1JTML6517HT155716

Huntr

1987 Jeep Comanche

Comanche.jpg.5390cae0ddb02c56d841ce5b4b8fa64a.jpgD9DFEE1D-D8E8-4713-8A65-35E8A9916C0D.jpg.12e3f4e2334fbd0b4462ae7f2012ef71.jpg

Renix 4.0 / BA10 currently being swapped to AX15/ NP231 / Dana 30 Front / Dana 44 Rear / Long bed

Door sticker is long gone.

Current Location: Northern Utah

Status: Awaiting engine swap in the garage. Little to no rust or dents, she's just begging me to be built! 

Current owner: Me!

*A6 Seats
-YY  
3LR  
APA MONOTONE PAINT PACKAGE
BCQ Battery - 750 Amp Maintenance Free
CBA BENCH SEAT - STRAIGHT BK
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
DMR 4.10 Axle Ratio
DSA LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
ERB ENGINE - 4.0L I6 MPI GAS
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GSC MIRROR - RIGHT BLACK
HAA AIR CONDITIONING - FRONT
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
LAP FUEL ECONOMY SHIFT INDICATOR LIGHT
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MBJ Bumper - Front, Black
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
MWB SPORT BAR
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NMB ENGINE COOLING - STANDARD DUTY
PXH  
QXH  
SBA POWER STEERING
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN
TBB CONVENTIONAL SPARE TIRE
TBL TIRE CARRIER - INSIDE

Build date 5/4/87

Body code JL62

Sold by STEVE CHRISTY CHRY-JEEP, TUCSON AZ

1 hour ago, fiatslug87 said:

Interesting, it should have a sport bar from the factory but that's not an OE bar.

I thought the same thing after I got it home. It was clearly a full sized bar that has been cut down and welded to fit. I was also wondering about the factory paint color because it’s clearly been repainted at least once but they kept the sportruck decal. 

if it had a bar from the factory, it would have the extra rollbar mounts found between the frame and the bed.  :L: 

a lot of info was lost before chrysler got it into the computers (something about a basement flood), so your full build sheet is actually much longer. :( 

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

if it had a bar from the factory, it would have the extra rollbar mounts found between the frame and the bed.  :L: 

a lot of info was lost before chrysler got it into the computers (something about a basement flood), so your full build sheet is actually much longer. :( 

When I pull the bed off I'll check around for signs of those mounts. Not sure why they would have swapped rollbars. 

11 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

What is the two digit code on the ID plate in the engine compartment in location (1)? That is the paint code on an 87. I think yours was champagne metallic, if you get the code I can confirm.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks like you are correct in it being Champagne Metallic. Where the paint is chipping on the bed it definitely looks like its been through at least 2 other colors though. Thanks for all the help guys!

IMG_1858.JPG

you can just tip your head under the front of the bed.  the stock mounts look like this.  note that it looks like something should bolt to it?  yours will have something there. :L:  specifically the second half that the rollbar then bolts to.

P1010171.jpg

1 hour ago, Jesse J said:

but we are buddys in the sense of our trucks being awaiting to be built long beds!

Awesome to see some other people with Comanches so close! Might have to meet up one day after I get my truck further along and driving again. Any plans on cutting down your bed at all? I am highly considering it before I paint mine.

1 hour ago, Huntr said:

Awesome to see some other people with Comanches so close! Might have to meet up one day after I get my truck further along and driving again. Any plans on cutting down your bed at all? I am highly considering it before I paint mine.

nope keeping all 7' 

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

just armor up that @$$ and let it drag :D  

EXACTLY

On 3/3/2021 at 11:54 AM, Huntr said:

now let me ask are you?

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

now let me ask are you?

Planning on shortening it? Not right away, but eventually. I need to get it running and all my suspension moved over from the XJ first. I'm up against a time crunch because I might be moving in the next 6 months so realistically it'll be a year or two haha

2 minutes ago, Huntr said:

Planning on shortening it? Not right away, but eventually. I need to get it running and all my suspension moved over from the XJ first. I'm up against a time crunch because I might be moving in the next 6 months so realistically it'll be a year or two haha

makes sense I am gonna be on a time crunch come summer

I'm just pointing out that a 6" guy doesn't fit in a 6ft bed.  that's why I have a 7ft trailer. :D  armor it up and go!  if I found myself getting stuck a lot, then I might consider a chop.  but I'd for sure try it out first. :banana:

by the way, this used to be an offroad trailer.  the previous owner had it lifted 6" on 33s and dragged it all over the place. :comanche:  I wish he had armored it, but at least he never hacked anything.  it wasn't hard to pound out the dents in the lower quarters.

20190706_181219.jpg

looked like this when I bought it (dropped down to regular height of course or I couldn't have pulled it home)

10402860_976320292383389_2679803315579547657_n - Copy.jpg

you can build anything you want, it just takes steel. :D   can't remember who, but a couple guys on CC have done it kinda recently.  years ago I carved up the bed on my wheeler for more clearance.  soon after I regretted it because I found it completely unnecessary, but then I made peace with it because it's a rusty hunk of rust that drops rust every time you touch it.  :(  I could easily have fabbed a bumper that offered protection rather than thinking I needed to emulate the serious rock crawlers since I don't drive my truck like that.  

it's not too difficult either.  build/buy a bumper and then build a mini rocker guard on the side.  just don't hug the body too much.  I've seen guys ruin the sheetmetal because the bumper didn't protrude out far enough to keep that tree at bay when the truck is at a slight angle.  :(