ATF on AW4?

I'm more of a manual tranny guy. In general, I think any of the "name" brands of Dexron (III or IV, whatever they're selling these days) will be fine in an AW4. Just be sure you don't put in ATF (forget even what it's called. ATF-3???) formulated for Chrysler trannies -- it's the kiss of death in an AW4.

• 3 years later...

I'm planning on Changing my fluid soon and was wondering if theres any other or specific Brands of ATF Fluid i should buy. I'm gonna be doing the simple Drain pan, Drive an oil change interval and then drain again i heard this is about the most efficiant way you can do it buy yourself. thanks for any other info.

Also i have a 96 XJ with an Auto as well so i think it its the same AW4 (similar) and its service can be performed the same as the MJs Tranny.

This is similar to the stuff I bought from Autozone:

Image Not Found

They had a shelf full of the stuff. From what I read on the XJ forums (an AW4 is an AW4 no matter mj/xj), this is the type of stuff that is highly recommended for a fluid change, NOT A FLUSH. A flush on a high mileage AW4 will kill it if not done regularly.

Image Not Found

They had a shelf full of the stuff. From what I read on the XJ forums (an AW4 is an AW4 no matter mj/xj), this is the type of stuff that is highly recommended for a fluid change, NOT A FLUSH. A flush on a high mileage AW4 will kill it if not done regularly.

:huh???: I plan on changing out my trans fluid soon also, what exactly do you mean by this? I was going to run Seafoam Transtune through it per the can instructions, drain and replace.

:huh???: I plan on changing out my trans fluid soon also, what exactly do you mean by this? I was going to run Seafoam Transtune through it per the can instructions, drain and replace.

As I understand it, if your AW4 has not been regularly flushed throughout its life, a flush will do it in. The MJ is my first automatic so I read a lot when I picked it up in Feb. At 185K on my truck, I was strongly suggested to NOT FLUSH.

Luckily the AW4 has a drain plug. I simply drained the fluid and replaced it with fresh stuff while the tranny was hot. I am going to replace the fluid again to get an almost complete fluid change (several quarts stay in the converter when you drain the fluid). If you drop the pan to change the filter, you must pull it straight down as to not mess up the dip stick tube. During my research attempt to understand the AW4, I also found that about 50% of folks suggest not changing the filter and messing with the dipstick tube as the stock AW4 filter is nothing more than a mesh screen.

dex/merc atf+3 on up.

ABSOLUTELY NO synthetic atf should EVER be put in an aw4 that is not brand spanking new.

AW4's can withstand synthetic only when it was ran from day one. otherwise, putting it in later in life WILL destroy the clutch pack.

Image Not Found

I would not Seafoam it but I would do a poorman's flush where you replace ALL the fluid with fresh fluid. If you search for "poorman's flush" on Naxja you find a ton of info.

thanks for the good info guys, i was all set to run synthetic. at 214k, my trans seems to run just fine, that would have sucked to implode it by putting synthetic in. whew!

now by "flush" you are talking about a power flush, i.e. machine flush, correct? any thoughts about running the Seafoam through there before the drain and fill?

*Edit: oops, had to walk away for a few minutes then hit "submit" w/out seeing the other new post. Even w/the Seafoam though, I'd still need to do a "poorman's flush" to get all the fluid out. The Seafoam should just do it's job to clean things up a little, right? Not debating you, just looking for more input why not to Seafoam it.

seafoam? in an auto trans with clutch packs and brass pressure discs?

uh-uh.

I'd keep seafoam to engines. I've never heard of it being run through trannies and really don't want to think about what it could do.

uh-uh.

I'd keep seafoam to engines. I've never heard of it being run through trannies and really don't want to think about what it could do.

They make a transmission specific product also, not the same thing as what we run through the engines.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/trans-tune/index.html

uh-uh.

They make a transmission specific product also, not the same thing as what we run through the engines.

oh. well, I've never heard of it done on an xj or mj much less heard of it at all.

It works now right? then just drain the pan and refill it. maybe reseal the pan while you're doing that.

but I'd not add addative to it.

The directions are to add it to the trans, drive around the block a few times etc, then drain and fill with new trans fluid, so not really an additive in that you don't leave it in there.

I understand that.

but an auto trans is more complex with many more smaller moving parts than an engine. adding seafoam to the aw4 is not the same concept as adding it to an engine. if it affects it negatively, it will effect it even worse...i.e. one part (in the clutch pack or valve body) fails in an auto trans, usually it takes everything else out with it and you're left stuck.

you have high miles. just drain it, maybe replace the pan gasket (I wouldn't replace the filter inside...at this point it's probably never been changed so I'd leave it) and refill it. if you want to flush the lines, remove them and run good ol' H20 through them then blow them out with an air gun and put them back together.

that's the way I "flush" my adub4's. I have yet to have one actually fail on me...and the trans in the 87 has almost 200k of extremely abused miles on it (it has been beat and wheeled hardcore for the past 120k miles). good thing I have a low miles spare :brows:

when i first bought my truck i did just a drain and fill on the AW4 then drove it every day for a week and did anoth drain and fill. repeated until my fluid looked red again, before it looked more like engine oil after 8k miles. apparently PO wasnt much on maintenance. once the fluid looked decent i pulled the pan and replaced the gasket and filter so everything was relatively fresh. since then i do a drain and fill usually everyother oil change its usually around 4qts cheap money for the peace of mind. I always run Valvoline Maxlife DexronIII/Mercon and occasionally substitute in a bottle of lucas transmission fix with good results. around 190-200k and shifts like a dream.