89 4x4 Conversion And AX15 Swap HELP

Driver side mount is really hard to see. You can't tell but the rubber has a decent sized crack in it and it looks like the rubber is pulled back kinda far. It doesn't help me, but I measured from the valve cover to the support bracket above the radiator maybe that will help one of you see if its back to far?

MM.jpg

MM2.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM4.jpg

MM5.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Killernoise said:

As far as the crossmember, yes its still the BA10s factory.

This. Right here. You need the AX15 cross member. That cross member is good for only the BA10/5 and the AX4 and 5. 

Thus meaning the holes and mounting will be different than that of the original cross member.

image.png.41a5a1736a3f62f795dc8f006a0dde9c.png

Two different part numbers are listed here. Any AX15 cross member will do. Yes it says 89-90 but its for just that number. It supersedes to an AB for later years but remains the same.

What would the correct crossmember do as far as moving the motor trans back farther? If i have to pry the $#!& out of it to get it all to move back so the crossmember will fit either something is wrong or something was wrong lol i do BELIEVE i tried to use a ax15 crossmember and the holes didn't line up i had to use the ba10 to get it somewhat bolted in. can't REMEMBER FOR CERTAIN THOUGH TO MANY JEEPS

OP, make sure all of your bellhousing bolts are tight (I see a couple of them that appear a bit loose in your pics), get the correct AX15 crossmember, make sure the trans mount (bolted to the trans) is installed correctly, and try installing the crossmember.  If it does not line up one way, spin it 180 degrees and try it again.  There are small little differences in all of this AX15 stuff from all the others, and you might be suffering from a combination of them.

Although, something is still taking me back to you having to cut the input shaft to get the trans mounted to the engine.  I'm not completely sure that is playing into your current problem, but it might be somehow.  You shoudn't have had to do that.

Can you also do me/us a quick favor, just to satisfy my curiosity?  See if a magnet will stick to the mid-plate (the thing I circled in your pic here).  AX15's have an aluminum plate, while AX5's have a cast plate.  I'm not even sure this is a possibility, but you may have an AX5 trans there somehow bolted to an AX15 bellhousing.  If a magnet sticks to the midplate, you might have issues.

Not saying this is the case at all, but I've been staring at your pics alot trying to figure out the problem and just want to rule this possibility out.  You said you got the trans and TC out of a 94 XJ, but that doesn't explain the vacuum connector on the TC (for a D30 disconnect axle), plus the missing tag on the TC.  Something isn't adding up in my mind on all this.

midplate.JPG

Or.....as asked before.... the bottom of the red circle shows a tag.....Take a pic and post all the id numbers you can....The transfer case is not out of a 94 xj.....only 94 with a vac disconnect would be a YJ.......and that would have a different mount to the cross member....

We are try to help but we need more info......:dunno:

I Know you guys are probably getting frustrated with delayed replies, but I do work full time 12hr shifts. Please have patience with me. It's also winter and pissing rain 24/7 and its not exactly ideal to go crawling around under it in the weather. I do not think this is an AX5, I have an AX5 in my 97 TJ and its much smaller. I will test it just to put you at ease though. While I'm down there ill bring a flashlight and i'll take pics of everything that i can. You might be right it might not be from a 94 but an AX15 is still an AX15 lol

No worries bud, we're all just wanting to help you get it figured out.  Honestly, I wish I was able to look at your setup in person.....it's really difficult sometimes to try to diagnose things over the Internet.

Trust us, we will eventually figure it out.:beerchug:

• 3 weeks later...

ok I'm not sure if ya have it figured out but it looks like the BELL housing is too long. in theory yes the 94 should fit but it clearly doesnt and your transmissions position proves this. having done a 2wd to 4x4 conversion mine lined up perfect. here's a bit of my experience. truck 89 2wd ax 15. swaped out to a 92 4x4 ax15 / 231j  tcase trans has internal slave. i blew transmission. put in peugot pos thing. yes it is in fact shorter!!!! i had to change my cross member position. repaired ax trans put back in. i had to use the 4x4 drive shaft from the comanche. but otherwise i used cherokee stuff for the front.  i never changed engine mount or crossmember. from what it looks like the 94 bell housing with external slave is longer. you may have to find one from a closer year. evidently i do have a spare, but its internal slave and I'm in canada so shipping could be brutal. if you want i can try to get pics and measurements. of what mine looks like. just soot me a message.

its possable they changed the input shaft lengths on the transmision as well. i would say maybe look up some specs on different years and see if its changed. and yours is deffiniatly an ax 15 but it looks newer. i know there is changes to the 231j t case. it wouldnt surprise me if other things changed too.

Everywhere i look it all says the bellhousing is the same the only difference is they added the hole for external slave. I don't think I've ever read any different. The old ba10 is barely shorter not enough of a difference though. I do wish i kept the 2wd ba10 to do measurements off of but that things long gone. From the day i started this thread till now i haven't gotten any closer, except i installed the starter. Lol

hmm ill grab some pics with measurements. and see if yours line up the same. i beleive i read the same thing. that they are the same. but unlus your mounts somehow shifted an inch.  or you got the one truck made an inch shorter... i think you got something else going on. at least it will give you a few ideas anyway. altho mine no longer has the 231j in it or the factory cross member. it still has the ax15 and jeep 4.0 in factory spots.