Steering Issues

What I am going to do:

-center the tires

-disconnect the pitman arm move steering wheel to center by finding center of the steering box and market center on there so I no where my pit man arm goes

-Then I am going to put my pitman arm center on that mark

-Then making sure that the axle is center with the truck

Then adjust track bar(if needed) and attach draglink

In my head this should work :nuts:

O and then take it to the nearest shop to have an alignments done to make sure every thing is ok :popcorn:

What do you think

Won't work.

The pitman arm only goes on the sector shaft (the steering box output shaft) one way. There's a locating boss that ensures that. The steering wheel can be put on the steering column any old way. Fortunately, it's a lot easier to pull the steering wheel than it is to pull the pitman arm. What you need to do is get your pitman arm lined up straight, then remove the steering wheel and re-install so that it's straight. Then adjust the drag link to get the tires straight when the steering wheel is straight.

The bottom line is this: It is important to adjust so the pitman arm is straight when the road wheels are straight. That's the ONLY way you'll have equal turning to the left and the right, and it's also the only way you'll avoid damage to the internals of the steering box when you adjust the over-center lash screw. If the steering wheel is not straight when the pitman arm is straight (ignore the road wheels), your steering wheel is installed incorrectly on the steering column.

Well eagle this is what I did

I did not take the pitman arm off. I really could care less if the steering wheel is upside down and on backwards for say.

I just center the pitman arm with the truck like it is suppose to be then adjust my drag link to the pit man arm. The pit man arm is straight and so are the tires (well kind of) I need to still do the aliment thing today some time but it seem to be a lot better I have not drove it yet. But it does turn equally to the left and the right now.