i need help with decisions

i am about to purchase a jeep comanche and i am going to get the 6.5" lift but what size tires would look and work the best on it and should i go to the dana 44 or the ford 8.8 what are some other things i could do to it because i want a lean mean off roading machine?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off welcome to the club :cheers:

Here is a link that is going on about the 8.8 and the D44

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6664

As far as tires go what do you wheel in.

33's fit with no triming. I wheel in mud trees and very little rocks so my ideal tire is a skinny TSL 34x9.5's and yes skinny tires rock.

well stock you're gonna have (based on your engine/transmission combo)

we'll assume stick shift 4.0L you have 3.07 gears... which is fine (arguably) for stock tires... but when you get huge tires on it, you'll be chillin in 4th gear at 60 miles an hour. and taking off from a stop will suck

so with a 33-35" tire usually the gear choice is somewhere 4.10-4.88 depending on how you want them

Got 4.88s and 35s and i want mid 5s But i want mine to crawl. I don't do mud unless I'm bored but i do ride trails here and there but they are steep and ruff and sometimes not really a trail on Private land. I would say to go with 4.88s for full use of you truck street and all. I have had mine to 65 and cruised with a 4 banger and AX-5. I had 4.10s and they sucked IMO but again I have a 4 banger. If you are going to do gears i would make sure you do it right the first time. Take in to account how much street time it will see and what the top speed you will drive the MJ at. Gears arent cheap and installation isnt either. I think Eagle has figured the calculations for stock power with 35s and i think 4.88s were a little bit better then stock If it wasnt Eagle maybe Dirty was the one. I'm sure they will chime in to help you out.

Cole

IF you did a 6.5 lift with 35s and 4.56 gears and lockers. You would have one bad a** jeep. Another good thing to think about would be the teralow4:1 kit. and don't forget your sye kit and id recomend the rustys offroad or rough country longarm kit. If you want the best of the best for your truck. Also if you get an old mj id recomend upgrading to a ax15 transmission. It would be a worthy investment.

well I'm def getting the 6 cylinder with the 5 speed

well then you'll probably want 4.10-4.56 for 33's

and 4.56-4.88 for 35s... depends on whether you drive alot of interstate or not, but really with a stick shift most people say go as deep as possible (4.88)

and if its 88 or lower you will have the BA10 transmission (weak) and 89 is the mid-year swap so you might have it and 90+ is the AX15 (tough)

ford 8.8 vs d44... i don't debate, theyre both tough axles, get whichever you can find easiest/cheapest/closest.

IF you did a 6.5 lift with 35s and 4.56 gears and lockers. You would have one bad a** jeep. Another good thing to think about would be the teralow4:1 kit. and don't forget your sye kit and id recomend the rustys offroad or rough country longarm kit. If you want the best of the best for your truck. Also if you get an old mj id recomend upgrading to a ax15 transmission. It would be a worthy investment.

ok haha whats a teralow kit 4:1 and sye kit?

Tera-low kit:

low-range 4wheel drive uses an extra gear to reduce your trans/axle gears by an additional 2.72 (varies for other vehicles) and makes your truck have the power to do w/e the hell you need to do.

the Tera-low kit is a different gear/chain that changes that 2.72-4.0 without changing the normal drive ratio... so you get even MORE power and crawl ratio

SYE: your driveshaft (rear only) has a slip joint at the t-case, so the shaft rides on splines that come out of the t-case which is fine, but when you lift/flex alot the DS can move out enough to slip off the t-case splines and get totally fubar-d. the SYE changes it to match the front shaft, the d-s will need a slip joint in the middle of it and the output of the t-case becomes fixed so that the shaft does all the slipping by itself and you don't have to worry about hella flex and losing your shaft.

some SYE's (commonly referred to as heavy-duty or HD SYE's) will increase the spline count of your output shaft (common t-case failure point) and the overall diameter of this shaft which = more strength.

SYE's and low-range kits will require tearing down/partially rebuilding the t-case

hope that helps :cheers: :cheers:

-nick

id recomend the rustys offroad or rough country longarm kit.

With Rusty's kit you'll have nothing but problems with it.

And Rough Country does not make a longarm kit...

Rock Krawler makes the long arm kits and Rock Krawler uses Rough Country components here's the link to the rock krawler 6.5 long arm kit and if you call down to rough country and tell them what you got and what you want to do they will mix and match the parts and get you hooked up... Talk to adam he is a comanche guy. http://roughcountry.com/rock_krawler_xj-6xl.html

And i have seen the rustys long arm system in action and it seems pretty nice i don't know about the rest of there products but there long arm kit is pretty nice

WOW umn.gif I can't believe anyone living would recommend Rusty's Long arm kit :nuts: or anything from Rusty's especially customer service. Rough Country is a lil better in the service department.. but I can tel you their XJ kit rides rough :brows: If you are going to pay the price for a terralow kit and SYE might as well go buy an Atlass 2.. it is only a few hundred more

A Atlas 2 is a really strong transfer case with all the good stuff. Pong is dead on though. If you arent going to be doing anything above mild wheeling i wouldnt worry with longarm casue your talking major $$$$ Just get a nice 5.5 or 6" Lift for the front but not from rustys and rough country is as it says a Ruff ride. As far as Terra low kit and the SYE its not needed period. They SYE issue can be solved with a Driveshaft the correct length. And a terra low is just a nice to have not a NEED. If you want a better crawl ratio in 4 low then yeah its nice but if you run 4.88 gears or even 4.56 depending on tire size with 35s the biggest you would be happy with 4X4 preformance I'm sure unless you do steep rocky trails where 1/4 MPH speed would help you make it thru then its something to look at. I know you said the usaul as far as wheeling but PONGs normal wheeling and your may be WAY way way different cause from what i have seen in the past year or so on here he don't take it easy. Would you consider what you do Moderate to easy as in 4X4 is not always required but is just a helping function??? If so the Standard short arm lift and extened D-shaft should be what you will need along with the gears you choose for you tire size. Good luck on your choince and i hope all That ^ helps some atleast.

Cole