DON'T DO THIS!

Mine had steel put in to hold the body filler... Chicken wire on one side that fell out years ago, roof flashings riveted on the other. Guess I'm not exactly fixing it "properly" either, but 1/4"-wall tube won't rust out again, again. 

RRnZ91H.jpg

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Acetone will melt what is left.  Looks like you're going to have some fun with that though. 

Yeah it's a mess.  Up inside it all came out completely, it's just around the edges that's still stuck on so I'll probably just cut the rust out now.  I've got a fire extinguisher in the shop in case it goes up.  

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

Mine had steel put in to hold the body filler... Chicken wire on one side that fell out years ago, roof flashings riveted on the other. Guess I'm not exactly fixing it "properly" either, but 1/4"-wall tube won't rust out again, again. 

RRnZ91H.jpg

That's an upgrade!

20 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Don't use spray foam to "fix" rust.  It makes properly repairing it so much worse!  Thankfully whoever did this only used 1 can of foam per corner.

IMG_20190731_130406.jpg

IMG_20190731_130415.jpg

On one of my K5's I was working on a few years ago someone did that.....What a mess. Never saw something so poorly done. Seriously would have just been better leaving it rusted out. I ended up abandoning it from a restoration stand point because I found a super clean 74 cheap. I was going to make it a truggy but couldn't justify 2 K5's and my other car. 

15 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Hey you may be exceeding the LeMons $500 limit. :roflmao:

Lemons Rally. No price limit. Finished 18th out of 50-some in the innaugural Car Weeeeak. Ran the next two as well in newer lower mile vehicles, trophied both times. 

18 hours ago, Pete M said:

be careful about the steel that the 1/4" is welded to.  they tend to re-rust and separate from the thick steel. :( 

Supposedly there's a strategy in place to address that concern. I'm not 100% on what it is, but my buddy helping me out is a professional welder with a couple decades experience who started out in autobody so I figure he's got a handle on it?

My rocker guards are welded to the frame.  maybe this sort of strategy will help hold the new rocker steel firmly in place?  rust is still a concern though.  getting paint to remain on the inside (underside?) of the sheetmetal after it's welded up tight to the new steel is a challenge. :( 

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Weld through primer and some access points to flood it with chassis saver, or something like that, are definitely needed.

Seam sealing it after is also helpful...  not that I ever seem to do that.

If I run into a part I can't get to clean up and paint such as the inside of a rocker, I will paint the backside then install it with the paint still wet and keep everything as cool as possible.  It will inevitably melt some of the paint but will protect the majority of it and doing sheetmetal work you have to keep it cool and go slow anyway.  By doing it with the paint still wet, it has to dry out the paint before melting so it tends to keep more of the paint intact from my experience.  Still not a perfect process.

If there is a gap somewhere near the end of the work, it's always good to get as much paint everywhere on the inside as possible.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:07 PM, Dzimm said:

Don't use spray foam to "fix" rust.  It makes properly repairing it so much worse!  Thankfully whoever did this only used 1 can of foam per corner.

IMG_20190731_130406.jpg

IMG_20190731_130415.jpg

WOW....after seeing this I'm so thankful my cab corners / rockers are rust free. Sometimes it's even hard to find rust free stuff in FL, luckily this one spent most of  it's life inland in Gainesville. Having grown up in CT and having to repair my fair share of rotted cab corners, rockers, floor pans, etc. I can certainly say I do not miss having to do that stuff.

unnamed-5.jpg

1 hour ago, jeepy2013 said:

WOW....after seeing this I'm so thankful my cab corners / rockers are rust free. Sometimes it's even hard to find rust free stuff in FL, luckily this one spent most of  it's life inland in Gainesville. Having grown up in CT and having to repair my fair share of rotted cab corners, rockers, floor pans, etc. I can certainly say I do not miss having to do that stuff.

unnamed-5.jpg

I'll trade you ha.  My blue truck is an Iowa truck and was rust free, although it sat for a while in a garage.