that's one heck of an NOS parts barnfind...

Pete M

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

How does an entire body go NOS.  Did they used to sell bodies back in the day?

They did.

That's the second one I've seen in the wild.  I wanted to buy the first one for a Cherokee I had at the time but it didn't work out.

Just now, derf said:

They did.

That's the second one I've seen in the wild.  I wanted to buy the first one for a Cherokee I had at the time but it didn't work out.

That's surprising to me.  Theoretically you could build an entire vehicle without a VIN then.  I'm sure they had some sort of contingency to prevent that tho.

19 hours ago, Dzimm said:

How does an entire body go NOS.  Did they used to sell bodies back in the day?

Yes, AMC used to sell complete bodies "in the white" (unpainted).

For grins and giggles, some us in the Javelin/AMX Club sat down one weekend with a parts book and tried to figure out what it would cost to buy everything from the factory and build our own AMX. At the time, IIRC, you could buy a new AMX for around $5,000. The cost to buy all the parts came to around $25,000.

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yes, AMC used to sell complete bodies "in the white" (unpainted).

For grins and giggles, some os in the Javelin/AMX Club sat down one weekend with a parts book and tried to figure out what it would cost to buy everything from the factory and build our own AMX. At the time, IIRC, you could buy a new AMX for around $5,000. The cost to buy all the parts came to around $25,000.

That doesn't surprise me, quite the markup there and you still had to build it yourself!