To the Dealership Guys - Vehicle ID’s

Dammerung

16 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

There’s a digit in the VIN that usually points that out and there’s a sales code for such too on the build sheets. 

A VIN digit for the tow package? I don't think so. It's on the build sheet, of course, but not in the VIN.

VIN explanation from my 1988 Comanche FSM:

1 - Country of manufacture

2 - Company make (J = Jeep)

3 - Type (T = Truck)

4 - Engine type

5 - Trannsmission

6 & 7 - Series

8 - Trim package

9 - Check digit

10 -  Model year

11 -  Plant of manufacture

12 thru 17 - Serial number

17 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I thought there was since Fiat has been pulling Metric Tons and I didn’t think the Metric Ton was its stand alone trim. 

might have something to do with the MT altering the GVWR and that would be in the VIN.  :dunno:

oddly enough, the 87-90 parts manual has a slightly different order of the VIN explanation. :thinking:

the 87-90 parts manual contains no mention of an MJ hitch.  only a lightduty and a heavyduty for the XJ and a pintle hitch for the J series. 

leads me to believe that the hitch might have been like the sunroof.  :dunno: 

I haven’t really seen reference to a specific tow package either. The owners manuals refer to a list of required equipment for max towing, class 3 hitch, auto trans, metric ton axle/suspension, and HD cooling and charging systems.

The GVWR is reflected in the VIN, above/below certain thresholds, which is a giveaway about metric ton package. But I don’t think much else is reflected in the VIN.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I thought there was since Fiat has been pulling Metric Tons and I didn’t think the Metric Ton was its stand alone trim. 

What do you mean by “pulling metric tons?” For reasons that escape logic my anxiety and overachieving imagination are suggesting it means they’re somehow gathering them up to withold them from us.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

What I mean from that is he with his parts catalogs is able to see which VIN digit is the Metric Ton package. So when I say “pulling metric tons” I just mean he is showing and saying the digit that is the identifier for the package. 

Haha I figured that was the case. But sometimes you just have to ask.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

I do believe the 4th digit would be an M for a Metric Ton.  the 4th digit is the GVWR.

The 4th digit for the AMC years is the engine type.

I don't have a '91 or '92 FSM so I can't offer any wisdom for the HO years of the MJ, but I do have a '94 Jeep FSM.

1 - Country of manufacture (1=U.S.)

2 - Company make (J = Jeep)

3 - Vehicle Type

4 - GVWR

5 - Line (i.e. Cherokee 2WD, Cherokee 4WD, Wrangler)

6 - Series (i.e. Trim Level)

7 - Body

8 - Engine

9 - Check digit

10 -  Model year

11 -  Plant of manufacture

12 thru 17 - Serial number

6 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

So the tow package could simply be a sales code that might no longer exist or has been over written on Chryslers side.

Correct.

And don't forget there was a "Tow Package," which included the hitch and wiring; and there was the "Tow Prep Package," which was the heavy duty cooling system and tranny cooler, but no hitch or trailer wiring.