4wd light info

So I’m planning to swap a 242 into my Comanche which is 2wd currently. Has anyone wired the 4wd lights on the dash to work? I assume there is a harness of some sorts, but where it comes from and where it goes to I’m not sure. If anyone has any info on it especially for a manual transmission, that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NP231 and NP242 use different switches, with different connectors to control the 4WD lights.  The transmission harness should include connectors for both models. On NP231 equipped models, the NP242 connector is typically just tucked up and out of the way.

Once you find it, you need to connect a separate 2-wire jumper harness to connect the transmission harness to the NP242's switch.

Since you are currently  2WD, you will likely need to install bulbs behind the "Part Time" and "Full Time" indicator panels in the dash.

Here's a pic of the NP242 jumper harness you need. Wires are red/black and yellow/gray. It would be very easy to make if you can source the right weather pack connectors:

20210226_121901.jpg.3fa55bce046faaa5c0e526b7ed0fb2c3.jpg

20210226_121941.jpg.4ed261bc52c976a0a42fca0d2c35c940.jpg

The only wires going to the transmission area are the two wires for the reverse switch since it’s a manual. Also, the plug on the tcase I got is a 4 pin plug on the top. The tcase came from like a 93ish grand Cherokee. So honestly the best bet may be a complete wiring harness myself from the plug on the trans, but I don’t know where on the body the wires need to connect to get to the dash if that makes sense.

Are you using the 242 shifter indicator on the floor? That's modern stuff right there. 

That's all you need. Believe it or not, back in the olden days our 4 wheelers had 2 sticks for 4wd. Both had the lettering worn off the knobs. There was a crappy dash plaque to illustrate how to move the levers. Somehow we got by. 

Thanks for posting this. I also have a 242 I'll be swapping in, and I want my stuff to look/work like factory, which means the "full time" and "part time" lights working.

You know the shift gate is different for a 242 also, although I've heard a 231 gate works.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, SatiricalHen said:

The only wires going to the transmission area are the two wires for the reverse switch since it’s a manual. Also, the plug on the tcase I got is a 4 pin plug on the top. The tcase came from like a 93ish grand Cherokee. So honestly the best bet may be a complete wiring harness myself from the plug on the trans, but I don’t know where on the body the wires need to connect to get to the dash if that makes sense.

Well, that's an important detail. 

All my previous comments pertained to XJ/MJ platform. You are probably aware there are quite a few different versions of NP242 used across eras and model lines.  A period correct, NP242J for our trucks would have a 2-pin switch (P/N 83503525) on the rear case-half near the mechanical speedo sensor. All previous comments regarding connecting to the XJ/MJ harness apply.

Looks like the ZJ xfer case has a 4-pin switch on the front case-half which means it doesn't pick up the signal from the same place. I can't venture a guess as to how it works (never owned a ZJ), and I haven't personally frankenstein'd a 4-pin switch to a 2-wire harness. 

Also looks like input shaft length on the ZJ case is different too. Just something to watch out for.

Best bet would be to grab the necessary  parts from a XJ/MJ donor vehicle. 

In reply to most of the posts. I don’t need the lights, I know the pattern, but I’d like to make it as OEM as possible. Eventually I’ll be selling it and maybe the next person will need the lights, I don’t know. Definitely doesn’t hurt to have them.