Steering Issues

Ok here is the deal guy’s if you are sitting in the seat I can steer to the left just fine. It makes a turn just like it is suppose to but if I turn to the right it will not turn as tight as to the left WHY?? I mean when I am out on the trail this is a huge pain in the butt I have to back up turn back up turn and then go. What gives.

Any body have a clue what I need to adjust in my steering.

Did you lift the jeep and not adjust the draglink?

no i did not I guess that is some thing i sould do

also pete I think you might be right as well the steering wheel could be out of wack to :nuts: And yes it is a big deal it is a pain in the a$$

Did you lift the jeep and not adjust the draglink?

no i did not I guess that is some thing i sould do

also pete I think you might be right as well the steering wheel could be out of wack to :nuts: And yes it is a big deal it is a pain in the a$$

If that's the case, put the front end on jackstands. Lock the steering column with the wheel pointing straight and adjust the draglink until the wheels are straight. That will get you back to where you are supposed to be.

If that's the case, put the front end on jackstands. Lock the steering column with the wheel pointing straight and adjust the draglink until the wheels are straight. That will get you back to where you are supposed to be.

Not to be a smart a$$ and maybe i read this wrong but if the wheel are straight and lock in to place how am I going to adjust the drag link until the wheels are straight

Not to be a smart a$$ and maybe i read this wrong but if the wheel are straight and lock in to place how am I going to adjust the drag link until the wheels are straight

Lock the column with the STEERING WHEEL pointing straight

Lock the column with the STEERING WHEEL pointing straight

ok thanks

But i am leaning towrd the steering box being not centered

... pretty sure they're talkin about the same thing...

basically since you lifted the truck, the drag link is pulled up higher and because its a y-link the steering geometry got fubar-d

so when you adjust the drag link the steering wheel and the tires will be pointing straight.

Adjust the draglink and recheck it. You should be sitting right then. Both the above explanations are refering to the same thing. And if it wasnt adjusted when the truck was lifted then its way off and with the steering truly staright IE linkages and wheel the tires will point way to the left. Hope you get it right good luck.

Cole

OK so here we go. The blue bar is the bar you need to be worried with. The red area is where the prob will be created. Now stay with me. If you raise the truck and don't extend the bar the angle in the bars increases(red area) causeing the lower bar (green) to pull closer to the drivers side. Now that the angle is off you are messing up all the stuff on the lickage. since your tires are pulled further over towards so when you have straight tires the arm will not be staright and already be using up stroke for your right hand turn. Throw the MJ on some stand and go to adjusting and see if that don't fix the prob. If not then we now have more to explain. Hope this helps.

Cole

Just so I got it right in my own head I drew some basic cheats.

This is what it should look like.

1 wheels strait

2 steering wheel strait

3 pitman arm strait (parallel with steering box.)

Now if the wheels are strait and the steering wheel is strait but the pitman arm is off. You need to adjust the draglink.

Hope this helps because until I put it down on paper it wasn't clicking.

:cheers:

Now if the wheels are strait and the steering wheel is strait but the pitman arm is off. You need to adjust the draglink.

Hope this helps because until I put it down on paper it wasn't clicking.

:cheers:

Wrong.

Adjusting the drag link does not change the relationship of the pitman arm to the steering wheel. The drag link only changes the relationship of the road wheels to the pitman arm.

If the pitman arm is not straight but the steering wheel is, someone has had the steering wheel off and didn't install it straight. The steering wheel should be straight when the pitman arms is straight, and vise versa.

It sounds like you need to pull your steering wheel and re-center it. It might be best to have a front end shop do this, to be sure it's correct.

Wrong.

Adjusting the drag link does not change the relationship of the pitman arm to the steering wheel. The drag link only changes the relationship of the road wheels to the pitman arm.

If the pitman arm is not straight but the steering wheel is, someone has had the steering wheel off and didn't install it straight. The steering wheel should be straight when the pitman arms is straight, and vise versa.

It sounds like you need to pull your steering wheel and re-center it. It might be best to have a front end shop do this, to be sure it's correct.

:fool: Doh I used the wrong strait too.

I was going to ask if the steering wheel could be put on wrong but I didn't think it could be.

My thinking with above was that if the steering wheel although straight, was a full turn off when the draglink was put back on. Or is that even possible?

those pics are almost correct for the most part. I think the plan is to rip the whole thing off and but on a ZJ V-8 steering and start over. :D Well that sounded good but not going to happen.

What I am going to do:

-center the tires

-disconnect the pitman arm move steering wheel to center by finding center of the steering box and market center on there so I no where my pit man arm goes

-Then I am going to put my pitman arm center on that mark

-Then making sure that the axle is center with the truck

Then adjust track bar(if needed) and attach draglink

In my head this should work :nuts:

O and then take it to the nearest shop to have an alignments done to make sure every thing is ok :popcorn:

What do you think

What I am going to do:

-center the tires

-disconnect the pitman arm move steering wheel to center by finding center of the steering box and market center on there so I no where my pit man arm goes

-Then I am going to put my pitman arm center on that mark

-Then making sure that the axle is center with the truck

Then adjust track bar(if needed) and attach draglink

o and u shouldnt have to do all of that, just point the wheels straight and loosen the lock coller on the drag link and adjust till the pitman arm is straight by using ur educated eye and checking the steering wheel.

remember its not rocket science :brows: