Interesting find today- instrument cluster

schardein

3 minutes ago, scaleless said:

That is the 93-96 XJ police package speedometer.  The XJ would also have the fairly rare Extended Idle switch.

img_20120519_112233_70ced5fd10df239be4b52df9c4e9223e6f31e696.jpg.6a8ae7a0c5c358334c940715a88a72ae.jpg

Yep... and no.  Did you notice it's also right hand drive?  The XJ was set up as a postal vehicle.  No idea if it was sold as a postal vehicle, but it had a home made shelf on the left side for mail.

Also, I have two police package clusters, one with a column shift indicator and one without.  Both of them say "certified calibration" on the speedometer.

This one doesn't say "certified calibration" and didn't have the extended idle switch.

It did have a factory type sticker in the glove box saying it was equipped with a locking type differential.  It was a Dana 35, I assume it was a trac-lock.

Pic of my column shift police cluster.

20160813.jpeg

Nearly positive I've seen a RHD XJ in the junkyard with the "certified calibrated" speedometer too. It had a NP242 and an unusual tow hook setup as well. Looking back on it, I should have brought several parts of that XJ home.

Are the transfer cases in the RHD XJs special?

6 hours ago, Minuit said:

Nearly positive I've seen a RHD XJ in the junkyard with the "certified calibrated" speedometer too. It had a NP242 and an unusual tow hook setup as well. Looking back on it, I should have brought several parts of that XJ home.

I think the transfer case is the same.  I belive a RHD had the same center console as the LHD so I don't think the linkage or tcase is special.

Disclaimer: Definately not an expert on the subject just going by what I have seen in the junkyards.

Regarding the speedometer, in Canada it was common during the 70s' and early 80s' for vehicles to have both Imperial and metric markings. It was the other way around though ... metric on the outside and Imperial in a smaller font on the inside.   It was our government's way of telling us not to speed!   I'm pretty sure it was abandoned by the time the first XJs were produced though.   My '88 MJ and '89 XJ have metric only gauges. 

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

sweet find!  :L:   I've got one too.  I think it might even be a 96.  I snagged the mint "passenger" (driver) seat too. 

The left seat was missing from this one, the home made platform for mail in it's place:(

10 hours ago, Minuit said:

I don't think the transfer cases are different.

This is the first 120mph speedometer I've seen without the "certified calibration".  I wonder if there is any significance to it, or if it was just dropped at some point.

Don't intend to turn this into a tech thread, but

I'm wondering if the gauges could be swapped into a LHD housing.

Also, on the RHD XJs, something that is different is the engine accessory mounting stuff.  The alternator mount is high up and has the belt adjustment in it.  One of my future projects to use this mount on a early HO engine, along with the 99+ horseshoe intake manifold and matching P/S setup.  This does away with the belt driven fan capability and would result in two adjustment points for the drive belt.  Main goal is highest possible alternator mounting and simple/neat engine accessory brackets in a Jeep CJ swap application.

IMG_1111.jpeg