Future for my rear axle

Okay so question for the fellas..

Lookin at the future for my rear axel, i've seen the replacement of the 8.8 a dozen times now and put a ton of logistical thoughts into it. I just don't know that I have the resources and machines to get it all done, let alone without making a huge mistakes.

So I'm wondering if I were to have it professionally done, does anyone have insight to what new styles or manufactures would be best? 

4.56s.  if I had a 2.5 and was paying for new gears, I might even jump to 4.88s.  but both are better than stock gears pushing bigger tires. :L: 

things you can do yourself:

-buy axle

-trim off all the old bracketry

-buy new perches and u bolts

things better left to the pros:

-setting up the gears

-welding on the perches

more things you can do yourself after they are done:

-install new axle

12 hours ago, JStone said:

So I'm wondering if I were to have it professionally done, does anyone have insight to what new styles or manufactures would be best? 

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to buy a new axle already set up to bolt in, or are you looking for a local shop to do the work?

There are several "boutique" shops that make new custom axles, but you are looking at $3000 to $6000. Like PeteM says, a newer axle can be adapted, and its reasonable to use your existing axle, with upgraded gears for your intended tire size. I would bet you could get by just fine just lifting your Comanche, installing 31" tires, driving hit for a year and figuring out what you want to do then.

No need to rush into spending a bunch of money.

The easiest way to make it ride "smoother" is to add several bags of sand to the bed. :P

13 hours ago, JStone said:

to put 31” tires with a 2-3 inch lift.

2 hours ago, JStone said:

Annnd I like have a project to look forward to

I had wanted to upgrade from my D35 soon after I bought my truck.  I was in no hurry, so I was periodically checking around for an MJ Dana 44.   The D44 from an MJ is the easiest swap--no mods, just plug and play.  But they're kind of hard to find.  By the way, my MJ had been running 31s since before I bought it.  i also have a couple inches of lift.

After a couple of years, I saw that my D35 was becoming noisy and I found the reason being, unbeknownst to me, that the axle seals had been secretly leaking.  There was no way I was going to spend a dime on that D35, so I intensified my search for a D44.  Luckily, within a couple of weeks, I found an MJ Dana 44 less than 2 hours from me.  It was the ratio I was satisfied with as well.  I nailed that bad boy and installed myself.  It was a great learning, knowledge-building experience

If you're rather low in cash reserves, have time on your side and your skill level is intermediate at best, then your best option might be to install your lift, slap on some 31s and roll with it until you can locate a D44 or slowly begin your 8.8 or 8.25 build back behind the scenes.  You'll earn some wrenching knowledge and experience and you may find that you're happy enough with your D35 until the day it kills over on you.   You'll also learn things like, "dang...my new shiny 31s rub my stock lower control arms (LCAs).  I need to buy aftermarket LCAs or install ones designed for a WJ."  ...Like I did.

If you're just desiring to regear, then I'd go ahead with the axle upgrade.  I wouldn't put a dime in reworking that D35.  Common opinion is that they're just not robust enough to justify that.

I’d like to have a smoother ride.

No sure exactly what you're getting at here.   An axle is not part of that equation.  

It's a great project.  Have fun with it.  

49 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

If you're rather low in cash reserves, have time on your side and your skill level is intermediate at best, then your best option might be to install your lift, slap on some 31s and roll with it until you can locate a D44 or slowly begin your 8.8 or 8.25 build back behind the scenes.  You'll earn some wrenching knowledge and experience and you may find that you're happy enough with your D35 until the day it kills over on you.   You'll also learn things like, "dang...my new shiny 31s rub my stock lower control arms (LCAs).  I need to buy aftermarket LCAs or install ones designed for a WJ."  ...Like I did

Thank you for the insight, this seems to be my case and I will take your advice and be patient with a solid build. And maybe learn some trick here and there till I’m in a better position to do it myself. 

By the way your build is pretty sweet.

What kind of paint did you use to go green?

51 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

probably am going to get rid of my current stock d44 if you are intrested

Where are you located? Like mentioned above, it sounds like these are not often to come across but do really well? 

Are You just upgrading? I’ve got time till this is a need but I’d like a project to look forward too for sure.

10 minutes ago, JStone said:

Where are you located? Like mentioned above, it sounds like these are not often to come across but do really well? 

Are You just upgrading? I’ve got time till this is a need but I’d like a project to look forward too for sure.

Dude. buy that from him NOW.

18 minutes ago, JStone said:

Thank you for the insight, this seems to be my case and I will take your advice and be patient with a solid build. And maybe learn some trick here and there till I’m in a better position to do it myself. 

By the way your build is pretty sweet.

What kind of paint did you use to go green?

I used Monstaliner WWII Olive Drab.  It's not really a paint, it's a bedliner material.  I rolled it on. Going on 3-years now I think and I'm tickled pink.  No issues.  No fading even with the truck staying outside 100% of the time.  

It had a crappy spraybalm paint job on it when I got it and I hated the thought of applying nice shiny paint because i get this truck out in the woods on occasion.  I'm real happy with it.  

By the way, besides a quick hose down I have never washed it.  Never seen soap and brush.  Yea, that's what I'm talkin' about.   

8 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

I used Monstaliner WWII Olive Drab.  It's not really a paint, it's a bedliner material.  I rolled it on. Going on 3-years now I think and I'm tickled pink.  No issues.  No fading even with the truck staying outside 100% of the time.  

It had a crappy spraybalm paint job on it when I got it and I hated the thought of applying nice shiny paint because i get this truck out in the woods on occasion.  I'm real happy with it.  

By the way, besides a quick hose down I have never washed it.  Never seen soap and brush.  Yea, that's what I'm talkin' about.   

Oh helllll to the yeah brother! 

I had never thought of that, but now I may consider since mine is outside all the time as well. 

Just now, JStone said:

Oh helllll to the yeah brother! 

I had never thought of that, but now I may consider since mine is outside all the time as well. 

Hey man, go to this conversation I started back when I did my axle upgrade:  

I think Pete M was going to put this thread up in the Write Up section, but I don't believe he ever did.  It's got lots of pics and lessons learned from my experience.  

The MJ Dana 44 is gold, bro.  Bulletproof, made specifically to go in the MJ and RARE.  Bug the heck out of Jesse J until he gives up the 44 before someone else nabs it.  Lucky you; You're even in the same area as him too--Dude, that's a sign from GOD.  

By the way, I have beloved friends that live in Syracuse, UT...right across from Antelope Island.  Flew out to see them a couple of Months ago.  Love the area.

probably going to buy some waggy d44s from derf and I want a matching bolt pattern in the rear so I am getting 2. and no worries I am not trying to get  it off my hands it is just there. I am in sandy Utah

13 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

I am thinking it was like $250.  Guy included spring shackles.  It is an LSD unit...or whatever Jeep called their system that's not coming to me at the moment. 

huh ok thanks!

2 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

He's right, do this. Or another member here will. Like me...

I got everyone crawling over me all of a sudden. and I think it might be fairly safe to say it is mostly spoken for. 

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

I got everyone crawling over me all of a sudden. and I think it might be fairly safe to say it is mostly spoken for. 

As long as you can get all of the U-bolts off. :roflmao:

Sorry, I had to do it

• Pete M changed the title to Future for my rear axle