looking for a specific wrench...

Pete M

and google is not helping much.  after stripping a caliper bolt head on the PT cruiser yesterday (got it off with a 6pt socket), I've decided I want to replace the 12mm and 14mm 12pt wrenches in the brakejob bag with 6pt.  but honestly the perfect wrench for this job would be a 6point 12mm/14mm combo with a 0* angle box head, no ratcheting mechanism (so I can whack it with a hammer), and maybe even longer than normal.  does anyone know of a wrench that fits the bill?  before I go and compromise with one of the aspects, I figured I'd ask around.  :beerchug:

I have a couple of box head wrenches (sockets) that I put to the wheel grinder and flat'in them out. What I'm trying to say is I took the lip off the box or socket that has no bite on it. Once I did this man do them wrenches grab hold of whatever your taking off.

1 hour ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Sounds like you could grab two super cheap wrenches with the correct ends and a welder to create the perfect tool. Make it exactly as long as you want. But I am ok with hillbilly'ing whatever I need, which might not fit your personality.

that thought has occurred to me :D , but my "welder" is a harbor freight sticker and I'm not sure I trust it's capabilities when it matters (aka hammering on the new wrench near my face).  it's job is to hold 2 pieces of steel together juuuust long enough to haul it to a pro.  :laugh:  I really should invest in a decent welder.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

that thought has occurred to me :D , but my "welder" is a harbor freight sticker and I'm not sure I trust it's capabilities when it matters (aka hammering on the new wrench near my face).  it's job is to hold 2 pieces of steel together juuuust long enough to haul it to a pro.  :laugh:  I really should invest in a decent welder.

Tool building such as this is where those cheap little welders shine. Cheap just means slightly more crude than a fancy model. The electricity shoved through the metal is still of the same "quality" as an expensive welder.  Really depends on the operator. There are welders that could do more with a hobo freight welder that I could do with a brand new miller. don't underestimate the machines ability. It will make a wrench just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just flipping through the Snap-on catalogue and remembered this thread. Only came up with what had already been come up with.

Figured I’d post up just to complain about the lack of six-sided wrenches out there. Most of us know better than to use 12-pointed sockets on a six-sided bolt if we can avoid it, but put a wrench on it and suddenly 12-points are okay?

I was dropping my ZJ’s front driveshaft earlier this week and chose to do it in my driveway instead of at work. This meant dragging out my “lesser” home tools, specifically the Mastercraft long handled wrenches to get at the bolts on the tcase yoke. It honestly looked like the shaft had never been out to change any of the ujoints, which is surprising at ~200,000miles, but there you go. The lack of clearance meant I couldn’t even get an Xtra-shallow 1/4” socket on there, at least not with the ratchets I had at home. I don’t know if I’d had a better quality 12-point set at home or not it wouldn’t have happened, but one of the bolt heads stripped out. The only six-point wrenches I have are a stubby set, and I had to put a pipe on it to get enough torque… even just 20ft-lbs is 80lbs on the end of a 3” wrench, which is difficult when there’s only room  on the wrench for a couple fingers. 
But yeah. As far as six pointed box ends on the wrenches go in the Snap-on catalog, there’s standard length and stubby, and then the one posted above and the same wrench as a 13-15mm and I don’t even see a standard equivalent for those, just the two metrics. Otherwise the next best 6-pointers are just the flare wrenches, which I guess are better but still not ideal. I don’t have a paper Mac catalogue but they don’t hand much better options from what I can see on the website, although they do make a pretty wide range of six-pointed ratcheting wrenches, which Snap-on doesn’t outside of a handful of double-ended ones. But I’m always nervous about breaking bolts loose with  a ratcheting wrench… I’ve picked up a few too many from shared toolboxes that ratchet in both directions…