hemi gladiator?

Pete M

anyone heard anything on this yet?  a friend of ours (used to work for chrysler and so gets the "new car every year" employee lease deal) and said he found out he has to wait a bit longer on his v8 gladiator he ordered.  :dunno:  my pop was talking to him at the time, not me, so I found this out later and didn't get to ask any follow up questions.

2 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

They need to bring simplicity back, which will bring reliability back because there will be fewer things to go wrong. 

that's not going to happen in any modern vehicle.  people want too many things, and the government demands too many things to be able to simplify anything. :( 

finally got a hold of Don for some details and it seems he changed his mind and is getting another Ram this year which explains the v8.  he said next year he'll get a Gladiator. 

no Hemi in the Glad... yet...  :( 

I'm sure it's coming. The JL got the diesel option a year or so before it was offered in the Gladiator. I'm more than willing to bet that 6.2 will be available in 2022 for the JT. And I'm also willing to bet the tow will be lower than the 3.6, just like the diesel option. Takes alot to cool those engines, apparently. 

As Sir Sam said, it'll probably happen if the Wrangler is getting it. 

That kind of info is probably a well guarded secret within the walls of Jeep.  I know a guy from college who used to work in the Mopar performance division as a development engineer (I think he's with GM now) and I would always try to get insider info out of him every time we would chat.  He wouldn't give up anything he knew.  It was in his contract that he couldn't talk about anything he was working on or knew of as a result of working for the company. 

Not that I blame him or the company.  If the car journals get a whiff of that insider info and report it incorrectly it can really screw up the marketing and launch of the product.  I can imagine that if an individual is determined to be the information leaker than that person's job probably gets a little more challenging, if they're allowed to keep the job at all.

15 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

If they are putting it in a wrangler they will be putting it in a gladiator. 

just wait. It’ll be there. I’m wondering if the hellcat will make its way in. 

If you follow the trend every car that has gotten a 392 has eventually gotten a hellcat

I'm actually looking into getting a gladiator rubicon also (mainly because it can do something very important that my comanche cannot... fit my family) and I've been scouring the internet to find anything about it getting the 392. Unfortunately, the closest I've read was that Jeep has not given it the green light and doesn't seem like it's happening anytime soon. The wrangler will be getting it though (470hp and 470ftlb torque) sounds like fun.

2021 models give you the option for their 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel (+$4,000 and another +$2,000 for the transmission) with 3.73 gearing. The price is astronomical though and having trouble justifying it over a full size dodge ram.

Also, worthy mention... 

You LOSE towing capacity with the diesel over the 3.6L Pentastar.

Diesel Max tow is 6,000 lbs

Gas Max tow is 7,000 lbs or I believe close to 7,500lbs with the enhanced tow package.

Any experience with this diesel engine? I know it's in a few other vehicles.

This would be one of those things that I buy once and keep forever.

capacity is always capped by... something.  they don't usually say what.  and anything that adds weight to the truck, subtracts that from the tow capacity.  just the price of that cool diesel sound. :comanche:

As a diesel liberty owner I would strongly consider a diesel Jl or JT. 

Not so much for the economy, but it would be a blast to drive over the gasser. The v8 would be about as fun I bet, but with a thirstyer engine.