I am overheating and I need it fixed yesterday

4 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

The thing I like about the open system is that I simply understand it better and therefore can troubleshoot problems easier.  Seems much more resilient in my opinion.  When I converted mine, I kept the original renix radiator (no fill port) and bought a in-line filler neck and installed it on my upper radiator hose.  Dumped my problematic pressurized tank and replaced with a junkyard XJ overfill bottle.  

Doing the in-line water fill neck route, I didn't have to buy a new radiator for the conversion and saved a lot of money that I didn't necessarily have at the time.  Also, I didn't have to fool with a T-stat housing/sensor swap and mod that I think is involved.  This might be a desirable option for you if you're tight on funds and your radiator is in fact still good.

Good luck on getting this all behind you.

Thanks I appreciate it. I think I am going to go more the full open system conversion. I have a parts xj that makes that a whole lot easier. I just want something I can install and not have to mess with for years to come

12 minutes ago, jdog said:

Yes

ok sweet so I just have to get some new hoses. I still don't know what to do about the cherokee. it has a perfectly good HO in it. my dad suggested I pull the engine and harness and put it on a palet in the yard or something.

7 hours ago, jdog said:

depends on your plans

I would like to build the spare HO (stroker maybe??)in a year or 3 so fully HO swap because my renix has 312 and counting. 

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

wouldn't be the first time I've pulled good parts and set them aside.  do it and worry about plans later. :D  be sure to cover them from weather exposure. 

thats smart. the new shop has a overhead s shape with a chain hoist idk about getting the block on a pallet and out of the way. Whats the best way to stop rust from getting to it? just soak it in wd40?

WD40 should not be used as a rust inhibitor.  it dissolves way too many things and then more or less evaporates with enough time.  search youtube for engine storage.  I'm sure there are some vids on it.  :L:  the most important thing is to keep moisture from getting into the engine through the exhaust or the intake.  if you leave the manifolds on the engine, it makes that job a lot easier. :D 

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

For engine storage, use fluid film. It’s lanolin based and won’t break down rubber and plastic like most petroleum based products. It will definitely prevent rust. We even use it to fog engines internally here to protect from salt. Works very well. 

thats genius