1988 Pioneer Long Bed Metric Ton Edition DD

Decided to replace my leaking freeze plug. I had replaced the ones in the side of the block several years ago. Also replaced my leaking rear pinion seal, and preventativly replaced the trans pump seal.

PXL_20220710_190646351.jpg.f56e2ac885aa201739b6f29a370eae1c.jpg

PXL_20220710_190704421_MP.jpg.aaa4d97a68b320d1fa39afe3d30211d0.jpg

My rear main seal was also leaking so I decided to replace it, and while I had the pan off it made sense to me to install a new oil pump and inspect the bearings. Main bearings are in great condition but I suppose with so many of them to share the load that is to be expected. 

Connecting rod bearings with about 136,000 miles on them.

PXL_20220725_220048020_MP.jpg.76e717dbb12748fc3d561d3a576a08b4.jpg

Yes, well I am going to making some 850 mile long round trips for work soon, down to where the temps are 100+. 

So after taking care of the important things (like AC, and a decent stereo system) I had to make sure I wouldn't break down.

I bought a used lumber rack off craigslist for $100 and modified it to fit the truck. I lucked out finding a rack that was close to what I wanted and made from common materials (mild-steel square tubing). I had the widen the entire rack by 3.25" and extend the legs by 2.5". One of the "legs" was damaged and had to be replaced entirely.

Also fabricated mounting brackets that accept two campershell hold-downs per bracket, and designed it so that the rack and campershell can be used at the same time. The shell is a bit taller than the cab so the rack looks a little high when the shell is not on. still plan to round off the corners on the mounting brackets.

Tested the rack with about 600 lbs of friends bouncing around on it.

PXL_20220727_024926705_MP.jpg.4378c1fd46e312f9d739c54c30b04ac8.jpg

- Got the new rod bearings installed today. Oil clearance was exactly in the middle of desired clearance range.

- New melling HV pump installed. I even had room to install the oil pump without having the pan sitting in place this time.

- New rear-main seal installed

- New oil pan (old one was too rusty) and new gasket.

- Replaced swaybar end-links because I saw they needed it. They were only around 5 years old. The bushings on the trackbar were poly and still perfectly fine, so I decided to use poly bushings for the end-links.

Floating the river tomorrow so no progress will be made. I should have her back on the road this weekend.

Still to do on this round of work;

- re-attach drag-link and track-bar

- replace o-rings on oil filter adapter

- replace oil filter

- fill oil

- install TC on trans

- install shield plate thing

- mate trans to engine (flexplate/bellhousing)

- trans mount and crossmember

- elec/vac lines/ speed sensor ect

- clean 4WD switch (sticks in 4WD)

- rehang exhaust

- replace exhaust donut?

- install drivelines (replace u-joints?)

- replace water pump with Flow-kooler

- thermostat

- fill coolant

- check transmission fluid level

- prime oil (I plan to disconnect CPS and crank to prime)

- release e-brake

- TEST DRIVE

- recheck fluids and inspect for leaks

New paint job coming soon. House of Kolor Sno White Pearl

And everything that isn't already chrome, I have sitting in boxes waiting to be installed after the paint job. Except side view mirrors. :sad:

I tried 3 passenger side mirrors from Quadratec and they all had similar imperfections in the chrome plating.

Also converting to full sized windows and ditching the wing vents as part of the paint job. I already have all the parts to do it.

Get a Bigger Window in Your Old XJ or MJ

• 2 weeks later...

Trans is back in. Decided to replace the motor mounts as well. Not much left to be back on the road with no known mechanical issues.

Looking forward to the new paint and chrome.

All that's left;

- plug in CPS
- replace exhaust donut
- install drivelines
- install air cleaner box
- fill coolant
- run engine and cycle thru all gears
- check transmission fluid level
- release e-brake
- TEST DRIVE

• 5 weeks later...

Completed another round of fixes and improvements recently. The leaking freeze plug on the back of the engine block finally had to be addressed, took the opportunity to do some other things.

Rear pinion seal replaced (had a slight leak). Inspected the diff (looked surprisingly good) and replaced the fluid.

Replaced leaking freeze plug (all other freeze plugs had been replaced 4-5 years ago)

Replaced trans front pump seal (preventative)

Replaced torque converter

Connecting rod bearings

Replaced rod bearings

New HV oil pump

New oil pan and gasket

FlowKooler water pump and redline water wetter (ime very worthwhile)

Thermostat

Lower rad hose (upper was replaced when I converted to open cooling system)

Swaybar end-links

Valve cover gasket

Cruiser's Tip 25 (valve cover mod)

New oil filler cap

Only one applicable Cruiser's Tips remains, "reducing cabin wind noise".

Soon to come,

Paint job (House of Kolor Snow White Pearl)

97+ windows and relocated sideview mirrors

On 7/26/2022 at 11:05 PM, EUREKA said:

I bought a used lumber rack off craigslist for $100 and modified it to fit the truck. I lucked out finding a rack that was close to what I wanted and made from common materials (mild-steel square tubing). I had the widen the entire rack by 3.25" and extend the legs by 2.5". One of the "legs" was damaged and had to be replaced entirely.

Also fabricated mounting brackets that accept two campershell hold-downs per bracket, and designed it so that the rack and campershell can be used at the same time. The shell is a bit taller than the cab so the rack looks a little high when the shell is not on. still plan to round off the corners on the mounting brackets.

Tested the rack with about 600 lbs of friends bouncing around on it.

PXL_20220727_024926705_MP.jpg.4378c1fd46e312f9d739c54c30b04ac8.jpg

I'd love to see the cap mounted with the rack on. I had an idea very similar years back I tried to get a member here to build for me but he had a lot of stuff already going on.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had basically no rust on the floor pans. Painted with rust bullet automotive and rust bullet blackshell, then did 80 mil (2mm) butyl sound deadener, then 10mm heat shield mat sound deadener. Installed 6.5" kickers in the b-pillars using theses, https://boxyjeep.com/products/jeep-comanche-6-5-rear-speaker-brackets from boxyjeep.

Still have to do,

a-pillars

headliner

sun visors

rearview

rear window

windsheild

convert drivers side to full sized glass (already did passenger side)

door speakers

door panels

new chrome door handles and side views

and fender flares

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

The graphics really make the truck, looking awesome sir!

Agreed! Looks so good it became MJOTM.