Newbie here... How difficult to learn to work on these?

The only thing that I would say is somewhat difficult to work on with these trucks would be the vacuum system. I've had a lot of problem with eh vacuum system on my 86 Comanche. Another thing to look out for would be the renix system as mentioned earlier. Its the worst system Iv every worked with and if you have problems with the engine doing weird things the I would recommend just replacing the engine management system with a new one.

10 minutes ago, zaconrad said:

Another thing to look out for would be the renix system as mentioned earlier. Its the worst system Iv every worked with and if you have problems with the engine doing weird things the I would recommend just replacing the engine management system with a new one.

Renix? Bad? There are way worse engine management systems that were made than Renix. If anything Renix is probably one of the more simpler systems even though its one of the firsts computer controlled fuel injection system. It really boils down to the live data from the MS-1700 dealer scan tool, REM and a multimeter. Less time consuming than to find a donor and swap every harness and electronics over to say HO. Even more challenging if you have the 2.5L as there is more involved for an HO swap there.

23 minutes ago, zaconrad said:

This is true, but for me i've had nothing but problems with it. Although I might be because I live a mile above sea level.

it's a 3 decade old truck.  :D  a lot depends on how it's been treated over the years.  and even then, time is a hell of a curse to rubber and pals tics. 

Keep in mind that these were made on the cheap side AND had some advanced tech for the time. Makes for a weird combo that can be a pain to work on. For anything rust or body work related you can expect pinch seams, seam sealer, spot welds and somewhat poorly thought out designs when it comes to water retention. There are also many places where water leaks can form and is a constant battle for some. Mechanical issues aren’t normally too bad but can be a pain if your unfamiliar with efi troubleshooting. Many people take a shotgun approach when it comes to repairs and the bills can spiral out of control.
All the above is just to get and keep the truck running and looking good not to say anything regarding modding. Whatever you plan on doing to your MJ plan on it costing at least double what you think it should. :holdwrench:

I've never really had any issues except when the dealer #@^(#&*! up replacing the rear main seal while it was still on warranty.  :mad:  She seized a few miles after leaving the dealership,  The replacement motor never quite had the same power or MPG.  Besides that she never left me stranded.  I beat the heck out of her with no issues.  I even ran chase on the score circuit.