O2 sensor replacement woes...

So I’ve been having a tough time removing my O2 sensor in my ‘86, and I snapped the plastic section with the sensor specific socket. I’m gonna keep working on removal/replacement, what are thoughts on driving it in the meantime? Thanks in advance for helping this amateur:)

interesting question.  I also wonder how the old Jeeps would handle that. :dunno:   I know my 97 minivan went to a default fuel curve when the sensors died (and I still got 25mpg freeway so I just ignored it for the next 120k miles.:roflmao:)

It probably won't run 100%, and it may not run right at all, but it will run until you can get it out of there. You may shorten the life of the catalytic converter due to improper mixture.

I don't know how long I drove my '91 with a stuck O2 sensor before I hooked the MT2500 to it and saw that it wasn't switching. I never noticed that it wasn't running right, but if I remember correctly I took a hit to gas mileage. You'll be ok for a while.

To help remove the rest of the O2, here is what I would try: Run the truck up to temp, park it in your workspace, immediately hose down the area with PB blaster or similar (have a fire extinguisher at hand), and try to wrench it out when hot. That will give you your best chance at removal. If that doesn't work, since it already broken you might try tapping around the area with a hammer to try and loosen it up. After that .... the only things I can think of get far uglier and more brutal. So keep your fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

I know my 97 minivan went to a default fuel curve when the sensors died (and I still got 25mpg freeway so I just ignored it for the next 120k miles.

the O2 sensor doesn´t raise the MPGs, only prevent them to drop. running at stoich ratio doesn´t always mean you are running at the best efficiency.

4 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

To help remove the rest of the O2, here is what I would try: Run the truck up to temp, park it in your workspace, immediately hose down the area with PB blaster or similar (have a fire extinguisher at hand), and try to wrench it out when hot. That will give you your best chance at removal. If that doesn't work, since it already broken you might try tapping around the area with a hammer to try and loosen it up. After that .... the only things I can think of get far uglier and more brutal. So keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks I’ll give this a try!

The 2.5 uses that sensor for proper fuel ratio with the TBI. When I bought my truck it had been sitting for 4 years. It ran like crap, but it ran. I did tune up and several bottles of fuel system service to no avail, it would still  stumble at time and run rough.... until I replaced the O2 sensor. Once it kicked in with the computer, it started running great and has been fine ever since. 

There are several types of O2 sensor wrenches, some of which work better than others depending upon the sensor location. Try different styles on it, and again, it won't hurt to get it hot before trying, even if you do it with a torch or MAP gas torch. And PB blaster.... NOT WD40.  Good luck.

True story^^^

The 2.5 really relies on 4 sensors....the MAP, MAT, CTS and O2.  If you gave a bad/malfunctioning O2, you're better off just disconnecting it and running without input to the CPU.

Worse comes to worse on yours, you can pull the exhaust manifold off to wrench the remnants of your old sensor out.