Must have MJ upgrades for a cross country drive?

That's the whole shebang for the spare tire holder.  Mine works fine.  If you don't have the handle that operates the cable through the tube (it also operates the jack) you need to find something to take it's place.  You might want to make sure the jack operates smoothly.  I cleaned and lubed mine and used a drill to drive it up and down a few times. 

Does your electric fan come on when the engine gets overheated?  How are you going about switching to an open cooling system?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, rokinn said:

That's the whole shebang for the spare tire holder.  Mine works fine.  If you don't have the handle that operates the cable through the tube (it also operates the jack) you need to find something to take it's place.  You might want to make sure the jack operates smoothly.  I cleaned and lubed mine and used a drill to drive it up and down a few times. 

Does your electric fan come on when the engine gets overheated?  How are you going about switching to an open cooling system?

Good to know!

I'm not sure if the electric fan comes on. I was also going to get that fan replaced.

For the open cooling system, I'm about to take it to my mechanic and ask them to do it. They'll know what to do, right? Or will they look at me weird haha. I don't know that I could explain in detail what I want done but CoastChief did send me documentation from Cherokee America on a Pre '92 Radiator Conversion.

61933356603__4361C686-C3C6-4994-9D37-0280115D3F68.jpeg.113c26ff236b7da6f74e95ef128a3c9e.jpeg

No guarantees the shop will know how to do it.  Best to know the options yourself before hand and then ask them what they will do or what you want them to do. 

Turn on the air conditioner and look in the engine bay.  The fan should come on.  If it doesn't then something is wrong.  You can run wires from the battery to the plug in for the fan on the drivers side to see if the fan runs.  Just unplug the wiring and run wires from the battery to that plug.  One from the neg post and one from the pos post.  Black should be the ground wire.  That will run your fan.  If you don't want to do it let your shop do it.  It could also be a bad relay in the circuit.  The one for the fan is on the drivers side on the fender panel.

The Macsradiator link I sent you can convert it to an open system.  You just need to supply an overflow bottle to the system.  If you go that route check back for options on bottles.

I think your system isn't purged properly.  If they didn't put a dealer thermostat in they should have drilled a hole in it to allow air to pass through.  Find someone who knows what they are doing on how to purge the air.  You don't need to go putting another radiator in it.  Closed systems work fine when set up properly.  BTW I put a 2 row radiator in mine.  Some of the 3 row radiators had issues with durability as my first radiator replacement did.

The Macs bottle is just about the same price as another radiator but the labor is rather less.  If you go with another new open radiator you can use the current pressure bottle as the overflow bottle.  Search my posts on how to do it. 

1 hour ago, rokinn said:

Closed systems work fine when set up properly. 

I just dropped off the truck at the shop, they said the above too. This is a different shop than I was working with before, they are AAA certified and specialize in cooling systems so I trust their judgement on this. They said better to diagnose the problem in the original system and fix it than to change the set up, though they understand why the conversion is a thing. 

I also asked them to replace the electric fan so I'm sure they'll check that the wiring is good and it's functioning properly. Thanks for the tips!

Sooner or later you're going to regret sticking with the closed system. Whether that's when the new plastic pressure bottle you paid for won't seal (or splits open and sprays coolant out), or when it's time to pony up for the $130 aluminum pressure bottle from Mac's, or when you need to bleed air out of the hose spaghetti (or a radiator that's all the way across the engine bay from the fill point) after performing routine maintenance, or when you need to gain access to the blower motor but the damn radiator tank is in the way, you'll regret it at some point.

I think the only time someone's regretted an open system conversion on this forum is when they messed up, or got a defective part. It's really not much of an undertaking, and I'm not too sure why your new shop seems to think it is.

My preferred jack is a cheap 2-ton hydraulic floor jack. :D   I also carry a quality 4-way for the lugnuts.

a very long flat head screwdriver can be used as a tire winch in a pinch, but the junkyards will have handles and lug wrenches you can use.  some 'yards even have a selection of the things near the checkout. 

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

Sooner or later you're going to regret sticking with the closed system. Whether that's when the new plastic pressure bottle you paid for won't seal (or splits open and sprays coolant out), or when it's time to pony up for the $130 aluminum pressure bottle from Mac's, or when you need to bleed air out of the hose spaghetti (or a radiator that's all the way across the engine bay from the fill point) after performing routine maintenance, or when you need to gain access to the blower motor but the damn radiator tank is in the way, you'll regret it at some point.

I think the only time someone's regretted an open system conversion on this forum is when they messed up, or got a defective part. It's really not much of an undertaking, and I'm not too sure why your new shop seems to think it is.

I hear ya. I do want  the open system but don't feel I have the means to make it happen right this moment. Maybe it's something I can come back to once I'm on the east coast. Or if my test run points to the need for it... I will just have three business days for any last minute maintenance once I get back from the test drive :crossfingers: 

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

My preferred jack is a cheap 2-ton hydraulic floor jack. :D   I also carry a quality 4-way for the lugnuts.

a very long flat head screwdriver can be used as a tire winch in a pinch, but the junkyards will have handles and lug wrenches you can use.  some 'yards even have a selection of the things near the checkout. 

Smart! I was starting to feel like a whole jack kit would be overkill. Maybe I'll just do a floor jack and see if I can find a handle for the older stand.

Since I didn't see it mentioned: the "jack stand" in your pic is the factory emergency jack. It's cranked up by turning the round piece that looks like it has a slot for a screwdriver in it. The slot fits a special folding tool that's used to crank it up quickly, or alternatively a flat head screwdriver or lug wrench. The head of it is curved to fit either the front or rear axle; don't use it to jack the truck up anywhere else. It is designed pretty much for emergency roadside tire changes only.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, rokinn said:

Turn on the air conditioner and look in the engine bay.  The fan should come on.  If it doesn't then something is wrong.  You can run wires from the battery to the plug in for the fan on the drivers side to see if the fan runs.  Just unplug the wiring and run wires from the battery to that plug.  One from the neg post and one from the pos post.  Black should be the ground wire.  That will run your fan.  If you don't want to do it let your shop do it.  It could also be a bad relay in the circuit.  The one for the fan is on the drivers side on the fender panel.

Turns out the fan was not working. Are bad relays a common issue in these? 

21 hours ago, Minuit said:

Since I didn't see it mentioned: the "jack stand" in your pic is the factory emergency jack. It's cranked up by turning the round piece that looks like it has a slot for a screwdriver in it. The slot fits a special folding tool that's used to crank it up quickly, or alternatively a flat head screwdriver or lug wrench. The head of it is curved to fit either the front or rear axle; don't use it to jack the truck up anywhere else. It is designed pretty much for emergency roadside tire changes only.

Ahh very good to know!

relays are relays.  if it was 30 years old, it was on borrowed time.  if it was cheap, it was cheap.  I always carry some spares. :D  fuses too.  a trip to a junkyard should provide more than you'll even need. 

Well wahoo!! I made it from LA to SF and back with no problems. :applause: With thanks to my shop for fixing up my cooling system and a few other things they found in their inspection, as well as with thanks to y'all for guiding me through it all. Was grinning driving up the 5. The way back last night felt a little post apocalyptic though on account of all the wildfire smoke. Hope all the Cali folks are staying safe!

Congratulations.  :L::applause: You may want to pick your route with care if you plan on leaving in the near future.  I70 is closed through Glenwood Canyon for the foreseeable future as is Hw 139 north of Loma near Grand Junction as is Hw 14 west of Ft Collins, all due to wild fires.  Smoke in northern CO area is pretty bad.  Current visibility is 2 miles.  Two hurricanes due to hit the gulf coast mid week and move up through the Mississippi and Ohio valleys.  I would expect a fair bit of flooding in that area.  What's your destination?

9 hours ago, jazzyjeeper said:

Destination is Richmond, VA. Planning on sticking to 40 for the most part, still figuring out the last bit. 

524445646_ScreenShot2020-08-23at7_59_33AM.png.0481a85ce87d2cc19154b9687900edb2.png

LA-->Vegas-->Zion National Park--> Grand Canyon National Park-->Monument Valley--> Albuquerque 

That would be a 'bucket list" route for some folks. Camp under the stars if you can.  Night sky is quite a sight thanks to some of the lowest light pollution levels in the country.  The vistas will stick with you for a lifetime.

15 hours ago, jazzyjeeper said:

Destination is Richmond, VA. Planning on sticking to 40 for the most part, still figuring out the last bit. 

524445646_ScreenShot2020-08-23at7_59_33AM.png.0481a85ce87d2cc19154b9687900edb2.png

And check out the killer camper shell I snagged yesterday!!

Screen_Shot_2020-08-23_at_8_06.32_AM.png.7b4eb693b79f40cb1b7dcfacf912443e.png

I'm about 45 minutes south of Nashville.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:05 PM, DesertRat1991 said:

LA-->Vegas-->Zion National Park--> Grand Canyon National Park-->Monument Valley--> Albuquerque 

That would be a 'bucket list" route for some folks. Camp under the stars if you can.  Night sky is quite a sight thanks to some of the lowest light pollution levels in the country.  The vistas will stick with you for a lifetime.

That sounds awesome. Have always wanted to go to Zion!

On 8/23/2020 at 9:24 AM, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

That is awesome! Wish I could find one like that.

Goodluck on your trip. Keep us updated.

:D Thanks! Setting off tomorrow AM!

On 8/23/2020 at 11:45 PM, Minuit said:

I'm about 45 minutes south of Nashville.

Nice! Maybe we can cruise through and say hi!

Three days in and she’s running strong! Had to take a break in Mojave to cool down on a grade but otherwise the engine has stayed cool. Ended up camping by Zion the first night and took the recommendation on sleeping under the stars. Was so beautiful! Cruised through Grand Staircase too and stopped at lake Powell. Heading towards TN today :comanche:

A0D5CB59-A9C5-4D3F-B1BB-522BC7D009BE.jpeg.29c3f7973425b5e0b827ae0984cf237b.jpeg

22D40678-4F65-40EA-9C2B-C6717C4F9E5F.jpeg.c44ed2a2c4e4f8624d0caf56c4476d7d.jpeg

Update! We are having problems shifting. Seems to have changed pretty quickly. I had just checked the oil and the level seemed good. It’s hard/not possible to move the shifter knob when needed. Any ideas what’s happening? We’re by Bristow, OK right now.

51 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Hows your clutch fluid?

I’m not sure how the clutch fluid is. Where is that under the hood?

48 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I had that a couple times with the old peugeot. :(  not fun.  

does it struggle if the engine is off too?

It seems inconsistent but right now it’s moving with the engine off. 

I have a tow coming... hopefully it will be an easy fix?

if it moves fine through the gears with the engine off, than it's likely clutch related. 

the clutch reservoir is in the engine bay right next to the brake booster. :L:   I think it's a push and twist cap.