New Instrument cluster

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

"80s" doesn't help too much. The "80s" XJs and MJs all had mechanical speedometers, but there were two different types, and each type had a completely different method of attaching the speedo cable to the speedo head in the cluster.

That cluster is from a base model with idiot lights instead of gauges. About the only thing anyone might want or need out of it is the speedoemter head, but without knowing which type of cable connection is has it's impossible to know what year vehicles it fits.

thank you for this mine is a 88 with the idiot lights. trying to make sure i don't make the same mistake of purchasing the wrong cluster!

2 hours ago, CoastChief said:

thank you for this mine is a 88 with the idiot lights. trying to make sure i don't make the same mistake of purchasing the wrong cluster!

For an '88 you need the speedo head with the white nylon clip attaching the cable to the head.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Eagle said:

For an '88 you need the speedo head with the white nylon clip attaching the cable to the head.

I'm confused Eagle, I apologize. 

I ordered the TU108 temp and the PS133 oil pressure. I bought one from a 88 with the same 4.0 Engine. I was going to open it and correct it etc. I thought It was just plug and play after installing these components ? 

Thank you- 

EDIT- here is the video I was referring too 

6 minutes ago, CoastChief said:

I'm confused Eagle, I apologize. 

I ordered the TU108 temp and the PS133 oil pressure. I bought one from a 88 with the same 4.0 Engine. I was going to open it and correct it etc. I thought It was just plug and play after installing these components ? 

Thank you- 

1987 through 1990 clusters use the "nylon" style of speedometer cable connection. If yours is truly from an 88, then it will be plug and play after installing the senders.

The problem comes when trying to swap an 84-86 cluster into an 87-90 vehicle or vice versa.

4 minutes ago, Minuit said:

1987 through 1990 clusters use the "nylon" style of speedometer cable connection. If yours is truly from an 88, then it will be plug and play after installing the senders.

The problem comes when trying to swap an 84-86 cluster into an 87-90 vehicle or vice versa.

Here is the cluster that was sold to me as a 88. Is there any way to identify it as that year?

E1A41839-1444-43D6-9129-FF462E1838C9.jpeg

13253463-F2E9-457D-831A-0A8BC13B1D88.jpeg

7E5E2BEC-C319-4074-8450-7C916D4CBB29.jpeg

0D441775-FFBC-4E84-A221-AC9DFC1151A2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Minuit said:

That's an 87-90 style. You're good to go.

whew!  I thought I made a major mistake again.....I picked a 95 cluster earlier this week and got over excited! 

Thanks Minuit! Iv been reading about your radios all day actually! I just purchased a RX-173! Sent a email to the radio emporium !

14 hours ago, CoastChief said:

do you trust crown automotive parts? any recommendations for a replacement to the OEM

I replaced mine with Pioneer and it bounces a little. Cable lube seemed to help. Make sure it is secured in a couple places will help also.

It’s done! Was actually relatively simple! ><a href=https://comancheclub.com/uploads/monthly_2020_02/5E8046E5-F016-4D7F-824C-11A1301B411F.jpeg.f764195f5935f22c816b3ceadada5dd6.jpeg' alt='5E8046E5-F016-4D7F-824C-11A1301B411F.jpeg.f764195f5935f22c816b3ceadada5dd6.jpeg'>
7277F832-ED47-44F1-B0E7-ABA5CBB52091.jpeg.e0b4514a2a332f1748fcaf0cbcea6acd.jpeg
51C0B29D-839D-4680-9061-FA0DE36123C7.jpeg.b94adad1ad61a61f237d11fc69a4497a.jpeg
3983729C-F364-4691-AEB9-24DAC26A9AE1.jpeg.c249d58969b91502df87b0429c02d743.jpeg

Sorry to get a little off topic, but my speedo cable also has that plug. I replaced my cluster and when I slipped it back on, it locked it in. How would I remove it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, CoastChief said:

It’s done! Was actually relatively simple!  
I replaced the sensors and it worked perfectly. My speedometer kinda bounces though. Had the same problem before the cluster .

As Jeep Driver said -- cable.

Before you buy a new one: First, make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable routing. Obviously, it comes off the tranny or transfer case, makes a 90-degree bend to go forward and then about a 180-degree bend back to and through the firewall. Make sure those are as large radius sweeps as you can get it.

If the outer sheath hasn't been damaged, you should be able to disconnect at the ends, pull the inner core out, and lubricate it. After 20+ years it's probably bone dry, which doesn't help the cable to rotate smoothly.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, Eagle said:

Before you buy a new one: First, make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable routing. Obviously, it comes off the tranny or transfer case, makes a 90-degree bend to go forward and then about a 180-degree bend back to and through the firewall. Make sure those are as large radius sweeps as you can get it.

If the outer sheath hasn't been damaged, you should be able to disconnect at the ends, pull the inner core out, and lubricate it. After 20+ years it's probably bone dry, which doesn't help the cable to rotate smoothly.

thank you eagle, after looking at it a little closer, just seems that its been worn in some areas. I was looking to order a new cable but I can't seem to find out what is the proper replacement for the Comanche. Reading in the manual it refers to several lengths. I cannot find a guide on a cable swap. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

4 hours ago, CoastChief said:

thank you eagle, after looking at it a little closer, just seems that its been worn in some areas. I was looking to order a new cable but I can't seem to find out what is the proper replacement for the Comanche. Reading in the manual it refers to several lengths. I cannot find a guide on a cable swap. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

You've come to your second hurdle. Mirrors and now a cable. 

There is no MJ specific cable available. I also replaced mine with the Pioneer and mine bounced around too, that's why I suggested the NAPA.

If not for the XJ, most of the parts that are available for the MJ would not exist at all.......if not for shared parts. Windshield for example, none are listed for the MJ and only independent shops will install the XJ glass.

The cables are longer, too long, likely a generic cable which fits a dozen other applications. You'll have to route in a way that allows for the 6" of extra length. 

Your mirrors- I suspect- Dealer supplied option at the time, 'performance towing' or some such thing, specifically if you have the factory mirror blank panels at the window. Likely had a 1 or two year run, could have been regional or even a couple of local dealers which offered those. I have looked for you.....looked everywhere, I have found not even a hint of anything similar. There are options, options I suspect which are out of your wheelhouse, I didn't even make suggestions. 

I'm not beating the drum here, however, two paths you can take going forward- 

Wallow around in the ruts or make your own path........that's the choice you'll have particularly in the next couple of years when these NOS (any part, used or aftermarket) parts dry up, and they will.

20 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

You've come to your second hurdle. Mirrors and now a cable. 

There is no MJ specific cable available. I also replaced mine with the Pioneer and mine bounced around too, that's why I suggested the NAPA.

If not for the XJ, most of the parts that are available for the MJ would not exist at all.......if not for shared parts. Windshield for example, none are listed for the MJ and only independent shops will install the XJ glass.

The cables are longer, too long, likely a generic cable which fits a dozen other applications. You'll have to route in a way that allows for the 6" of extra length. 

Your mirrors- I suspect- Dealer supplied option at the time, 'performance towing' or some such thing, specifically if you have the factory mirror blank panels at the window. Likely had a 1 or two year run, could have been regional or even a couple of local dealers which offered those. I have looked for you.....looked everywhere, I have found not even a hint of anything similar. There are options, options I suspect which are out of your wheelhouse, I didn't even make suggestions. 

I'm not beating the drum here, however, two paths you can take going forward- 

Wallow around in the ruts or make your own path........that's the choice you'll have particularly in the next couple of years when these NOS (any part, used or aftermarket) parts dry up, and they will.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! iv gone as far as post them in S10 groups. Nobody has any idea. For now I picked up some vent windows and Chrome mirrors from a 90'! I feel at 24 years old looking at the rising cost of XJs I'm right on time to start getting some parts set aside! 

On 2/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, JMO413 said:

I replaced mine with Pioneer and it bounces a little. Cable lube seemed to help. Make sure it is secured in a couple places will help also.

they just showed me that at autozone. Guess ill pick one up! 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, Eagle said: