CSF radiator unbox and . . . Problem?

Thought you guys might enjoy this.

2 core all metal off of RockAuto. Arrived today.

20200429_225837.jpg

Box was taped and stabled well with a handle with care and radiator sticker.

Must have been handled well during the delivery process as there was no damage to the box at all.

20200429_231058.jpg

Lots of packing material

20200429_231203.jpg

More air pouch packing material held the radiator nice and firm.

20200429_231518.jpg

Exposed in all her glory.

Onto the problems:

Cooling fins are lose on the edges. Not attached to the tubes. Seems a tad sloppy,  but i don't think it will hurt performance. 

20200429_231657.jpg

This is the one that concerns me. This is a through split/crack and I'm not sure how much I should be worried about it propagating. 

The other nipple has no imperfections. 

20200429_231804.jpg

Excess weld bead inside the filler neck at the corner. Probably nothing to worry about but thought I would show it.

20200429_231648.jpg

I have generally heard good things about CSF radiators, but I would not hesitate to send this back for a replacement. Rock Auto's customer service is very good in my personal experience so I would think you won't have any trouble. Just my 2 cents worth. 

My OCD would never let me install that thing.  Surprised at the Q/A issues....CSF is (was?) a quality manufacturer.  None of that looks like shipping damage to me (I'm a Q/A Manager by trade, full disclosure).

• 1 month later...

Do CSF radiators use proprietary caps?

I got a cap out of the junkyard off of a late model cherokee with open cooling system since the new rad did not come with one.

The spring and all gaskets are in good shape,  but when i put it on i can squeeze the rad hose and coolant/air comes out the overflow nipple like nothing is there.

I have the cap fully locked into place, of this i am 100% certain, but its like it isnt long enough to seal on the bottom.

I don’t really understand the hype with the csf radiators. I got mine from 1800radiator. It’s all aluminum and the build quality is great with zero issues. If I didn’t already have this radiator I’d go with the mishimoto or griffin

12 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I don’t really understand the hype with the csf radiators. I got mine from 1800radiator. It’s all aluminum and the build quality is great with zero issues. If I didn’t already have this radiator I’d go with the mishimoto or griffin

Wasnt aware of any hype. I do know there are a boatload of ebay/amazon radiator suppliers. From what ive read its a real gamble whether or not you get a good one using these, china direct, suppliers.

I honestly don't know why i choose CSF, i went through rockauto.

Update:

Guys at the parts store did some comparing. The only thing they could see different between my JY cap and a new one was the metal flange had a very slight bend in it, but otherwise identical. 

We put the new cap in place and had myself and another guy squeeze the upper and lower rad hose. No air/coolant came out overflow nipple and the other guy said he could feel the increased pressure in the lower hose when i squeezed the upper soooooo problem solved . . . . I guess?