily found an 88 2door XJ which had it's entire A/C system recently replaced. Using the condenser and each line from it, I did a vacuum leak downtest overnight with it and it held. Fast forward to today and all the R134A is in and it's blowing cold! Pressures were normal.

Only thing I need to adress now is why my electric fan never kicks on. It's from a 96 XJ, but the connector was the same so I had it plugged in. I'd really rather not just wire the fan up to a switch on the dash, so if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what tells the fan when to turn on, thank you.

How do you know it never turns on? I thought the same thing since it seemed my MJ was getting pretty hot (like 220*) and the electric fan wasn't kicking on. But I unplugged the temp. sender, and it turned on.

Unplug the temp. sender, this should automatically start the fan.

8 minutes ago, acfortier said:

How do you know it never turns on? I thought the same thing since it seemed my MJ was getting pretty hot (like 220*) and the electric fan wasn't kicking on. But I unplugged the temp. sender, and it turned on.

Unplug the temp. sender, this should automatically start the fan.

As in the one on the back of the head that tells the gauge what to do?

9 minutes ago, acfortier said:

Yep, mine is on the thermostat housing since I have an HO. Unplugged that, and fan immediately started up.

Hold on. This is Renix, the one on the back of the head is still the gauge only. 

7 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

While doing my a/c charge I forgot I had no shroud so for a moment my temp got in the red and the fan still didn't kick on. May just be bad tbh, I'll test it out tmr

The Renix one if I recall correctly is a switch in the radiator or the condenser. I don’t remember but the HO one is a wise upgrade over the one in the radiator(again if I remember right). Also Minuit will tell ya to get a fan shroud. They are stupid important and are there for a reason. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Hold on. This is Renix, the one on the back of the head is still the gauge only. 

The Renix one if I recall correctly is a switch in the radiator or the condenser. I don’t remember but the HO one is a wise upgrade over the one in the radiator(again if I remember right). Also Minuit will tell ya to get a fan shroud. They are stupid important and are there for a reason. 

I have a fan shroud it just wasn't in since I had the front end apart. But that makes sense I think the radiator is the issue. My radiator was ordered from rock auto for a 96 XJ, then swapped into my truck. I'll get a pic tmr but earlier today I saw what I think is that plug laying by the airbox.

9 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

I have a fan shroud it just wasn't in since I had the front end apart. But that makes sense I think the radiator is the issue. My radiator was ordered from rock auto for a 96 XJ, then swapped into my truck. I'll get a pic tmr but earlier today I saw what I think is that plug laying by the airbox.

Hang on. Let me look at the parts catalog real quick to make sure I have the info straight for the e-fan temp switch location for Renix and I will post the diagrams. 

18 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.png.d7b9bf12d3015bb7e78ea195e052ac7a.png

No. 14. Looks like it is in a hose. Only 1987-90 was it in this location. I do not know what hose that is due to the lack of having a 4.0L, but chances are you probably can find it or someone else could. 

Yep that looks like it. I might go back to that 88 2 door and get the hose setup.