WTB: Comanche back glass

vanquishings

I  know this is a longshot, but my back glass is shattered on the driver's side. Looking for a 3 piece slider to replace it with the gasket, as well. Located in Ohio and willing to drive a bit to pick it up, or if you know someone willing to ship, I'd be interested. Already tried local junkyards, found one 90 minutes away, but when I went to pick it up, they didn't realize it was broken.... :doh:

Headed to PA in a weeks time, so willing to snag it there or on my way back, as well. 

Any leads would be appreciated! 

9 minutes ago, 500 MJ said:

Would you have any interest in just buying the piece of glass that is broken and putting it in? These windows do come apart I think. 

I've been told from a couple of different glass places that the left and right are one piece. The middle is replaceable, but most places won't even do that, due to the fact that it's not something you can just get another of. Proving to be a headache. 

Frustrating when ones on ebay are $400, and junkyards are $75 but won't ship them. 

54 minutes ago, Pete M said:

brand new aftermarket 4pane sliders are still available. :L: CR Lawrence makes them.

One of the glass guys I talked to had actually mentioned that, but said he couldn't order them. Also said quality was so-so. But I haven't looked into that. I'm trying to retain the 3 pane, just because it's original, but saving that as a back up option. Is the quality that bad, or was he just a cranky glass installer? 

51 minutes ago, TheDude said:

Where in PA will you be? I have one in Pittsburgh.

I'm driving to the Lancaster area, so will be on I70-E for a good while. Would definitely be interested if you'd be able to meet on Friday or the following Monday! 

we have heard they are on backorder, but I was able to get confirmation from CRL that they aren't discontinued and it's just a temporary supply issue. :L:  

quality isn't the best, but in another sense I guess it is the best since it's the only new option. :laugh:

Actually the original 3 pane windows do completely disassemble. The morons at the glass shop haven’t touched these trucks in god who knows how long. So it would be wise to collect any and all glass and metal frame from any junked MJ. 

8 hours ago, vanquishings said:

One of the glass guys I talked to had actually mentioned that, but said he couldn't order them. Also said quality was so-so. But I haven't looked into that. I'm trying to retain the 3 pane, just because it's original, but saving that as a back up option. Is the quality that bad, or was he just a cranky glass installer? 

I'm driving to the Lancaster area, so will be on I70-E for a good while. Would definitely be interested if you'd be able to meet on Friday or the following Monday! 

If you mean meet in Pittsburgh we can do that, otherwise I don't have the free time to go out towards Lancaster at the moment.

10 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Actually the original 3 pane windows do completely disassemble. The morons at the glass shop haven’t touched these trucks in god who knows how long. So it would be wise to collect any and all glass and metal frame from any junked MJ. 

ooo!  that reminds me, I have a partially disassembled window!  lemme go see which side is missing...

14 hours ago, Pete M said:

we have heard they are on backorder, but I was able to get confirmation from CRL that they aren't discontinued and it's just a temporary supply issue. :L:  

quality isn't the best, but in another sense I guess it is the best since it's the only new option. :laugh:

I saw a post when stock was dwindling, so I'm glad to hear they'll keep making them. I'm gonna try to keep the 3 pane just because that's what came with the truck, but if something horrendous happens, it's always good to have options. I wish the same could be said for some of the other comanche specific parts! 

13 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well I'll be damned, sounds like a need to find a new glass shop. But I probably called about a dozen places. Only 2 were even willing to discuss installing a junkyard sourced rear windshield. The custom place wasn't even interested in cutting a single pane for me. Another place wanted $1200 for a CRL 4 piece installed. It's been a journey to say the least. 

The junkyard that had the damaged one removed it from the car-part registry, so maybe someone snagged it. 

6 hours ago, TheDude said:

If you mean meet in Pittsburgh we can do that, otherwise I don't have the free time to go out towards Lancaster at the moment.

Oh, sorry, yeah I meant in pittsburgh, it's not too far out of my way. I'll shoot you a DM about it! 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

ooo!  that reminds me, I have a partially disassembled window!  lemme go see which side is missing...

Bah! I appreciate you looking! I'm not even sure I'd know what to do if I had the separate pieces, anyways. Thanks, though! 

3 hours ago, vanquishings said:

Bah! I appreciate you looking! I'm not even sure I'd know what to do if I had the separate pieces, anyways. Thanks, though! 

pull window, take it apart, replace glass, reinstall window.  :D 

I have one with a missing center window you can have. As for the CR Laurence 4 pane, it takes time to get it installed right but the quality is excellent. Most glass shops won't take the time to really fit it properly by conforming the aluminum trim to the cab opening.

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I have one with a missing center window you can have. As for the CR Laurence 4 pane, it takes time to get it installed right but the quality is excellent. Most glass shops won't take the time to really fit it properly by conforming the aluminum trim to the cab opening.

Where are you located? I may be interested, even if it's missing a middle. I've been told that's the easiest pane to replace. And I do have a good middle portion, already.

I didn't realize there was aluminum involved in the CRL, that's gotta be the reason that guy seemed ho hum about them. 

6 minutes ago, vanquishings said:

Where are you located? I may be interested, even if it's missing a middle. I've been told that's the easiest pane to replace. And I do have a good middle portion, already.

I didn't realize there was aluminum involved in the CRL, that's gotta be the reason that guy seemed ho hum about them. 

Located in northwest Arkansas. The CRL has an aluminum border build in that needs to be “massaged” for a perfect fit. 

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Located in northwest Arkansas. The CRL has an aluminum border build in that needs to be “massaged” for a perfect fit. 

Ahh, okay. Little far for a road trip for me. Would you be willing to ship it? I'd be happy to cover costs and kick you some extra cash, as well! Hearing that about the CRL makes me want to continue to seek the 3 piece. I definitely don't trust myself with the regular epoxy, so I doubt some guy at a mobile glass spot would put great care into massaging an aluminum frame. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

find a glass place that is willing to put in the effort.  if for no other reason than to know where you can go in the future for quality work. :D 

Proving to be quite the challenge. And easier said than done. Used safelite on my daily driver without any headache, but this older glass is no joke! 

15 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’m in the process of removing it still but I should have it out in a few days. I don’t mind shipping it at all if you send a label. No need for anything extra, happy to help :L:

Take your time, I'll be out of town this weekend, anyways. ! I'll shoot you a PM about shipping. Still waiting to hear back from @TheDude about his potential back glass. But it'd be cool to have one to see if I can combine two broken ones and make a complete one! 

• 2 weeks later...