Cody's Comanche

After posting in the registry, I was recommended to start a build thread.

I suppose I'll start with the basics:

1986 Jeep Comanche X

2.8L V6, 5 speed manual, 4X4, long bed

Grey/Black two tone exterior with a black interior

Bench seat, floor shift, manual windows and locks

Missing both carpet and headliner, surprisingly intact windshield, and minimal rust.

I bought the truck in Fort Collins, CO for $2300 because it wouldn't pass smog.

(Luckily Wyoming doesn't care about air pollution :grinyes:

Other than being overdue for preventative maintenance and not being the prettiest debutante at the ball, it's in great shape and drives pretty great for being 35 years old.

As of right now, my plan is to get the basics taken care of

oil change

brake flush

spark plugs

checking drums

fixing the parking brake

replacing bulbs

getting a dash cover (minor cracking)

installing new carpet and headliner

I also need to find a spare wheel as there isn't a spare on the truck currently.

Once I get through those, then I can start looking into the fun stuff.

I welcome any suggestions or resources for information regarding these trucks as my searching has found next to nothing.

The build sheet eaglescout526 gave me was more informative than the vehicle or google.

I also haven't been able to come up with a good name yet. I'm sure ill find something that feels right, but I'm open to suggestions in that department also.

EDIT: I'll update the title with the name I end up choosing.

.KIMG1391.JPG.d8a4d55dd61870e7058ca06d6c2a11ba.JPGKIMG1392.JPG.e1019a8ff43d9dbba6930986bd619055.JPGKIMG1393.JPG.2b6dcaba389b5bf1e1176d8032a9497f.JPGKIMG1389.JPG.8174bfdd9669d0db2de162dbfc5fc493.JPGKIMG1390.JPG.c27ce5aa5b97dfaac31740967589bb05.JPG

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

the two-tone trucks are rare as all get out.  so glad to see she was adopted by someone who will take care of her :D 

I wasn't even sure if it was the stock paint job. I'm definitely gonna try to either preserve the original paint or get it repainted with stock paints.

• 3 months later...

Went to the local mechanic and had some of the items on my list taken care of.

oil change ✔

brake flush ✔

spark plugs

checking drums ✔

fixing the parking brake

replacing bulbs

getting a dash cover (minor cracking)

installing new carpet and headliner

The engine apparently leaks like a sieve (of course) but it doesn't leak onto the ground.

My pads and drums have about 30% life left, so I figure I can get some miles out of them before I have to replace the pads, rotors, and drums.

The parking brake definitely needs a new cable, and it has something wrong with the internals gripping the cable.

Thankfully the 4x4 engages and works just fine.

Aside from that list, the only things I need to bring the truck back to fully stock are the wheels, dash clock, and radio.

Luckily, my dad has an 85 XJ that he bought for $100 as a beater, and it has both the wheels and the clock 👍

I've tried getting in touch with Jeremys radio emporium, but I haven't heard back, and I know he's pretty backed up on orders.

The XJ also has a radio, but I'm not even sure if the radio would actually fit in the MJ, and id at least like to talk to Minuit about it.

Still no ideas on a name. I'm terrible at this 🤣

25 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

If it’s a factory AMC radio, it will fit in your 86 but chances are, the plugs will not be the same. 

The radio that's in mine now is aftermarket, so I'm not sure what to expect when it comes to plugs and wiring.

The XJ has the factory radio, but it's climate control and radio area look different.

(I may be a filthy millennial, but id like at least a cassette player if I can't get an aux input😜)

Your "new" truck looks great. Hope you have as much fun getting yours up to your specs as I did mine. 

Look forward to following your posts.

I like the name of your thread, don't change that.   :applause:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

talk to Jeremy.  I'm rockin' one of his refurbs with the added AUX input. :D  then I slapped a bluetooth dongle into the AUX for uber modernity :banana:  (and yes, that's a 92 XJ radio in an 06 KJ)

just don't buy a radio made in Korea.  the ones made in Japan are superior.

20190208_205417.jpg

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

talk to Jeremy.  I'm rockin' one of his refurbs with the added AUX input. :D  then I slapped a bluetooth dongle into the AUX for uber modernity :banana:  (and yes, that's a 92 XJ radio in an 06 KJ)

just don't buy a radio made in Korea.  the ones made in Japan are superior.

20190208_205417.jpg

I've started talking to him, and I'm hoping that I can either get one from him or see if he can refurb/modify the one in the XJ.

I know he's really backed up so I'm not trying to be impatient lol

KIMG1433.JPG

11 hours ago, olddude said:

Welcome! Looks like you have a nice truck there, something to keep you busy.:laugh: I really like Cheyenne, spent a couple of days there several years ago. Bought a nice pair of boots at a store next to the old train station.

Thanks. I love Wyoming, and I hope I can grow old and die here :laugh2:

The Wrangler is a pretty great store, and there's so much history here.

The truck might be slow going, but it'll definitely be worth it.

Ill be documenting the whole way :L:

12 hours ago, Ollie said:

Your "new" truck looks great. Hope you have as much fun getting yours up to your specs as I did mine. 

Look forward to following your posts.

I like the name of your thread, don't change that.   :applause:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun despite all the cursing :laugh2:

12 hours ago, Cody_Hamill said:

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun despite all the cursing :laugh2:

That's all part of the game.......:popcorn:  I spent a couple of days in Cheyenne a few years ago. Water pump went out on a Rambler I was driving. Got a pump overnighted, changed it in a hotel parking lot; one of the girls that worked there husband came over with is truck full of tools. Nice friendly people, kinda like Mississippi folks. 

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

For our anniversary, my wife and I decided to take a trip over to Laramie for breakfast and antiquing.

Then we went to The Bunkhouse for lunch/dinner. Even got some live music as the Bunkhouse Band was jamming.

I recommend that restaurant to anyone going through Cheyenne.

We decided to take the truck, and I decided to get some pictures while we were out.

I love that we get to drive through such beautiful country, but these hills love to remind me how gutless the 2.8 is. :laugh2:

17735.jpeg

17739.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

I know your  Comanche enjoyed his outing carrying you and mom around the country side.   :driving:

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

I sure hope so.

He was like the little truck that could  :laugh2:

:comanche: "I think I can! I think I can!"

The mechanic said the engine leaked, but luckily the engine was still full after the ~140 mile trip.

Still needs a lot of work to get up to looking good and being a confident driver, but I was pretty pleased with the condition.

Could've been a heck of a lot worse given some of the states of other projects I've seen.

One of the big wish list items on our house hunt is a garage :crossfingers:

Cody,

My house is 1200 sq. ft.

Shop 3,500 sq. ft. under roof........

You can see where my priorities are............:beerchug:

Wife says the house is bigger than she needs to keep clean, she likes hanging out in the shop. 

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

8 hours ago, Ollie said:

Cody,

My house is 1200 sq. ft.

Shop 3,500 sq. ft. under roof........

You can see where my priorities are............:beerchug:

Wife says the house is bigger than she needs to keep clean, she likes hanging out in the shop. 

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

Oh what I wouldn't give for a setup like that :applause:

Considering we are in ~300 sq. ft. now, my wife just wants something normal sized.

She's less concerned with cleaning because that's my job, and she just wants a garage so she doesn't have to clear snow off in the morning :P

With the way the Californians and Coloradans are driving up the market, we'll pretty much have to take what we can get.

Practical now. Ideal later. :beerchug: