part number/ bracket suggestions OEM bumper.

I purchased a bumper off a member on this site and it should arrive any day now. My question to you guys is, where can I find a bracket to mount it with? Its a OEM Stock bumper and my driver side bracket has rusted through so I am forced to bunjee the bumper on that side so it doesn't bounce around and what not. Basically looking for either a part number for that or a suggestion for a site that would help with that. I've looked at rockauto.com and autopartswarehouse.com and a few others and they either don't list it or want something close to 50-60 bucks plus shipping for it.

Good luck ifyou think any of the aftermarket places have a bracket for a stock, OEM rear bumper. (We are talking REAR bumper, right?) If they list anything, it'll be the universal bracket for a Fey step bumper.

I went looking for a factory rear bumper bracket maybe two or three years ago. They were no longer in the factory warehouse. My dealer tracked one down at a small dealership somewhere in New hampshire and I bought it over the phone, sight unseen. The parts guy there thought it was used and sold it to me for a used part price, but if it as used I can't see where or how.

Unfortunately, it may have been the last one in captivity. And they are side-specific -- they are mirror image, not universal.

well thanks for the sites guys but that certifit for whatever reason won't work for me and the other so far only has front bumper mounts and not the rear like I hope I had mentioned. Yeah its been extreamly rough trying to find what I need. I guess i'll just have to wait until I get the bumper and figure something out.

I'm no expert but I did learn a thing or two in a rear bumper project. There is a difference in the long and short bed mounts. If you want to put a LB mount on a SB truck you will have to cut a notch for the rear shackle bolt and another notch where part of it can slide into the frame an inch or so. Total mod time is about 5 minutes with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. Another odd thing: On this truck the thread bosses were welded inside the frame but they weren't tapped.

I have a new OEM set. I purchased a new step bumper from Chrysler and didn't need them as the ones on my truck were in excellent shape. These are for a SWB. I was going to put on Ebay, but willing to sell to anyone on this site that wants them. Make me an offer if you like, shipping to Michigan is about $25. Here's a pic..

I'm no expert but I did learn a thing or two in a rear bumper project. There is a difference in the long and short bed mounts. If you want to put a LB mount on a SB truck you will have to cut a notch for the rear shackle bolt and another notch where part of it can slide into the frame an inch or so. Total mod time is about 5 minutes with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. Another odd thing: On this truck the thread bosses were welded inside the frame but they weren't tapped.

That's strange in that the parts manual carries the same part numbers for both the long and short bed rear step bumper mounts. I've changed my bumper and brackets out a couple of times on my LWB and did not have to make any mods on the new brackets.

I have a new OEM set. I purchased a new step bumper from Chrysler and didn't need them as the ones on my truck were in excellent shape. These are for a SWB. I was going to put on Ebay, but willing to sell to anyone on this site that wants them. Make me an offer if you like, shipping to Michigan is about $25. Here's a pic..

How long ago did you order those? I might make a run back to the stealership and order some incase I ever find a rear bumper.

Alex

That's strange in that the parts manual carries the same part numbers for both the long and short bed rear step bumper mounts. I've changed my bumper and brackets out a couple of times on my LWB and did not have to make any mods on the new brackets.

I can X2 on the bracket differences.....

My rear bumper came off Pat's Pong. He built it to fit Pong, which is (was?) a longbed, using the factory brackets. Just like Tracker said, when I tried to mount it, I had to cut off the rear part of the framerail and notch both sides so the brackets would line up. Angle grinder and sawzall, 'bout 20 minutes after I figured out where and what to cut ;)

Jeff

I purchased the step bumper back in September, it came with the bumper, brackets, end caps, skid plates and licence plate lights covers. I'm not sure if the stealership sells the brackets separately, they might, I was lucky to get the bumper, they only found one in Canada.

I purchased the step bumper back in September, it came with the bumper, brackets, end caps, skid plates and licence plate lights covers. I'm not sure if the stealership sells the brackets separately, they might, I was lucky to get the bumper, they only found one in Canada.

eh, thats ok. i need the bumper too. cross my finger, that is the one thing i will fork stealership prices out for.

Alex

Yeah, that's what came with my new chrome bumper from the dealer a few years ago. No cutting of the brackets necessary. The brackets are available separately, p/nos 55009382-3 left and right. One part number for both long and short beds.

Good luck ifyou think any of the aftermarket places have a bracket for a stock, OEM rear bumper. (We are talking REAR bumper, right?) If they list anything, it'll be the universal bracket for a Fey step bumper.

I went looking for a factory rear bumper bracket maybe two or three years ago. They were no longer in the factory warehouse. My dealer tracked one down at a small dealership somewhere in New hampshire and I bought it over the phone, sight unseen. The parts guy there thought it was used and sold it to me for a used part price, but if it as used I can't see where or how.

Unfortunately, it may have been the last one in captivity. And they are side-specific -- they are mirror image, not universal.

wahoo new hampshire!

Those brackets in the photo look like a good factory upgrade. They would work on either bed length as there is a big hump stamped in the part that would go over the shackle bolts if need be. Makes sense. I forgot that I had to egg-out my holes a little too. Looks like the factory ones are already done.

Those brackets in the photo look like a good factory upgrade. They would work on either bed length as there is a big hump stamped in the part that would go over the shackle bolts if need be. Makes sense. I forgot that I had to egg-out my holes a little too. Looks like the factory ones are already done.

Now that you mention it, I just took a peek at mine. No stamped hump, just flat. But my bumper and brackets were listed for an 86-87 MJ, only chrome one I could find. They must have changed/improved the brackets since then.