89 Pioneer 4X4 Long bed, Dayton, OH - $20K

• 3 weeks later...

To my fellow MJ owners, why do you want the value of your trucks to stay low? This is a supply and demand market. What will it take for an MJ to be worth 20k+? Another 30 years?? These are collector cars now. The few beaters that are left out there will hopefully either be parted out or be restored. Either way, value is going up. If all MJ’s were for sale for 15k+ then that would raise the price floor. 

40 minutes ago, scaleless said:

We want MJs to stay accessible to people who want to enjoy them rather than the inevitable end of all remaining MJs sitting for years in some 80s-themed garage collection.

It would be nice to see them in the hands of people who actually care about them. From what I’ve seen, the less someone pays the less they appreciate what they have. If we don’t sell then they won’t end up in anyone’s 80’s themed collection. If we do sell, it’s good to have a healthy market. 

@ghetdjc320 I understand where you're coming from in the thought that asking more may influence future sale prices. 

Today, there are only a few buyers for this truck @ $18K.  A collector (with more dollars than sense*), someone looking for a

clean foundation for restoration or modification with deeps pockets* and, MGM for a movie prop that they can write off.  Maybe a 

builder somewhere who wants to show off their skills/imagination with plans to sell or auction it off afterward.

It pains me to say it, but as rare as our little trucks have become, they will never be high value collectables.  

44 minutes ago, scaleless said:

That's what people said about Wagoneers and CJs just 10-20 years ago

I think that’s when everyone realized that the quality and quantity of modern crap looking Jeeps have really shown the poor imagination and style that Jeep once had. 

6 hours ago, scaleless said:

Very true. I’d love to find a clean Grand Wagoneer but they are’s very hard to find anymore. In the late 90s early 2000s they were quite plentiful and cheap. IMO MJs are more collectible than almost any other regular production Jeep out there. It just still really is bothersome to seem them as beaters out there. I think we’re gradually turning the corner on seeing people beat on their MJ’s but it’s a painful process when you know there are so few left. Oh well, it’s what has to happen to prime the market. I’m not looking to sell at all but eventually I think we are all going to realize we own very valuable collector trucks and that the market will eventually be much higher than the prices some currently view as ludicrous. 

21 hours ago, scaleless said:

Even clean xj's command a premium. 10 years ago I bought 2 in one day for under 1000 each and they were clean just needed mechanical work, now rusty turds are like 2k and clean ones 6k and up depending on mileage. 

On 8/4/2021 at 10:28 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

It would be nice to see them in the hands of people who actually care about them. From what I’ve seen, the less someone pays the less they appreciate what they have. If we don’t sell then they won’t end up in anyone’s 80’s themed collection. If we do sell, it’s good to have a healthy market. 

I bought my MJ for $300 (up to $1200 with repairs and small upgrades) and I plan to treat her with all the respect she deserves and keep her maintained to the best of my abilities. Just because something was cheap doesn't mean the owner is as well...

5 hours ago, thousender said:

I bought my MJ for $300 (up to $1200 with repairs and small upgrades) and I plan to treat her with all the respect she deserves and keep her maintained to the best of my abilities. Just because something was cheap doesn't mean the owner is as well...

That’s great! Not common, but great. 

6 hours ago, thousender said:

makes me so happy to hear that. :L:   over the last couple decades I've heard countless stories from guys that paid near nothing for their trucks and seemed determined to keep that truck cheap purely because it was initially cheap. :(