350 swap?

I see some of you were talking about using the 3.4 to swap out the 2.8, why not a small block 350. i have an 86 with a 2.8 and would really like a 350 in it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

what Dirty said.

here's just the main reason for the 3.4 swap.

get ready for it...

oh the suspense...

it's easy. it bolts up to the tranny, so you don't need custom mounts and custom driveshafts, you can use stock manifolds and motor mounts. other than a bit of wiring, it's basically drop-in.

the 350 is a GREAT idea that I support whole-heartedly.

but I've done a custom swap on one of these. had to have custom mounts, swap 4.0 radiator support and rad. in (didn't want to do that which is why I didn't drop a 4.0 in... :roll: ), custom exhaust, and I think that's alot of work for the average joe and I didn't even have to swap to trannies or drivetrain things.

IDK, I have all the tools, and definitely the space, and just am hesitant to do it because swapping custom drivetrain in isn't exactly fun.

However, novak does make the motor mounts, and block-hugger or the early vette (cast) headers can be made to clear quite easily. Although, it might actually be easier than that (I think there's enough room to run more conventional headers, just I'm not sure that anybody has tried it). The cooling system will need a major re-vamp, and you'll probably need a custom radiator or you'll have to BS around with the 4.0L one (multi-core aluminum one). And there's not huge gaurentees on these things.

For a tranny you could use a th-350, th-400, 700R4, sm420/465 (clunker 4-speeds) or a couple other better manual trannies (I don't know much about sticks for chevies). All depending on your goals for the truck. Most tcases can be bolted up to these if you're 4wd, but the NP231J would need an adapter or some parts changed.

Hopefully somebody on here who has done one, or an AMC 360, or something like that will chime in.

Hopefully somebody on here who has done one, or an AMC 360, or something like that will chime in.

its kind of ironic that the only jeep v8s (AMC v8s) are the hardest ones to get to work in a jeep... i don't think i have EVER seen a completed AMC360 swapped in one, only that gray manche with the built 401 but he's not on the forums just youtube.

JJacobs or whatever his name is/was on NAXJA had a MJ with a 401 in it, IIRC. I don't know how that all worked out.

There was somebody on here doing a 360... I forget! He'd almost had it buttoned up, but it didn't clear the hood and I think he had cash flow issues.

I've actually seen suprisingly few examples of V8s in the MJ/XJ platform. Which is unfortunate.

I am kinda in the middle of doing mine. My problem is cash flow related, and the fact that the wife has put a cap on how much I can spend on Pong a year.

Advance Adapters makes a nice set of mounts to swap one in. Only problem for me is it moves the engine over to the passenger side. I am runing a passenger side axle so... here in lies the pronblem as well as the fact that The combo I am running all ready has clearance issues with the driveshaft. The np203/d300/t350 combo is tight around the tranny pan and driveshaft

If I didn't have a million and one other things to do, the 304 from my rolled '73 J4000 would be under the hood of the '86 I have. Already sold the truck so I have to get the 4 banger back into it and have it running by Nov 15th.

Here is my arguement to the 'Chevy is god' people in my local club relating to a member wanting to swap a tree-fiddy into his wrangler. You are going to be facing the same types of obsticles.

He has: Running/Drivable 2.5l manual Wrangler that he has been off-roading and wants to continue with.

He wants: Running driving Wrangler with a V-8 and an auto, that he can off-road

Why the Chevy swap has bad economics in this instance:

Engine<- purchase and rebuild

Transmission and related linkages/cables<- purchase

Mounts for engine and transmission <- purchase/fabrication

Engine Control system <- whatever you choose (carb or FI)

Cooling system(that dinky 2.5l/manual radiator isn't going to get it done)

Fuel delivery/storage (that hungry V-8 is going to eat ALOT of gas compared to that 2.5l) also the fuel pump will need to be changed(not enough flow, if you choose fuel injection or need the right set-up for a carbed set-up) what about a gas gauge?

Transfer case<- that NP231 isn't going to be happy with that V-8(needs an adpater at minimum.

Driveshafts front and rear<- different driveline = different length

Rear axle <- V-8 + bigger tires + Dana 35= lots of experience working on rear axle pieces.

(I'm missing something here and I can't put my finger on it right now)

One thing I was missing was the discussion of emissions requirements in different states. In Illinois testing is only done in the King Blagovich's castle. It is coming to Winnebago county and two counties in the St. Looney area. One way people escape it is to register their vehicles outside of the testing area. But techncially that is also against the law.

Some areas would forbid the tree-fiddy swap on the base that you will NEVER get the emission levels below those of a good running 4-cyl or 6 cyl. Some areas rules also would forbid the swap, as you would fail the 'visual' portion of the inspection as the Chevy tree-fiddy never appeared in a Jeep vehicle out of the factory. (sorry, nitpickers. The Wagoneer used a BOP 350, not the same motor.)

He has: Running/Drivable 2.5l manual Wrangler that he has been off-roading and wants to continue with.

He wants: Running driving Wrangler with a V-8 and an auto, that he can off-road

Why the Chevy swap has bad economics in this instance:

Engine<- purchase and rebuild

Transmission and related linkages/cables<- purchase

Mounts for engine and transmission <- purchase/fabrication

Engine Control system <- whatever you choose (carb or FI)

Cooling system(that dinky 2.5l/manual radiator isn't going to get it done)

Fuel delivery/storage (that hungry V-8 is going to eat ALOT of gas compared to that 2.5l) also the fuel pump will need to be changed(not enough flow, if you choose fuel injection or need the right set-up for a carbed set-up) what about a gas gauge?

Transfer case<- that NP231 isn't going to be happy with that V-8

Driveshafts front and rear<- different driveline = different length

Rear axle <- V-8 + bigger tires + Dana 35= lots of experience working on rear axle pieces.

There's a lot of litting things to add to that.

However, a NP231J will work behind V8 power mostly without issues. A HD SYE is a must, and the front output is susceptable to failure, but it's not a huge deal for the typical wheeler.

Exhaust has to be adressed too. Along with things like the ACC drive (Which may or may not come with the engine, and may not fit). The distributor on the older (HEI) engines will massively not clear the firewall.

Oh, you can put an AW4 behind a SBC too. It'd be okay.

It can either be really cheap or really expensive depending how you do it, and what parts you buy and for how much.

If I wasnt given my 350 motor, and tranny I would have gone about it a different way. I would have found an early 90's 1/2 ton truck that was 4wd and wrecked. That way you get the wiring harness, trans, you would need to purchase a adapter for the t-case.. but normally not a big deal.

well JeepcoMJ, i think you sold me on the 3.4 swap over the 350 so if you have any tips or some good info for me, that would be outstanding, maybe some pics too.

check the link I put in there...

I haven't put a 3.4 into any of my jeeps, just researched it very carefully. then a buick 3800 fell in my lap...and it has the same bellhousing too, but was alot more work.

I know there's a few guys with 3.4 swaps on here, or there were.

and I will look for info on wiring...I already have 90% of the wiring diagrams saved on the computer.

My dad and I spoke directly with the advance adapter's people when they were in town. If you are planning on swapping a SBC 350 or larger then you better plan on swapping the tranny as well. The torque of a mildly built 350 will definitely destroy the AX-15 in a short time. We discussed using a stock 305 sbc, their opinion was that the ax-15 could hang if you did not abuse it.

All in all I have to thank them for their up front honesty most companies just want to sell you some parts but instead they basically interviewed us about driving style and use and deemed we would be better off waiting until we were ready to commit to an entire driveline change.

Duner,

That has been my experience with AA as well. The more info you give them.. the better they are able to help you. They were the ones who told me about their V-8 XJ kit moves the engine over to the passenger side, and they confirmed what I was told about the d300 and turbo 350 having clearance issues