Ford 8.8 VS Dana 44?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this has been beat to death and you will find some say 8.8 is stronger than the 44 but then it has c-clip but you can get stock 4.10 gear and disk brakes.

Then you get the ones that say the 44 you have to add the disc brake and the gearing and plus the price of these are kinda high if you ask me.

This is just my thoughts. I mean you can get an 8.8 out of any Explore and be ahead of the D35 just stay away from the ranger it will have 27 splin and the Explore has 31 spline.

I am running a welded 8.8 with disc and I like it.

To me there are a few advantages to the 8.8. One is the strength of the overall package, and the fact that they are everywhere. Also the fac t that they can be had with LSD and 4.10 form the factory. Plus they have discs. The down side is it is a c-clip axle... this can be fixed though... or left as it is. Also the width is an issue.. can be fixed by using spacers. The pumpkin needs to be welded to the tubes as well. The diff cover is thin and weak as well.

The d44 is a great axle with awesome aftermarket support. The down sides are.. the price..lack of factory disc brakes.

All this being said.. I ran an 8.8 in Pong on 35's and truly abused this axle.. axle is still in use under a Yj on 37's. I am geting ready to put a D44 in the Turd.. SO I will let you know how that turns out shortly :brows:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

This site should give you an idea of what's required. Welding will be necessary.

Not just a plug 'n' play thang humm.. The only thing I'm worried about is the offset at the pumkin. Is it the same offset on the mj something like 2 3/16', and the shorter width. So if i run stock wheels I'll need 5/8" spacers?

I've yet to read of anyone that had a problem from the pumpkin offset. And you may not need spacers depending on your rim and tire combo.

But for what it's worth, back when I was contemplating using an 8.8 under my 90 the plan was to buy a single 1.5" or 2" wheel spacer (a full spacer, not just a plate with holes in it) and run it on the passenger side, thus simultaneously moving the pinion closer to center and widening the axle. Then I'd burn the perches on in the appropriate places (although technically I don't own a strong enough welder so I would have bolted everything up nice and snug an then slowly driven down the street to a local shop). Would I have needed to do either of those things? Nope. I just thought it was a clever idea and wanted to see if it would work. But I backed out in favor of just running the Dana 44 I already had in the garage and sticking with the 3.55 gears (I've only got 31s on that truck).

But for what it's worth, back when I was contemplating using an 8.8 under my 90 the plan was to buy a single 1.5" or 2" wheel spacer and run it on the passenger side, thus simultaneously moving the pinion closer to center and widening the axle.

I'm too into symetry to be able to let myself do that.

i am running the 8.8 welded in my trail rig with 1.5 spacer and 34x9.5's the off set of the pumkin is not that much of an issue. The only issue is that these thing is heavy compard to the d35. So leave wheels on it so you can roll it around. That and these 8.8 are cheap you can get gears up to 4.56 maybe lower (is that right or maybe higher :nuts:any way) I vote for the 8.8 unless you can fall in to a deal on a 44

The D35 is great rear end to keep (i guess :nuts:) if you aren't hard on it and if you are o well there is a ton of them out there and most people will almost give them away. Weld it up and go have some fun those 44 are out there good luck with your search

jamminz.gif

The D35 is great rear end to keep (i guess :nuts:) if you aren't hard on it and if you are o well there is a ton of them out there and most people will almost give them away. Weld it up and go have some fun those 44 are out there good luck with your search

jamminz.gif

How about swapping the isuzu 44's axles for some with a 5 on 4 1/2 ?? Think it'd work out?

no i don't think that the izuzu axle can accept shafts w/ a 5x4.5 pattern...never heard of it done b4...the 8.8 is a good swap when having a welder...an MJ 44 is the best BOLT-IN application out there...an XJ 44 would require welding...and izuzu 44 is a tad narrower and also require welding along w/ the wrong bolt pattern and weird gear ratio's

You could have shafts made for the isuzu D44 with 5x4.5 pattern, AFAIK. Since it should just take a standard D44 blank. That would cost money however, as custom axle shafts aren't really cheap.

The isuzu axles also come in different widths depending on the year, and different gear ratios. 4.30 is common, but you can find 4.56 or 4.10 axles.

You could have shafts made for the isuzu D44 with 5x4.5 pattern, AFAIK. Since it should just take a standard D44 blank. That would cost money however, as custom axle shafts aren't really cheap.

The isuzu axles also come in different widths depending on the year, and different gear ratios. 4.30 is common, but you can find 4.56 or 4.10 axles.

I was just think'n it would be nice to have rear discs :evil:

I was just think'n it would be nice to have rear discs :evil:

Having rear disk are nice. But there not necessary i wouldnt go out of my way just to get them. I run a dana 44 its stronger that the 8.8 and you can find one that will bolt right into your MJ.