Aftermarket seats

Pulling the trigger on some nice aftermarket seats soon. I just need something with way more bolster. Trying to figure out how I will mount these in the jeep. I've found some pretty old threads saying how bad the seat companys brackets fit and will definitely have to make my own. Anyone done this and have some tips? I can weld and fab a bit, nothing crazy but enough to where I think I can make some angle iron brackets

Depending on the height and design of the seat mounting points it might be easier to start with a factory MJ seat mount bracket.  If nothing else than a template.  It will really just end up being a test and tweak as you go process to get the height and location for the particular seats where you want them. 

I mounted Hyundai Tiburon seats in my TJ, LJ & an old XJ that I had.   I don't have pics of the XJ brackets I built but they were very much like the ones shown below in my LJ.   I used the original LJ bases and sliders.   In my XJ the XJ sliders worked better.   As mentioned watchamakalit, it was basically "test and tweak".   I bolted them together instead of welding them because I figured I might have to make changes.

btw ... Tiburon seats are a nice way to go.  I'm sure they'd fit in an MJ and they're cheap!  I paid $35 ea. at an auto wrecker.   Here they are in my old XJ. 

Seats 5.jpg

2015-10-21 1.jpg

Yeah the plan was to use the factory brackets and the new seats come with sliders. But the aftermarkets all mount pretty wide on the seat compared to the comanches narrow track down the middle. I don't think I'd be able to fit the newer tracks with the trans tunnel. I'm thinking of going factory brackets and sliders and mounting the seat to that.

1 hour ago, AZJeff said:

I put a set of Corbeau seats in my MJ, and used their brackets as well.  I had only one bolt hole I had to ream to get it to align with the stud in the floor.

I am happy with the fit, and the comfort.

Oh wow that's good to know. I found a thread from a couple years ago saying they didn't fit that well at all. 

3 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I put a set of Corbeau seats in my MJ, and used their brackets as well.  I had only one bolt hole I had to ream to get it to align with the stud in the floor.

I am happy with the fit, and the comfort.

Which corbeau seats did you end up installing?

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Which corbeau seats did you end up installing?

I put in the reclining sport seats, with the optional lumbar support.  I went with cloth, because leather is no real pleasant here in AZ in the summer.

Thet are firm, with decent side support, but not hard to climb into on an MJ with a 3.5” lift.   Wife does not complain (much).