Marble sound in transmission, kills engine in neutral. Where should I start looking?[1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0L]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, OldManComanche said:

Remove CPS before you unbolt the transmission. Do Crusiers tip on the sensor before you put it back in. (it makes a noticeable difference)

Ill have to look into that. CPS is only thing I have left to unhook. Then I'm going to break the bolts loose so theyre ready to go tomorrow for the swap.

It's E12, and I don't recommend a 12-point - that sounds like a good way to start rounding the head!

Inverse torx sockets are available from Home Depot, Lowes, and most auto parts stores.  Also Amazon, of course, if you can wait 2 days.

I seen that. I went and bought a set of torx (and inverse torx) sockets for it. I also sprayed some penetrating lubricant on the bolts again last night. I'm hoping that they arent too much of a pain. The guy i got the truck from replaced clutch roughly 3 years ago. I also went and bought a transmission jack just to be safe. Tomorrow I'm going to get this thing dropped and in the evening a friend of mine is gonna come help get the new one in.

5 minutes ago, scaleless said:

It's E12, and I don't recommend a 12-point - that sounds like a good way to start rounding the head!

Inverse torx sockets are available from Home Depot, Lowes, and most auto parts stores.  Also Amazon, of course, if you can wait 2 days.

I went to harbor freight. So hopefully they survive this job haha. If not my dad has a set of good ones i can pickup.

19 minutes ago, scaleless said:

yeah I agree I just heard that somewhere probably won't try that 

5 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

inverse torx is so gross like why on earth. Does it stop thieves from stealing your trans :sad2:

I invite any and all thieves to come steal the transmission that's in it. Save me some work. 😂

On 4/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, Jesse J said:

how?

The Torx bit was developed by The Camcar division of Textron.  It’s design is similar to that of a gear tooth (technically it’s an “involute spline”) and it spreads the fastener driving force over a larger area.

The MAIN advantage is that the tools used to drive Torx fasteners last MUCH longer in a production line environment.   

So now you know....😉