B I G Money

WahooSteeler

CJ8's are as popular as muscle cars now. Some people are willing to pay big money for them. :nuts: I really don't see why they are so valuable.. after all they are a jeep ;) To each his own. You have to keep in mind that most of these rigs have been used and abused, and the ones that haven't have been kept on the farm in a barn. Most of them rusted away.

i have seen it. It has under 1000 miles on it which makes it as valueable as its sticker price.. maybe, i mean .. it is still a used car. Collins Bros. has some gorgeous jeeps but, they are quite a bit on the pricey side look at some of their cj's.

my cousin sold them a 10k orig miles cj7 it was triple gold with gold eagle package, 8 track player, Levi's interior, factory sunroof in the hard top, and to top it off it had a 304ci v8 with 3 on the floor. They drove to Pa from Texas to get it. and gave him 12k for it. They then did jack $#!& to it and sold it for 25k. That is why i wouldn't deal with Collins brothers.

i have seen it. It has under 1000 miles on it which makes it as valueable as its sticker price.. maybe, i mean .. it is still a used car. Collins Bros. has some gorgeous jeeps but, they are quite a bit on the pricey side look at some of their cj's.

my cousin sold them a 10k orig miles cj7 it was triple gold with gold eagle package, 8 track player, Levi's interior, factory sunroof in the hard top, and to top it off it had a 304ci v8 with 3 on the floor. They drove to Pa from Texas to get it. and gave him 12k for it. They then did jack $#!& to it and sold it for 25k. That is why i wouldn't deal with Collins brothers.

for a private party sale on a jeep that old thats hella good though! he never would've gotten 25k for it

I don't hate on ppl who have more money then the get sense. If some one is willing to pay that price let them. It is all about free market, and capitalism.

A1

ALl I have to say.. I have bought things with the express purpose of reselling or trading for something I want. If your cousin got what he wanted for his rig (obviously he did cause he sold it), you really can't hate on them for reselling it at a profit. I agree all their stuff is way over priced, but if ppl continue to pay it... they will continue to charge it :brows:

After all PT Barnum said "there is a sucker born every minute."

don't get me wrong,

i don't think that they are wrong for making a profit. i guess my problem lies with the person who pays more for a 28 yr old cj7 than a brand new JK, then takes it home and makes it a garage queen. too many of these people wil keep the cj out of the price range of the average working joe. Kind of like what happened to the flatfenders for the most part.

but when people buy jeeps as collectors just to say they have one. they arent real jeepers they are no different than the yuppie who buys the H1 that never sees dirt. To know the brand heritage and to love the jeep for what it is is different. most people like this aren't willing to pay the extremely high prices @ Collins brothers or the place in Calif. I love Comanche's, I have wanted one since i was a kid. But, if you put a 1992 Lwb 4x4 4.0 with 1,500 miles on it and shiny paint in front of me then ask me for 25 grand of my hard earned money, I'd tell you to take a walk. I plan on restoring my MJ but it will see lots of use when its done. and if its perfect i may ask 2 grand for it

feerocknok, hilarious -- 692 mile truggy, freakin cracked me up.

pingpong -- x2; i was gonna post and say the EXACT same thing (guess we think alike here in VA, although I just moved back after being in Steel City for 4yrs), but i'm still kinda new around here and "observing" people's personalities through their topics and comments. LUS, if the guy's cousin let it go, it means he was satisfied with what he got, and Collins knows they have buyers, errr, fags according to swamped, that live outside of TX who will pay top dollar because it says Collins on it. Point being, I'm sure a lot of you guys who do all your own wrenchin' and make regular trips to the JY have bought and sold parts at a profit. If you paid $10 for a part and sold it for $20, you didn't make $10, you made 100% profit. So did Collins.

A1, I'm not necessarily defending Collins, at all. But in addition to not being fair to hate on people who have money to burn, and unfortunately I'm not in that group, you can't hate on those who don't go wheelin all the time. Hell, I bought my Manche because 1) I've always thought they were cool, 2) I like things that are unique, 3) I needed something to work around the house with, and 4) because I could get it cheap. I've always wanted a Scrambler, and still do, but even the beaters are more than I'm willing or able to pay for now just to acquire. It's cool your passionate about wheelin, and obviously you believe in being fair. So I tell you what, after you cherry up that MJ of yours, and EVEN after you wheel it hard, PLEASE pm me first when you are ready to sell it for $2k, 'cause if you're as uncapitalistic as you say you are, I'll know I'm getting a killer deal and won't even try to negotiate you down! Ha!

And may I step off my soapbox to leave you all with the following: opinons are like farts; they all stink, but the only ones you like are your own. :brows:

wahoo,

i think you misread me. i am not advocating Marxism here, i have no problem with people making a profit.

The problem lies with the people that by them(cj's, wranglers, etc) to use purely for the street just because it looks macho or buy them for their daughter because she thinks its "cute" or she will look good in it. And I'm not saying if you don't wheel you aren't a jeeper. It makes sense not to wheel if you can't afford the repairs if you break something or just don't like it. Jeep has more heritage and capability than just wheeling.

Don't get me wrong people have a right to buy with their money whatever they want for what ever purpose they see fit. That is one of the reasons so many have died for this country. But, I am not one to sit here with my mouth shut while my beloved jeep brand is turned into a junior hummer yuppie pleaser. Power locks and windows? ... a four door?...Nav system? why, because people complained that the wrangler wasn't comfortable enough or posh enough. For the love of peat people, buy a Hummer if you want that crap. and leave my wrangler alone. most of us here (i feel i speak the truth) love the MJ and jeeps in general because they are tough as nails, go like hell, are predictable, and are simple and reliable. I use the wrangler as an example because it was the last Bastian of true jeep-ness for the longest time, simple as they come. So if you suck the simple out of a wrangler, make it ride nice, give it all the electronic goodies and make it wider and longer.....what do you have? a wrangler in name only. I am also not vilifying the rest of the jeep line as they all have their place.

The Comanche, as it is a pickup truck is not necessarily a "wheeling vehicle" unless modified somewhat. So i can't say anything about someone who buys it just to look macho. this as i have stated ..albeit confusingly..is my issue.

as far as Wheeling goes hell, mine is 2wdso you know that won't be happening! I know what i have. being in the car business most of my young adult life. you have to sell it for what its worth and at the end of the day it is still (despite the nostalgia) a 20yr old pickup with 158k on it. :roll:

but that is my opinion.....

I hear ya. I guess I thought you were lumping "everybody else" into the same group if they weren't a jeeper. Otherwise, I agree that some people buy jeeps for all the wrong reasons. As a motorcycle fan, I guess I can relate to what you're saying to a lot of people riding Hogs, or even a lot of the punks on crotch rockets that barely even know how to ride (Kellen Winslow!).

What part of Da Burgh do you live in? I lived in the Peters/Canonsburg area for 4+ years until last September. Took me awhile to get used to it there, but my wife and I miss it now. I've always been a Steelers fan, so that was great to be able to go to some games. I miss all the good food! :cheers:

odd situation actually, i am from Elizabeth lived there most of my life then i got married moved to tallahassee, then a year later moved back to pa but to Ellwood city which is in the southern tip of Lawence county. Which is where my wife is from.

on the motorcycle front i totally agree with what your saying. my sister in-law's ex boyfriend bought a suzuki crotch rocket, he never even sat on a bike! then he started riding like an a$$hole once he got the hang of riding(i.e. passing on the shoulder, riding without a helmet while he still had a permit). i learned to ride on a dual-sport and borrow my uncles 883 from time to time. I know Harleys just from my uncle and my dad having them and i know the Harley story and the brand heritage i have been to york and toured the assembly plant. I can't afford a Harley, but i would love a Fat boy. Why, because its the sound, and the spirit you can feel when you ride a Harley. there are people out there (these would be the aforementioned yuppies) who want a Harley just to show off or feel like a biker when they are around their friends. believe me we are on the same page now.

cool. yeah, started riding dirt bikes when i was 8, started racing motox just for fun when i got out of college. i've done a decent amount of riding on sport bikes and a couple of harleys. i'd actually like to own one of each, they're such different experiences.

i'm familiar with both elizabeth and ellwood city. just passed through/around them a few times, but i know where they are.

MY first bike was a 69 rigid sposter chopper :eek: It had an 12" over girder on the front.. no front brake and a 21" front tire :nuts: It rode like crap... and I dumped it. Had a blast building it the first time. It came to me in the back of a honda civic :roll: 30 days later it was together... 5 days after that I almost killed myself :oops:

MY view on Harley is..why am I going to pay you top dollar for something that I am going to customize. I would just as soon buy a kit bike from one of the websites and have a Pong Fab chop.. instead of a cookie cutter bike

I was :nuts: I got rid of it after I dumped it. I bought it for 900, after I spent a bouty 30 days messing with it.. Painted the tins, changed it from a magneto to a distributor. and switched from shot gun pipes to some drag pipes. I wrecked it. got paid 4200 from the insurance company.. then sold it.. taken apart for rebuild due to the wreck for another 2500. THats what I would call a good return on investment

The problem lies with the people that by them(cj's, wranglers, etc) to use purely for the street just because it looks macho or buy them for their daughter because she thinks its "cute" or she will look good in it.

These are my favorite kind of people. Seriously if all those people back in the day hadn't bought MJs only because they look good there wouldn't be a straight fender or bed out there in the world. It's the posers of today who create good straight used Jeeps and parts for the future.

CJ8's are as popular as muscle cars now. Some people are willing to pay big money for them. :nuts: I really don't see why they are so valuable.. after all they are a jeep ;) To each his own. You have to keep in mind that most of these rigs have been used and abused, and the ones that haven't have been kept on the farm in a barn. Most of them rusted away.

One reason they are worth a lot is there were just over 27,000 made in the 5 years they were produced and just as you said, most where driven into the ground or rotted away.

I am glad I have 2 in the yard. :D