90s wrangler ax15 with transfer case

Yep it will work but the transfer case will be clocked higher than stock. Youll have to see if it interferes with your floor in that area. Check and see if the bell housing is external slave or not. If not, you can brag a bell housing from a 94 and up

Rotated. The Cherokee transmission tunnel is taller, so the transmission fits up higher. To make up for it, the transfer case is rotated about 10 degrees counter clockwise (looking from the rear). From what I have read, it doesn't take much work from a BFH to massage your floor pans, the back of the Wrangler transmission can be redrilled with about 10 degrees of rotation, or you can use a thin clocking ring.

Not a dropped crossmember, you would need to have it flatter.

Depending on the year of the transmission, you might need a non-standard pilot bushing/bearing. A later AX-15 has a 0.750 pilot stub on the input shaft. That's what i just got, and O'Reillys local to me has the right Pilot Bushing in stock. It's available elsewhere, too, Timken Part PB77HD, National uses the same part number. If it's the earlier one, the pilot from the late '89 5 speed should be right. last time i looked, Davy's Jeep has the late model external slave for sale for $150, with the release arm.

13 hours ago, rylee144 said:

I don't know what clocked higher means. If it means it sits higher do I get a drop cross member?

you might need to.  between the t-case being rotated up a bit plus you don't have the AX-15 crossmember with the little drop in the middle, it might be a tight fit.  also the wrangler shifter handle get super close to the dash in 1,3,5.  But it's doable. :L:   I have a 2000 AX-15 in my 88.  :comanche:

it's not that bad of a project. :L:    but you'll make your life easier by sourcing the crossmember and trans shifter (handle plus the tower), and t-case linkage from an XJ. 

if the wrangler was a TJ, you'll get a t-case with a sealed rear output.  :D 

The attached youtube videos show the "clocking" issue of a YJ vs. XJ trans.  Of course, these involve putting an XJ trans into a YJ.  The OP is going the other direction.

The videos would be a lot shorter if he didn't "man-slain" every little detail.

Part 1:

Part 2:

• 3 weeks later...