Free Comanche got a fuel tank question

A co-worker gave me this 1989 truck with only 59k miles on it. It needs the bumper and grill replaced and a fuel tank and pump assembly. A used bumper and grill came with it but they had taken the fuel pump assembly out of the tank a couple of years ago and now the tank is all rusted up and the FP assy is a rusted mess too. Can I just buy a new 15 gallon tank and use the 4.0L fuel pump assembly? Seems like the 2.5 fuel pump assembly is no longer available? Or buy the 4.0 FP setup and install a 2.5 pump on it??

I'm new to these Jeeps but a die hard Mopar fan. I'm doing a 5.7 Hemi swap into my 02 Dakota right now.

thanks for any input on this fuel tank and pump.

CZZN1822.JPG

Welcome to the addiction! You are going to see some very jealous mj owners pop up. To have been given a good condition, low mileage Comanche given to you is awesome! You will find all your answers somewhere on this forum. I did just see a thread about gas tanks and fuel pumps, sorry I am heading to work and can't lead you there. If you don't already know this, everything from the doors forward is the same on the Comanche (mj) and Cherokee (xj). You might have problems finding same color header panel but should be able to find the right parts. Good luck and keep posting pics and progress!

Buck.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, Derek502 said:

and the FP assy is a rusted mess too.

how about posting some pics of what you have, maintaining one of these trucks can be a challenge due to limited availability but there are many people following this forum that are good at getting a second life out of a rusted mess

On 11/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, Derek502 said:

I just found out that MTS has the fuel pump assembly for $149 and I can get a new tank for $125-$140. 

I have the MTS assembly in my truck and the gauge isn't very accurate but that's my only problem with it. It's a very nice product otherwise. I would just but a new tank also and Save the headache. Just my thoughts.

Also very jealous that looks like a very nice truck!

I'm going with the MTS pump assembly and a new tank from Rock Auto. I bought a new battery for it this morning so this means that I'll start tinkering with it this weekend. I'll keep you posted on the process.  I like to bring old cars/trucks back from the dead.