help with rear axel

hey everybody. new to this site and to the MJ. i have a 86' 2.5L 2wd and i need to know what my rear axel is. ive been looking it up and have only 2 answers so for..either the AMC 20 or the dana 35c. which one is it. there is a tag on the left side of the dif cover with 546052942 8953003697 stamped on it. i was told it was a AMC 20, not sure tho...whats ur opinion?

luke

based on what you intend to do with it and how well this MJ has been taken care of. The find out what you want this thing to be. If you have a v6 in it soem say get rid of it or swap a 3.4l firebird/camaro engine. some have swap a 4.0l with some mods to the engine bay area. I have not heard of 3.4l 24v jamminz.gif in one of these things yet but still waiting. options for the rear end d44, cryslr 8.25, ford 8.8 most would say set the 8.8 ford since they can be had very easy. any other questions you have you can ask the team here and they will be sure to help :brows: welcome home

hey luke87, i use to have one, it was a 86, 2.5l 2wd and it had an auto tranny. if yours is an auto then the ratio is 3.55, and yes it is a dana 35 non c-clip. you should see a flange on the outside by the wheels with 4 bolts, that is what holds the axle halves in place, unbolt the flange and the axles will slide out. hope this helps.

Like Pete and Pong and I said, it is a NON "C" Clip D35. To further mention, what pong said, the D35 will have tapered axle tubes at the drums. Where a D35c will not, it will be the same diameter. Also MOST D35s will have the screw in fill plug. (Like yours does) Where the D35c will be a rubber push in jobber. (This is not 100%)

A D35c (What you wrote) is the newer axle with "C" Clips. Although the "C" doesnt stand for "C" clips it stands for CUSTOM. Started in XJ//MJ's about 1990.

A D35 is a non "C" Clip axle. Ended in XJ/MJs about 1990.

Its a slightly preferred axle if you have to have a 35. Arguable slightly stronger.

CW