Number of MJs destroyed by Cash for Clunkers

scguy

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Uhhhhh why is there one destroyed for 93?

I’d guess a typo. But I also have encountered a few cases on here where someone thinks the year is other than it is because the model year on the title doesn’t agree with the VIN.

2 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I’d guess a typo. But I also have encountered a few cases on here where someone thinks the year is other than it is because the model year on the title doesn’t agree with the VIN.

The only instance I know of is a 93 MJ is that one blue one that guy had hell of a time getting the title to confirm the year and in the catalog if I search a part number and see the years and models it fits, I can see 93 MJ as an option. 

There was a guy in France who had what he called a ‘93. I think it even had a 2.5 diesel but I could be wrong about that. His basis was something about the first registration, but iirc the vin put it as a ‘91. 
What I meant was sometimes for whatever reason the title is off by one relative to the 10th digit of the VIN. There were a bunch in the registry that were put under the wrong year, you can find them if you sort by alphabetical, none called out as a ‘93 though. I’ve definitely seen mismatched titles though, whether the DMV person who first issued the title grabbed the production date off the door, or a purchase date, rather than the model year from the VIN.

I worked at a dealership  during Cash for Clunkers. I saw lots of nice vehicles that today  would be worth far more than the $3500 max that they paid destroyed. One was a VW Westfalia that looked like it had never been camped in. I did score lots of good parts before the wrecking yard came to get them. They just had to be complete, but maybe they have bald tires instead of brand new now? it still hurt to watch.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, FrankTheDog said:

Just another wasteful un American thing that the Obiden administration perpetuated on the American public.

:brickwall:

While it's fun to point blame, the bill actually had bipartisan support in Congress (that's how it passed).  The additional $2B appropriation after the first $1B was quickly exhausted even passed the Senate 91–5.

That being said, it was an extremely costly program and likely did not achieve the goal of reducing emissions and getting old cars off the road (traded in vehicles needed to achieve less than 18 mpg, while newly-purchased vehicles only had to hit 22 mpg).

Investing in improving infrastructure and green power systems in the country would have been a much better use of funds.

I remember seeing an HO MJ in a pic n pull during the cash for clunkers push. I was upset about it then. Looked like it had been a FL truck from the start, no rust, straight as an arrow body and a destroyed engine, hope the person thinks about that truck often and wants to kick himself. I didn't even know at the time how much I should have grabbed...

Buck

25 minutes ago, buxmj said:

I remember seeing an HO MJ in a pic n pull during the cash for clunkers push. I was upset about it then. Looked like it had been a FL truck from the start, no rust, straight as an arrow body and a destroyed engine, hope the person thinks about that truck often and wants to kick himself. I didn't even know at the time how much I should have grabbed...

Buck

Should’ve pulled the dash and took the rest of the truck. Find a wrecked MJ and pull the dash. Done.

Although l don’t think they would let you take the whole thing. Unfortunately.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, SoCalJeepComanche said:

While it's fun to point blame, the bill actually had bipartisan support in Congress (that's how it passed).  The additional $2B appropriation after the first $1B was quickly exhausted even passed the Senate 91–5.

That being said, it was an extremely costly program and likely did not achieve the goal of reducing emissions and getting old cars off the road (traded in vehicles needed to achieve less than 18 mpg, while newly-purchased vehicles only had to hit 22 mpg).

Investing in improving infrastructure and green power systems in the country would have been a much better use of funds.

That’s kinda the way things are done. They say the program is to do this or that for whatever cause, but in reality right out of a big recession no one was spending money, especially on expensive things like cars. And then people who make money selling things to people who can’t afford them stop making money. What does the government do? Launch programs that hand taxpayer money over to huge corporations in an attempt to keep the upward flow of wealth going. The right side of the political spectrum lies and tells you it trickles back down to the working class, the centre of the spectrum lies and says they’re saving the planet, the left side points out what’s going on but they’re evil so you shouldn’t listen to them. Doesn’t matter what label the politicians wear, the wealthy keep getting wealthier, and the people generating the wealth end up with less and less of it.