4wd parts off of YJ

I'm doing a 4x4 swap to my 2wd MJ and I think I found a good donor jeep. Its a 91 YJ, it has a manual, which should be an ax-15 as that's the only manual the 4.0 from that year came with(according to wikipedia). Are there any big no noes about taking a dana 30 off a YJ that I should know about, or any of the parts I'm getting? I was planning on getting the Trans, TC, and front axle, I assume the driveshafts won't fit so I'm just gonna leave those. 

eef6c68dc120075a4f7efab39df4f6db.jpg

74a95a720cf7ac81d95b47d53df90bc8.png

4c6811294d071ccc54f5bb94c2e58365.png

the clocking can be overcome (and can be beneficial from the addition ground clearance), but yeah the front axle is a loooooot of effort.

also, I see that the Jeep hit the yard on march 6th?  are the parts still there?

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

the clocking can be overcome (and can be beneficial from the addition ground clearance), but yeah the front axle is a loooooot of effort.

also, I see that the Jeep hit the yard on march 6th?  are the parts still there?

Yeah I noticed the March date, gonna call soon about the trans and tc, not sure if that's something they can tell me or if I have to go look myself. 

I believe that the YJ axle is a low pinion in addition to being a leaf spring setup.  Not worth it at all.

XJ donors are mostly high pinion and have all of the brackets you want to bolt them right up.  Avoid 2000, and 2001 (low pinion) and earlier XJ with the CAD (axle disconnect, easy to see the big chunk of cast steel on the passenger side).

Ok so my mind is off the axle now, I'm just focused on the trans and tc. One of the main reasons is because I don't have a hard time finding 231's but it's hard to find one that I know for sure was with an ax-15 or trans that shares the same input shaft. I've been waiting to find one like this, where it's an ax-15 still mated with the 231, that way I can be sure it's the right input shaft, and it's overall less work if I don't have to bolt the trans and tc together. I have a ba10 that's why I'm after an ax15. I'll just wait for an XJ axle, I hear the 4 cylinder's come with 4.10 gears.:brows:

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

When you say the clocking can be overcome, what exactly is your definition of overcome? Am I gonna be hammering or cutting out the floor?:beerbang:

cutting, no (although some guys did that for reasons I don't fully understand).  hammering, maybe.  and if you do, it's not much.  I put a TJ AX-15 into my 88 and only needed to nip of a small aluminum tab that was sticking out of the corner of the t-case.  be aware that the stickshift is different too, but I'm running the TJ unit so that isn't a deal killer either. also the t-case lever action is different.  I used MJ stuff and fabbed a pivot point out of a flat bar of steel.  aftermarket shifters exist that don't need any of that. 

you can see the little tabs on the t-case in this shot.  TJ on top. 

108235559.jpg

just a simple flat bar bolted to the trans

108235537.jpg

58 minutes ago, Pete M said:

cutting, no (although some guys did that for reasons I don't fully understand).  hammering, maybe.  and if you do, it's not much.  I put a TJ AX-15 into my 88 and only needed to nip of a small aluminum tab that was sticking out of the corner of the t-case.  be aware that the stickshift is different too, but I'm running the TJ unit so that isn't a deal killer either. also the t-case lever action is different.  I used MJ stuff and fabbed a pivot point out of a flat bar of steel.  aftermarket shifters exist that don't need any of that. 

you can see the little tabs on the t-case in this shot.  TJ on top. 

108235559.jpg

just a simple flat bar bolted to the trans

108235537.jpg

Ok I don't mid a little bit of hammering if it comes to that. And I knew about the shift levers but didn't think that would really be an issue. I was just gonna grab a tc shift lever from an XJ and either leave the YJ shift stick on the trans, find some XJ/MJ stick and swap it (assuming that's possible, or just get an aftermarket one. All I really care about is the actual shaft's dimensions, I'm gonna do something custom with the handle, not sure what though. My brother put a 125 and 250 two stroke piston on his toyota pick up's shifters.

2 hours ago, rylee144 said:

Be patient and wait for the right xj. Check auction yards and marketplace. Get the 4x4 and axles from the same rig. 

I would like too but I'm not having any luck. But why do you say that? I'm asking because I don't see why that would be an issue using an axle from a different car than the tran/tc.

36 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

I waited a year or so. Just convenient is all. Can source from all over just might be more money.  I have a wrangler  ax15 to put in mine

Ah ok Gotcha, I'm just gonna try to get the trans and tc from this YJ if it has it. I'll just wait for a 95+ XJ for the axle, maybe a 4 cylinder if I'm lucky so I don't need to get 4.10 gears.

Just now, Warren99 said:

Ah ok Gotcha, I'm just gonna try to get the trans and tc from this YJ if it has it. I'll just wait for a 95+ XJ for the axle, maybe a 4 cylinder if I'm lucky so I don't need to get 4.10 gears.

have you tried car-part.com yet?

So update, thing was stripped, but by some luck they were both there.:applause: My brother helped me out, we got the trans and tc, the flywheel, and I also grabbed a hood cowel since mines busted open, but was rushing with 5 min left til closing. Unfortunately the tail cone tip was busted on the end of the tc and the yoke wasn't there. I forgot to get a pic but I'll take one if someone wants to see ig. Going back tomorrow probably to get the clutch, forgot it in the hurry lolimage0.jpgimage0.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

score! :L:

but the flywheel is worthless to you. 

It is? My dad kept saying I would probably need to get the flywheel and clutch, but obviously y'all know more so please expand.