Project daily driver

I realize it seems overkill. I plan on mounting my high-lift, chainsaw, axe, and a shovel to it. So I figured it needs to be sturdy.

I had a couple 50 inch light bars already. I had ordered cab mounts but was sent ones for a curved light. So then I ordered a curved light and was sent another straight one.

Got tired of getting wrong stuff so made due with what was on hand. Ha.

20200913_104654_HDR.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a quick Rustoleum spray bomb. Did it at night with just a beer box for masking. I think it helped even for a quick makeover. Eventually it will get grey raptorliner. Cut 4 loads of wood in 4 days. Guess it doesn't matter how it looks if it works. 

I did manage to break a motor mount skidding logs. Now I'm waiting on ups for some cheap replacements for now. I plan on buying some bombproof ones when I swap the motor. That will be spring hopefully. Old mounts lasted over 30 years. If I can get the winter out of some cheap ones I will be happy.

20200926_164036.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did get these today in the mail. Hopefully I can get them installed this weekend. They were cheap so I'm not expecting a ton. But for 2 bills delivered I thought its worth a shot.  

On a side note I think I am picking up some geared and locked axles for my cj7 this weekend also. Kind of stoked about that.

IMG_20201026_162541_01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have a pic of starting the control arm swap. Got it done but haven't taken pics. It steers and rides much better.

Picked up a ZJ for $150.00 as a parts rig. Though I don't need any parts off it. Seemed too cheap to pass up as I'm sure one of my buddy's will get it from me and just wheel it as is. Sawzall and 33s . 😆

Got the silver WJ for free from my sister. Threw a 2 inch pod lift on it so I could put some tires on it that I already had laying around. Gave it to the wifes friend that needed a commuter. She has been driving the wheels off it with good luck. All it needed was a starter.

And lastly I picked up a model 20 and dana 30 for my CJ7. Rear has one piece axles, detroit, 4.56s and disc. Front has matching 4.56s and supposed to be aftermarket shafts but they look stock to me. Either way price was right even though I have to use my rear housing. I want to get everything swapped over and do a lunchbox in the front so I can play in the snow. Might be a bit before this happens though.

20201031_121712.jpg

20201005_180112.jpg

1601910877425.jpg

1601910890049.jpg

20200801_201231.jpg

On 11/13/2020 at 3:18 AM, 187Camaro said:

Any opinions on a lunchbox locker for the Chrysler rear in the mj since I do haul a bit of weight from time to time? Don't really care to start snapping axle shafts but would like a locker for in the snow.

Automatic lockers and snow don't mix well. You'd be better off with a limited slip or selectable locker.  But those are a whole lot more expensive.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well. Might get some heat for this but, I just ordered 5.38 gears for ford hp60 and a 14 bolt that I have had stashed. Also have a long arm kit for wife's xj on the way. Hoping to copy design from wife's kit for mj. I will keep ya posted.... 

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2021 at 2:38 AM, 187Camaro said:

Not much new. Did buy some used STTs and mounted them on some free wheels. I think it looks much better. Not a bad $100 upgrade.

20210626_204116.jpg

Hi there! Not to hijack this thread, but I just want to be sure of what I'm looking at in this picture. So, you have R.E. front springs, your custom MJ/Wagoneer fronts bastard pack with SOA? Are those still 265/70R17 tires on there? And are those leaf springs still on stock MJ shackles? How do you like the ride of your custom leaf pack compared to stock? I'm asking because I'm on 31s, I bought the same R.E. coils but haven't intalled them yet. I was in a dilema for the rear lift, and the stance of your truck is pretty much what I'm shooting for!

Those are 265/70r17s in most pics. Current tires are 33x10.50r15 sxII swampers. Rides great. Stock mj shackle. Wife's xj had 3 inch trail master and my comanche rides way nicer. 

Yes it is SOA in the rear. I never drove it stock so I can't compare. It is actually a little soft in the rear for the amount of weight I have put on it but I don't want it to sit any higher.

Only issue since completing was grenading factory motor mounts skidding firewood. 

20221014_170856.jpg

20221001_170739.jpg

10 minutes ago, 187Camaro said:

Those are 265/70r17s in most pics. Current tires are 33x10.50r15 sxII swampers. Rides great. Stock mj shackle. Wife's xj had 3 inch trail master and my comanche rides way nicer. 

Yes it is SOA in the rear. I never drove it stock so I can't compare. It is actually a little soft in the rear for the amount of weight I have put on it but I don't want it to sit any higher.

Only issue since completing was grenading factory motor mounts skidding firewood. 

20221014_170856.jpg

20221001_170739.jpg

Thanks for the reply! Last question, do you remember what year Wagoneer you used the leafs from, or remember how many leaves it had? I did a quick search and found, 5, 6 and 7 leaves front leaf pack for Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer/J-trucks, and Crown even offers a 4 leaf heavy duty replacement, so I'm getting confused!!!

I don't remember. It is kind of a bastard pack I made. I used the mj main leaf and probably 2 wagoneer leafs than than mj leaf. I think It is 4 total with the thick flat leaf at the bottom. Truck isn't close at the moment. I don't know the year of wagoneer the springs came from. I got them from a friend already pulled.