Parking Brake Stuck

Pulled the trim off and some of the carpet and rubber up to see if there is a way to manually release it. No dice.

I feel like I read something about it on here, but none of the parameters I’ve searched returned any results. Haynes seems like a lot of work I don’t have time for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the parking brake mechanism is locked? Pedal to the floor?  Release cable broken. I released mine with a screw driver at right point in the mrchanism, but a word of caution: the foot pedal releases with enough force to break your arm. Keep hand and arm out of the way of the pedal.

Do you mean the parking brake mechanism is locked? Pedal to the floor?  Release cable broken. I released mine with a screw driver at right point in the mrchanism, but a word of caution: the foot pedal releases with enough force to break your arm. Keep hand and arm out of the way of the pedal.

Actually, the mechanism (pedal and release) work fine, but they’re just not releasing the actual parking brake.

That means one of the cables has rusted and is seized up. Crawl underneath and find the equalizer (the yoke thingie where the single cable from the front splits into two cables, one for each rear wheel. There's a long, threaded rod off the end of the front cable. Soak it down with PB Blaster for a couple of days, then loosen it to take the tension off the cables. Once you do that, you'll be able to see which cable is frozen up, and buy a replacement.

have you pull back the carpet to check for moisture underneath yet? 

I didn’t pull it back much, but I did notice some moisture... no standing water, but the rubber was damp. I’m debating if I wanna use this as an opportunity to address that as well.

the very first thing I did when I bought my new truck was gut the interior to get the wet carpet out.  the parking brake cable runs under the carpet in that moisture.  

Where was the moisture coming from? Are there any spots I should check? I’ve driven in the rain and don’t see any obvious leaks, but I know that doesn’t mean squat...

every possible entry point should be a suspect.  windshield seal, door seal, hvac seal, rear window, cowl drain, etc.  they have all leaked for someone at some time and once it's under the carpet, it can't escape. :( 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

every possible entry point should be a suspect.  windshield seal, door seal, hvac seal, rear window, cowl drain, etc.  they have all leaked for someone at some time and once it's under the carpet, it can't escape. :( 

Don't forget the fuse panel. It's a two-piece assembly that goes through the firewall.

Sounds like the brake pedal is released and just the brakes are stuck on?

I've usually been able to release stuck drum brakes by smacking the wheel with a hammer. Use a rubber mallet at first if you've got one, or a piece of wood to protect the wheel if you've got to use a bigger hammer. 

Once they're released, pop the drum off to make sure everything is kosher in there. Sometimes you can free up the brakes and they'll be fine, other times they'll just stick again. Parking brakes are usually not too bad because they tend to get jammed on much harder than a normal brake application while driving, as opposed to sticking on because the brake hardware is a ball of rust... but you never know. 

Sounds like the brake pedal is released and just the brakes are stuck on?
I've usually been able to release stuck drum brakes by smacking the wheel with a hammer. Use a rubber mallet at first if you've got one, or a piece of wood to protect the wheel if you've got to use a bigger hammer. 
Once they're released, pop the drum off to make sure everything is kosher in there. Sometimes you can free up the brakes and they'll be fine, other times they'll just stick again. Parking brakes are usually not too bad because they tend to get jammed on much harder than a normal brake application while driving, as opposed to sticking on because the brake hardware is a ball of rust... but you never know. 

Thanks for the input. I was able to release the brake using eagle’s suggestion.

Now that I’ve got the brake released, what’s my next move? I released the parking brake by removing the equalizer and locknut from the rod. I believe it’s the main cable that’s broken, and broken up near the pedal. Before I release it, the pedal was still functioning like it normally would, aside from releasing the brake.

If the "front" cable from the pedal to the equalizer is broken, you're in for a treat. Driver seat (if you have a bench, the whole seat) has to come out, as does all of the interior trim that touches the carpet, and the carpet needs to be rolled up at least enough to see the full run of the cable. Once that's done, it's not too hard to replace the cable. Make sure your replacement comes with the rubber plug where it goes through the floor.

If you have floor rust, this would be a good time to address it.

3 hours ago, floridaftwman said:

Now that I’ve got the brake released, what’s my next move? I released the parking brake by removing the equalizer and locknut from the rod. I believe it’s the main cable that’s broken, and broken up near the pedal. Before I release it, the pedal was still functioning like it normally would, aside from releasing the brake.

If that released the parking brakes, then the problem is that the front cable is frozen. Minuit has described the replacement. Good opportunity to lift the carpet and check the floor for rust while you're going the cable replacement.

• 1 month later...