1989 comanche 2wd to 1989 4wd

So i own a 1989 jeep comanche 4.0 liter 2wd and getting everything from a 1989 jeep comanche 4.0 4x4 like transfer case, front axle, both driveshafts and the transmission.  Now is it pretty straightforward from there? Like basically bolting it on in replacement of the 2wd transmission? 

34 minutes ago, Cday2165 said:

Thank you i appreciate the reply ill upload some before and after pictures of it once in done!

start a build thread for your truck and share as you go :L: 

7 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Yes, it's that straight forward.

Except that the Cherokee rear drive shaft is too short, so you'll have to either have a driveshaft made, or have a driveshaft modified.

8 hours ago, Cday2165 said:

and getting everything from a 1989 jeep comanche

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Except that the Cherokee rear drive shaft is too short, so you'll have to either have a driveshaft made, or have a driveshaft modified.

Hey guys, I have this same question. I have a 89 Mj 2wd but I am not fortunate enough to find a donor Mj like cday2156 did cause Mjs are rare as it is in Utah. My real question is if a donor Xj is the best way to go? If so what are the best years to buy for a donor? 

1B716B33-7141-4BF2-9C56-25B206279568.jpeg

6 hours ago, utahmj said:

Hey guys, I have this same question. I have a 89 Mj 2wd but I am not fortunate enough to find a donor Mj like cday2156 did cause Mjs are rare as it is in Utah. My real question is if a donor Xj is the best way to go? If so what are the best years to buy for a donor? 

what are the specs of your truck?  what are your goals for the truck?

welcome to the club!   :waving:

7 hours ago, utahmj said:

1B716B33-7141-4BF2-9C56-25B206279568.jpeg

Howdy, if you only want to make it 4wd and don't care about swapping in OBDII get axles form a 97-99 XJ. Auto will have 3.55's, manual will have 3.07's and if you can find a 2.5l it should have 4.10's  You'll get a non CAD HP dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline; both are great axles.  Tcase will be personal preference if you want to search for a 242 with PT 4wd or just a 231. A 242 is nice for winter driving but not needed. Tranny will be based on what you have either auto or manny. if you have a manny might be worth it to search for a AX15 if it's a auto aw4 up to 95 should be fairly straight forward IIRC. 

I don’t plan on wheeling anything crazy in the Mj cause that’s what my Zj will be for👍 It will be more so of a daily driver that takes trails every so often. Would a 35 rear be ok for this? Could I also use the axle on my Comanche right now as long as I cut the rear drive shaft? 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:51 AM, Smokeyyank said:

Howdy, if you only want to make it 4wd and don't care about swapping in OBDII get axles form a 97-99 XJ. Auto will have 3.55's, manual will have 3.07's and if you can find a 2.5l it should have 4.10's  You'll get a non CAD HP dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline; both are great axles.  Tcase will be personal preference if you want to search for a 242 with PT 4wd or just a 231. A 242 is nice for winter driving but not needed. Tranny will be based on what you have either auto or manny. if you have a manny might be worth it to search for a AX15 if it's a auto aw4 up to 95 should be fairly straight forward IIRC. 

I would like to stick with the manual trans but honestly even those can be hard to find in a decent Xj donor. Is there another tranny that would be a good fit? Also would a 242 or 231 bolt up to any tranny in the same year or years of the tranny?

13 minutes ago, utahmj said:

I would like to stick with the manual trans but honestly even those can be hard to find. Is there another tranny that would be a good fit? Also would a 242 or 231 bolt up to any tranny in the same year or years of the tranny?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-87-00-YJ-TJ-4-0L-6CYL-AX15-5-Speed-New-Transmission-NO-CORE/273616870127?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

18 hours ago, utahmj said:

I would like to stick with the manual trans but honestly even those can be hard to find in a decent Xj donor. Is there another tranny that would be a good fit? Also would a 242 or 231 bolt up to any tranny in the same year or years of the tranny?

You could also source a AX-15 for a YJ or TJ IIRC. Might be a little easier to find those. 

You can do a AW4 swap. It's the auto from the XJ's awesome all round tranny. Tranny you need pre 95 IIRC.  

You can also do a NV3500 but it's not cheap. 

T case won't matter on years really.

Just now, Eagle said:

The year does matter, because Jeep changed the spine count somewhere around 1989 or 1990.

True and depending on which tranny will dictate the rest.

AX15 and aw4 90+ 23 spline. AX5 and pre 90 aw4 21 spline. 

1 hour ago, Smokeyyank said:

True and depending on which tranny will dictate the rest.

AX15 and aw4 90+ 23 spline. AX5 and pre 90 aw4 21 spline. 

And, IIRC, the BA 10/5 also used the 21-spline transfer case.

There's also a change in the pitch of the input shaft gear somewhere along the way, so you can't even assume that you can just swap the input shaft.

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

And, IIRC, the BA 10/5 also used the 21-spline transfer case.

There's also a change in the pitch of the input shaft gear somewhere along the way, so you can't even assume that you can just swap the input shaft.

The BA10 was installed from 87 to 89.5.  It uses the 21 spline shafts.  Halfway through 89, Jeep (Chrysler) switched to the AX15 with the 23 splines.  I know this was true for all manual MJs and XJs for the years.  I don't know if the YJs got BA10s for those years.

A 4wd AX15 will require a 23 spline  tcase.  

(The BA10 has the distinction of have the shortest use period for any Jeep as far back as '41.)