Parts to grab?

Comanche specific parts: Badges, rear fender flares, rear glass, spare tire winch, taillights and tailgate I think you said you already or were going to get, I think I see the B-pillar plastic pieces is still in on the passenger side? If so get it, get those trim belts things that run  on the bottom of the fender and bedsides, parking brake mechanism, 

Some things you may wanna get anyways if they are in good condition: That header panel, the atenna cable with the rubber grommet where it goes into the cab, those fender liners are always nice if they aren't hardened, also I know you said the 89MJ didn't have a trans anymore, but if the 4wd shifter linkage assembley is still under the trans tunnel floor that is worth getting IMO, and thats about all I can think of rn.

1 hour ago, Warren99 said:

Comanche specific parts: Badges, rear fender flares, rear glass, spare tire winch, taillights and tailgate I think you said you already or were going to get, I think I see the B-pillar plastic pieces is still in on the passenger side? If so get it, get those trim belts things that run  on the bottom of the fender and bedsides, parking brake mechanism, 

Some things you may wanna get anyways if they are in good condition: That header panel, the atenna cable with the rubber grommet where it goes into the cab, those fender liners are always nice if they aren't hardened, also I know you said the 89MJ didn't have a trans anymore, but if the 4wd shifter linkage assembley is still under the trans tunnel floor that is worth getting IMO, and thats about all I can think of rn.

right on thank you all for your suggestions. if there is anything that anyone is looking for and I see it I can grab it and maybe I can get some stuff sent out. I will update this thread with more pictures in two weeks. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure the 89 DOES have the 4wd shift linkage still there.

I was considering grabbing the driveline on the 87lwb, pretty sure the 87 is RWD. another question, if the 87 had ____ transmission and mine was an ax15 would I be able to pull the slip yoke from my excisting driveshaft(forgive me if my literature is not on par) and then with a new U Joint attach it to the 87lwb drive shaft to make it compatible with the spline count on the RWD extension housing on an ax15?

5 minutes ago, TheSiLvAPython said:

right on thank you all for your suggestions. if there is anything that anyone is looking for and I see it I can grab it and maybe I can get some stuff sent out. I will update this thread with more pictures in two weeks. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure the 89 DOES have the 4wd shift linkage still there.

As of right now the only thing I could think of needing is some black interior pieces, they can come from an XJ also (lower dash panel, center console arm rest, the little screw covers on the A-pillars, and the bezel that covers the lever on the side of a bucket seat to let it fold forward)

The reason I mentioned the 4wd linkage is because the 4wd linkage is different between a manual and an automatic. I've been having a hard time finding manual 4x4 cherokees being parted out, so maybe you will too.

5 minutes ago, TheSiLvAPython said:

I was considering grabbing the driveline on the 87lwb, pretty sure the 87 is RWD. another question, if the 87 had ____ transmission and mine was an ax15 would I be able to pull the slip yoke from my excisting driveshaft(forgive me if my literature is not on par) and then with a new U Joint attach it to the 87lwb drive shaft to make it compatible with the spline count on the RWD extension housing on an ax15?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that.

Regardless, it's never a bad idea to grab a Comanche driveshaft, they are a different length from Cherokees. May not be a bad idea to grab the front driveshaft too if its a manual 4x4. The front driveshaft should be identical to a Cherokee's, but like with the shifter linkage, they differ in size from automatic to manual.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

For a democratic state, there sure as hell is a lot of XJs and MJs floating around up there. My wife used to live up the before coming down here and I’ve seen a couple MJs and plenty of XJs and an Eagle. 

Only because the climate here is way more friendly to sheet metal. When I moved to Spokane I couldn't believe how many classic cars were on the road. I attribute it to low humidity and the use of chemical de-icer during the winter rather than salt. I bought my MJ for $900 because I thought I would never see another one...I should have waited for one with better sheet metal honestly. I grew up in the south VA-GA and I remember seeing a few MJs in the late 90s/early 2000s. I remember going to the pick n pull and seeing a few of them everytime during those years....If only I could go back with a trailer.

Lots of Washingtonians on this board, mostly west siders but a few on the east. Welcome. 

1 hour ago, Warren99 said:

As of right now the only thing I could think of needing is some black interior pieces, they can come from an XJ also (lower dash panel, center console arm rest, the little screw covers on the A-pillars, and the bezel that covers the lever on the side of a bucket seat to let it fold forward)

The reason I mentioned the 4wd linkage is because the 4wd linkage is different between a manual and an automatic. I've been having a hard time finding manual 4x4 cherokees being parted out, so maybe you will too.

you're in luck(with the shift linkage because yes it is from a manual MJ) there is a few manual Cherokees there as well. I know one is after Chrystler switched from the threaded clutch master cylinder to the(I believe plastic)  O ring press fit style hydraulic line. I think there are four manuals ONE MJ THREE XJ and then there is four automatics 1 MJ 3 XJ 

1 hour ago, Airborne Janitor said:

Only because the climate here is way more friendly to sheet metal. When I moved to Spokane I couldn't believe how many classic cars were on the road. I attribute it to low humidity and the use of chemical de-icer during the winter rather than salt. I bought my MJ for $900 because I thought I would never see another one...I should have waited for one with better sheet metal honestly. I grew up in the south VA-GA and I remember seeing a few MJs in the late 90s/early 2000s. I remember going to the pick n pull and seeing a few of them everytime during those years....If only I could go back with a trailer.

Lots of Washingtonians on this board, mostly west siders but a few on the east. Welcome. 

hey that's not bad (not sure how far along the rot of your sheet metal is) but 900 is a steel.. haha.  I think they are one of those (get it while you can) things.. odd I think I have read that exact sentance on this website before. hows the humidity out there in Virginia/Georgia? is it bad? like, get out of the shower and never dry off bad? I never even knew what a comanche was until 2014. Randomly saw one drive by and ever since I have wanted to get one. Finally got one and I didn't use any logic at all when I got it. I seen it, seen that it ran, talked the guy down to 1500. (now with what I know I probably could have gotten it for less) but I was starstruck haha the previous owner kept trying to warn me I probably shouldn't daily drive it because it needs work and all I did was nod my head and say whatever it is I will fix it.(having no experience working on vehicles other than basic oil change, brake pads, spark plugs, upper control arms all on an acura.) then I got this truck 5speed manual which I have never owned a manual. (can never go back to an automatic now) yeah I too just wish I knew then what I barely know now. I love this truck but damn I had no idea what I was getting into haha. really thankful I found this website though. first thing I read was the "Tips every MJ owner should know" thread and immediately I started over thinking and the found (the man, the myth, the legend) Cruiser54's mostly renix tips and one thing led to another and now I'm addicted to working on my truck... If I'm not working on the Job, I'm working on my truck..... my bad I got carried away.. hows it in spokane? I have wanted to go drive out that way but just been so limited by my Jeep(how often do you hear that haha) its only 287 miles from where I live. I drive more miles than that on an average worknite( I do deliveries) but I have also had to have my truck towed three times so I would like to get all of the surprises taken care of so then I am not a huge distance from home with a truck that needs to be towed that I can't afford. although it is better now that I replaced the dash harness and fuseblock as a result of a power to ground short circuit that melted everything from the fuse block to the tail lights. but now I am going to need to rebuild my transmission soon. Have you heard of/been to palouse falls? thats out that way. that is where I want to go. sorry i really got carried away digitally rambling. 

1 hour ago, TheSiLvAPython said:

you're in luck(with the shift linkage because yes it is from a manual MJ) there is a few manual Cherokees there as well. I know one is after Chrystler switched from the threaded clutch master cylinder to the(I believe plastic)  O ring press fit style hydraulic line. I think there are four manuals ONE MJ THREE XJ and then there is four automatics 1 MJ 3 XJ 

Oh ok sweet. I recently found a guy with a manual 2 door xj being parted out that says he should have what I need, just waiting on confirmation for that. 

7 hours ago, TheSiLvAPython said:

hey that's not bad (not sure how far along the rot of your sheet metal is) but 900 is a steel.. haha.  I think they are one of those (get it while you can) things.. odd I think I have read that exact sentance on this website before. hows the humidity out there in Virginia/Georgia? is it bad? like, get out of the shower and never dry off bad? I never even knew what a comanche was until 2014. Randomly saw one drive by and ever since I have wanted to get one. Finally got one and I didn't use any logic at all when I got it. I seen it, seen that it ran, talked the guy down to 1500. (now with what I know I probably could have gotten it for less) but I was starstruck haha the previous owner kept trying to warn me I probably shouldn't daily drive it because it needs work and all I did was nod my head and say whatever it is I will fix it.(having no experience working on vehicles other than basic oil change, brake pads, spark plugs, upper control arms all on an acura.) then I got this truck 5speed manual which I have never owned a manual. (can never go back to an automatic now) yeah I too just wish I knew then what I barely know now. I love this truck but damn I had no idea what I was getting into haha. really thankful I found this website though. first thing I read was the "Tips every MJ owner should know" thread and immediately I started over thinking and the found (the man, the myth, the legend) Cruiser54's mostly renix tips and one thing led to another and now I'm addicted to working on my truck... If I'm not working on the Job, I'm working on my truck..... my bad I got carried away.. hows it in spokane? I have wanted to go drive out that way but just been so limited by my Jeep(how often do you hear that haha) its only 287 miles from where I live. I drive more miles than that on an average worknite( I do deliveries) but I have also had to have my truck towed three times so I would like to get all of the surprises taken care of so then I am not a huge distance from home with a truck that needs to be towed that I can't afford. although it is better now that I replaced the dash harness and fuseblock as a result of a power to ground short circuit that melted everything from the fuse block to the tail lights. but now I am going to need to rebuild my transmission soon. Have you heard of/been to palouse falls? thats out that way. that is where I want to go. sorry i really got carried away digitally rambling. 

East coast humidity can be pretty brutal, especially in the summers. My wife (who has lived in WA most her life) once asked "what are you supposed to do with your clothes that get lower back sweat on them in the summer?" haha, you deal with it!). Spokane is ok I guess, I've never been to Palouse Falls but my wife has, she went to school down at WSU.

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, 87MJTIM said:

Take a trailer and get the 87.

From the XJs, what are the years of each?  If they're 86-90, then start grabbing common parts to the MJ.  If 91+, the engine parts swap would match if you have 91-92 MJ.  If there is a 2 dr XJ grab the front seats.  These tilt forward.

Other may (will) add more.

Why the ‘87? Just out of curiosity.