88 Eliminator Junkyard Gem

So back in June of 2018 I found this 2WD short bed eliminator one Friday afternoon when I went look for Cherokee parts for my at the time girlfriends 99 sport. Had been dropped off a year or so ago as the owner didn't want to deal with the problems. Here are the pictures of it outside the junkyard before going back the next day to get the truck as it is immensely clean.

KIMG0523.JPG.36581a543f35dc97a155132f7d984f7e.JPGKIMG0528.JPG.67714e7211ed3f5d8543fa4ce91bf3b5.JPG

24002.thumb.jpeg.f527c2f2d4dd477fa1292397562e35ae.jpeg

After getting it home and looking it over I took my battery jump box and started it back up to see if there were any issues besides when they informed me.

Known Problems at this point:

► Bad Battery

► Transmission Issues

► Wheel locks with no key

So after checking fluids I started the truck up and moved it around the driveway. Took the tags off the Trailbreaker and drove it the 5 minutes to my buddies house to use it tools to get the wheel locks off. This little truck has some nice acceleration and the only issue with the transmission was second gear synchronize was going bad. No really issue but it was still able to be driven and drove it few times around what is called south county to the local hardware store and dump. Got a few compliments on it as it is a nice clean truck. Well after a few test drive it got parked under the car port as other projects on my other Comanche Trailbreaker were picking up.   

Finally after about a year of sitting under my wooden car port I was able to start work on the Eliminator. Well this list of known problems has now increased to the following:

► Bad Battery

► Internal Slave Cylinder Leaking

► Transmission Issue with 2nd Gear

► Fuel Gauge not reading correctly

► Rear Brake Drums Seized

Due to the seized drums and slave cylinder issues, the Comanche did not want to roll liked it had to put under the car port. So I removed the driveshaft and disconnected the parking brake lines. No luck still did not want to roll. Out comes Trailbreaker to pull the truck to hopefully unseize the drums. Well now with the truck out in front of the garage the next challenge was how to get into the garage. THe only thought we had as to use Trailbreaker and gently push the truck as someone steers, however it was too tall.

Grabbing the keys to the Cherokee, my fiance looked at me and just walked to her Kia saying "I see nothing and I should probably leave now." My buddy and I just started laughing as she left for work. Her Cherokee was not lifted so the bumpers lined up. Laying blankets over the hood of the blue Comanche we slowly pushed the truck into the garage. No marks or damage was sustained by the truck. There was a mark on the Cherokee but not sure if that was caused by this or the deer it hit....I'm going with deer.

Here she is once in the garage. 

KIMG1177.JPG.cc8f5571e7a3c37e3bb5c74cc58fd876.JPGKIMG1178.JPG.ca399795a0c4239757aefa059530297f.JPG

Started working on the brake drums to get an idea of how bad they were....oh they had become bad and I need to get my sledge hammer to beat the drums off.

KIMG1190.JPG.7ae5ea110055776bdf0eb26e8c074163.JPGKIMG1186.JPG.ba274180dc86ee646f9ba1e1394beaa8.JPG

Well that is currently all that has been done so let me know what else you would like to see.

KIMG1180.JPG

I've uttered the words "found an MJ at the junkyard today" before, usually with much excitement. :D I can't imagine following it up with "and I brought her home".  :eek:

that's a super clean truck you found!  :bowdown: 

Thank you kind comments on the Eliminator. Yeah I was amazed at how clean the truck was. The entire underside of the truck was lined with something to protect it as was as the bed with only the top of the tail gate lining loose with a little rust there. 

On 8/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, Pete M said:

I've uttered the words "found an MJ at the junkyard today" before, usually with much excitement. :D I can't imagine following it up with "and I brought her home".  :eek:

that's a super clean truck you found!  :bowdown: 

I agree with you there Pete M as I have only found a total of two other MJs in the junkyard besides this one and they were in ruff shape. Never thought I would be uttering those same words of bringing her home from there.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, JMO413 said:

That is an a absolutely beautiful truck! Good find.

Thank you on the truck and I can't wait to get it back together to just cruise around in it with the soon to be wife. Maybe she will finally be able to learn how to drive a manual since she can reach the petals in this truck and my knees aren't in my chin since it has bucket seats. :brows:

Additionally, within 30 minutes of joining a Facebook group for the Comanche someone was asking if they could buy this truck.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, eaglescout526 said:

This world is full of Wendy wastefuls. Kinda miss the depression generation of kids who saved EVERYTHING. 

But that is what I call a diamond in the rough. 

Be sure to register it!

Eaglescout526 it is a shame indeed. I may be of this newer generation, not by choice as I just miss the cut off, but I rather try and fix it over just getting rid of it. It is ridiculous what people with throw away instead of just trying to fix a simple issue. Also, thank you for reminding me to go register it. I will do that tomorrow after I get the VIn number when I get home. 

• 2 weeks later...

A new battery has been installed to fix the non-starting issue. Then after a few scavenger hunts over the past few days from some springs launching out the rear brakes had been replaced. Only things left is clean up the drums and replace the passenger brake line. Both end fittings were completely rusted and round to the point you couldn't see any shape of a hex. 

KIMG1210.JPG.0243a9f487cef8d5acabccfcd019b9b7.JPG

Driver Side

KIMG1211.JPG.6c1c65666736aab15684f2315e287626.JPG

Passenger Side

Next on the list is removing the transmission to replace the internal slave cylinder and mess with the internals.

Only have two (2) MJs, just had three at my place. The gray / primed  Comanche is Capital City Pioneer's on the club here. Just had it at my place to do the suspension and transmission mount. It just got moved back to his place so he can work on the easier stuff plus I'm going away on my honeymoon next week.

For the Junkyard Gem, got the rear brakes and the new single line I needed to replace all taken care of this weekend. With the brakes seized before I started, I took the drums and a wire brush wheel and touched them. Only focused on the inner and outer surfaces that touched the brake pads and the rim mounting surface.

KIMG1214.JPG.5d1f63a5d18dd0a3303d859f76daeb03.JPG

You can see where I started to clean before taking a picture of getting all the rust and crap off.

KIMG1217.JPG.4471a531e0a80ccb5f8b8845dcd95af2.JPGKIMG1216.JPG.cfaa6f594a8e8a7e7dc12c5bafc70e31.JPG

Other than that just put the wheels back on and got Capital City Pioneer ready to move the following day.

Won't be much of an update for a while but the next step is to drop the transmission and replace the slave cylinder.

Thank for the video! We could not get the Comanche to roll by us just pushing it. Had to use the red Comanche to drag it out from the wooden car port and the tires just dragged on the gravel until it the asphalt where it jerked and started rolling. However there was still enough friction and resistance that the blue Comanche didn't want to roll for us. So with the red Comanche bumper way to high, I borrowed the keys to my fiance's XJ to push it. 

• 1 month later...

After returning from my trip I began work on replacing the clutch slave cylinder. My normal wrenching buddy CapitalCItyPioneer was down to help who ended up removing all the transmission supports and bolts while I had to take care of my new wife who tried to die on me with a serious virus infection. Well with her stuck in bed I would rotate between the garage and checking on her but we still managed to get the transmission out after a bit of fighting. With her now 95% better I had the ability to return to the garage and swap in the new slave cylinder and reinstall the transmission. Now to reinstall the transmission support and cross member and bleed some lines. So hopefully a little test drive will be achieved today after work finally.

So during the swap I discovered that the Eliminator has the dreaded BA 10/5 transmission instead of my previously thought AX-5. So that will be swapped out at a later date after if eventually dies or my projects list is reduced.

Pictures will be upload at a later time but last night was the test drive for the Comanche. Started and idled rough the first few times but took it out on the street and it drove great. Truck is about 90% complete now. With the new slave cylinder discovered the clutch line has a small slice in it causing it to leak and the gas gauge needs to be messed with still. Other than those mechanical issues the dash needs to be put back together to clean the interior up. But that is one project down. Now back to Trailerbreaker in the garage to do the transmission swap, hopefully in a week and half.

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

AX-15.  the AX-5 won't bolt to the 4.0 :L: 

how's your better half doing? :( 

My other Comanche has a four speed and it looks like the AX-4 bolted to the 4.0 engine. So therefore wouldn't the AX-5 bolt to it? I might just have to get a picture when it comes out to double check that. 

As for my better half she is doing much better and pretty much back to full strength. She felt a little windy the first part of this week but that is no longer bothering her. Now she is just sore from getting back into shape for riding the horses we have. 

13 hours ago, CapitalCityPioneer said:

I can say that getting a brake fluid facial while bleeding the clutch slave cylinder is NOT fun. The dying better Vakarian led me to the sink somehow!

Fun times, that truck is definitely in beautiful condition. I'm in awe. Maybe I can get Vakarian to do this in the snow with her.... :brows:

I am still surprised while blinded keeping your eyes closed you were able to replace the wrench and close the line before it bleed itself dry.

received_948396465516785.jpeg.1eba3888d1c05c558d8dc06bd221e1f5.jpegreceived_522399611654483.jpeg.50c7a98f9dbb0f260fc908e093413c6e.jpeg

Went for little joy test ride to deliver horse supplies to the farm. Going to need a nice cleaning once everything gets buttoned up.

The Comanche has a puegnot BA 10/5 five speed in it currently which will be replaced after the gears finish going and my wife learns to drive a manual on it. She like the size of the truck as the dually for the horses she feels is to big to drive. But once I can convince her to learn she will enjoy driving it around. Perfect size for her to drive.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, Pete M said:

can't be an AX-4 since that won't bolt to the 4.0.  2.5L/2.8Ls have a different engine-to-trans bolt pattern than the 4.0L.   Is it an automatic?  do you mean AW-4?

Vakarian's other MJ, the red one "Trailbreaker" definitely has a manual, AX-4 trans bolted to the 4.0l.

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

I'd need to see some proof of that. :L:    the bellhousing bolt patterns are completely different on both sides of the bellhousing.  I don't even know how anyone could adapt one to the other.  :dunno: 

Here is the link that contains my post regarding the AX-4 being removed. I was able to canniblize part from it to be used directly on the new AX-15. The two transmission look similar in how they are constructed with the different plates bolted together along the transmission's length.