Must have MJ upgrades for a cross country drive?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I just talked with @CoastChief about your issue and he told me what you found. Once you get good at dropping the trans under 40 min it gets old. Pretty much all slave cylinders are junk right out of the box. Biggest problem with them is the U-clips that hold the metal hoses to the slave. If those arent replaced with something better or pushed down more securely, the pressure from the clutch master and lines will cause one of those internal slave lines to fail. Check the bell house and see if theres a mass amount of brake fluid dripping right there. 

I had been in your spot once where I lost all fluid and the u-clip popped out and popped the hose out of place. Also check the lines too for a failure from the master to the union fitting for the slave cylinder.

X1000^^^  Happened to me as well.  Those cheezy little U-shaped clips that hold the slave lines into the throwout are garbage.  I barely got 100 miles on my new internal slave before one of them popped off.  I pulled the tranny back out, saw what happened, and promptly replaced those clips with cotter pins bent so they'd never come loose.

If you're now in the Richmond area and still need a hand, I'm around all weekend.  Let me know, I can at least take a look at it for you.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:38 PM, mjeff87 said:

If you're now in the Richmond area and still need a hand, I'm around all weekend.  Let me know, I can at least take a look at it for you.

Oh man thanks for offering! My sidekick's destination was actually Richmond, and I parked it in Charlottesville. The other half of the story that I haven't mentioned yet is that I'm leaving the country today for a year for school :peep:  so sadly I won't be able to work on the truck for a while. Sounds like my dad has some interest though, I might try to get him on here. He's going to try to sort out the slave stuff and drive it occasionally while I'm gone.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, CoastChief said:

Wow, super happy you got some great advice! Sorry I couldn’t haven’t been more of a use @jazzyjeeper. Plenty of great people though! GUESS ILL FORGIVE YOU ABOUT THE SEATS :laugh:

Hahhh :rotfl2:

But yes, amazing advice all around, I couldn't have done it without y'all! I'm glad I took the truck on the drive, despite the challenges. I will be anticipating my reunion with her! Gonna do a paint job eventually and who knows what else.