Transit connect : new or used

ftpiercecracker1

I've decided to buy a transit connect for my business (handyman), but i am struggling to determine whether or not to buy new or used.

The point of this purchase is to improve my business's image and have something more practical to work out of.

A bare bones connect 2022 model is about $26k. I have found that a decent used one (clean body w/ minor imperfections, 100k miles and 8 years old) is still commanding 17k and up.

For whatever reason 2017 model and newer are what the internet says are the best years. These are going for 20k and up.

Just looking for advice.

Given the market is it worth it to just buy new?

What experience do you have with transit connects?

Are the older models reliable?

How many miles is to many? 

There are a lot of 2015s with 70-110k miles for between 13-17k.

I don’t know if the newer ones are any different, but we have a couple 2012ish at work, and they’re not great. It’s all Focus running gear and hardware so we’ve never had issues sourcing parts, but Focus hardware isn’t entirely up to the task of being a work truck. They do okay, maintenance wise they’re not that much worse than anything else, but if you’re crewed by ham-fisted 200lb gorillas, the parts drivers touch will fall apart. We “upgraded” one of our plumbers to a 2006 Uplander from another department once the Transit got too rough, at around 130,000 miles, and he’ll also tell you it was a nice upgrade.

If you find yourself sourcing tires, make sure you double check load and pressure ratings, don’t just go by size. There are lots of options in Focus sizes, but again, not all Focus things are rated for truck life.

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

I don’t know if the newer ones are any different, but we have a couple 2012ish at work, and they’re not great. It’s all Focus running gear and hardware so we’ve never had issues sourcing parts, but Focus hardware isn’t entirely up to the task of being a work truck. They do okay, maintenance wise they’re not that much worse than anything else, but if you’re crewed by ham-fisted 200lb gorillas, the parts drivers touch will fall apart. We “upgraded” one of our plumbers to a 2006 Uplander from another department once the Transit got too rough, at around 130,000 miles, and he’ll also tell you it was a nice upgrade.

If you find yourself sourcing tires, make sure you double check load and pressure ratings, don’t just go by size. There are lots of options in Focus sizes, but again, not all Focus things are rated for truck life.

Thanks for the insight. From what I've seen on the internet 2017 and newer seems to be what's recommended.  Any 2017 and newer are all going for $20k+.

I don't plan on using it to hard, just a mobile tool hauler really. I've got my truck and flatbed trailer for heavy loads of materials. 

Everything that is even remotely reasonably priced has about 75k+ and is 7-8 years old. With dealer fees and what not $18k and up seem to be the going rate. 

I've test drove 2 so far. A 16 and a 15. Even empty I felt like I was winding them out with just moderate driving.

No matter what I do I'm going to have to make payments.

It's really coming down to do I want to spend $26 for brand new and 0 miles or $18 for 7 years old and 80k miles..

I've bought a bunch of Transit Connects in the last few years for my company and they were in the 7k-9k range but I haven't bought any since the market exploded.  All are 2011-2014 though, and they ALL needed new motor mounts.  I think companies just dump them when the mounts go bad.

Talk to your accountant about what would be better to write off at the end of the year as far as depreciation is concerned. A new one with a warranty might come out better on your end that way.

I don't have any experience with them, but I do with the Promaster and Promaster City. The promaster gasoline version has a Chrysler minivan drivetrain, and the City has basically a Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl drivetrain. The dealer I worked for didnt sell many so I didnt get a ton of experience with them other than other vehicles with the same drivetrain, each of which had its own issues.