how do I register my mj

Jesse J

Does your state have inspections?

If yes, get everything legal first (ahem, turn signals). 

If no, sign the title in your name, then head on down to the DMV, if it’s open, and tell them you want to register it. They should be able to get plates for you on the spot. Also, you need to make sure that you get insurance on it. I’d do full coverage because the price difference probably isn’t super great. 

5 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Does your state have inspections?

If yes, get everything legal first (ahem, turn signals). 

If no, sign the title in your name, then head on down to the DMV, if it’s open, and tell them you want to register it. They should be able to get plates for you on the spot. Also, you need to make sure that you get insurance on it. I’d do full coverage because the price difference probably isn’t super great. 

yes utah you need to get inspected:fistshake2:but I don't need to pass emmissions:banana:do I need to insure to be registered? also I might get some custom pates dunno

yes need insurance to register. you will also need to have title transferred to your name, no title then file for lost title and wait.  inspection list should be available at your local dmv. then fix everything before inspection. do you have a license yet?  

16 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

yes need insurance to register. you will also need to have title transferred to your name, no title then file for lost title and wait.  inspection list should be available at your local dmv. then fix everything before inspection. do you have a license yet?  

no but I want to get it on the road before summer starts to help build the shop. might wait until then to register though I have the title not in my name yet but I will jump on that

I had so many issues getting mine on the road legally. I don't know about Utah but in Florida you have to have it insured with proof of insurance, and a title thats in your name or correctly signed over to you. And then they have to verify the odometer reading and the VIN in person.  

With mine a guy sold it to a guy who sold it to me. The original guy filled out the title wrong, and the second guy never registered it or transferred the title. 

I had to contact the original owner and he was kind enough to fill out a new bill of sale directly to me so that I could get it registered. 

Then they had to verify the VIN and odometer via a mobile notary because she wasn't running at the time so I couldn't drive her up there. I ended up at the DMV 3 times 😒 First time the title was wrong, second time I didn't have the vehicle for verification and the third time I finally got it legal. It was a pain. 

Hopefully yours is less stressful 😄

Just now, Jesse J said:

this is why I dislike the government is because dumb stuff like this. :fistshake1:

And it was all during covid shut downs so it was a pain in the @$$ because they were seeing people by appointment only and they were hard to get. Ended up taking me weeks. 🙄

Just now, MiNi Beast said:

yeah do title asap as will take a bot to process and get mailed to you. so good plan. :L:

ok will do. should I get custom vanity plates thinking 87 jeep or 87 manch or something. 60$ plus a 10$ renewal every year

Just now, MiNi Beast said:

overrated not much cash is drawers all digital soon. best to get it on road and get it lifted and how you want then you name that plate as the final touch. :grinyes:

good idea. decided once I buy fabric start saving for lift and paint

7 hours ago, Jesse J said:

yes utah you need to get inspected:fistshake2:but I don't need to pass emmissions:banana:do I need to insure to be registered? also I might get some custom pates dunno

In Iowa I've never had the DMV ask for any proof of insurance for anything, I'm guessing it would be the same for you.  I believe all 50 states require insurance by law so if you drive it make sure it's at least got liability.  Make sure to at least meet your states minimum coverage as well.  As stated, just take the title to the DMV and ask for registration.  If it's not printed in your name yet, make sure it's filled out correctly but they should be able to help you with any questions.

Just now, Dzimm said:

In Iowa I've never had the DMV ask for any proof of insurance for anything, I'm guessing it would be the same for you.  I believe all 50 states require insurance by law so if you drive it make sure it's at least got liability.  Make sure to at least meet your states minimum coverage as well.  As stated, just take the title to the DMV and ask for registration.  If it's not printed in your name yet, make sure it's filled out correctly but they should be able to help you with any questions.

ok will do thanks for the help

Typically if they figure out you are under 18 they will refuse to assign a title in your name. You will need ID to transfer title, like a state issued ID card, drivers license, or passport. 

most states will issue title without insurance or inspection, but not road registration. 

some states don’t require proof of insurance to register, but most do. 

yes you register it to put it on the road to operate. you transfer title to show ownership. you can own a truck and let it sit in your garage but you have to register it to drive it on the road and this means also you need insurance to protect others on the road cause your driving it. :P