Starter Grinding

I feel like a regular in MJ tech :dunno:

Threw a new starter in tonight. I had an old ACDelco reman starter making a ton of noise. Part of that noise was a grind towards the end of the crank.

New ACDELCO starter came in. Replaced it. Grind still present. But the starter motor is much quieter! The old one had some SERIOUS play in it. 

I attached a video. And listening to it now on the video you can barely hear it :brickwall:

Are both bolts tight? For whatever dumb reason, the starter bolts aren't the same size. One of them is metric, the other isn't. Because of the slight diameter difference if you put them in wrong, one will act like its going in but it won't stay snug, and the other will start in but crossthread. Or at least that was my experience. 

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

can you peek in and see the flywheel teeth? 

12 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Did you put the starter shim back in?

12 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Are both bolts tight? For whatever dumb reason, the starter bolts aren't the same size. One of them is metric, the other isn't. Because of the slight diameter difference if you put them in wrong, one will act like its going in but it won't stay snug, and the other will start in but crossthread. Or at least that was my experience. 

Flywheel photo attached.

I didn’t have any shins on the old one, and through all of my 4.0s have never shimmed before. Is the MJ different?

The bolts seem right to me... it’s definitely tight and didn’t crossthread. 

6F8E27B3-728E-44B2-AA88-8871A021FA94.jpeg

I picked up another starter (Reman this Time) and installed. Same sound.

Reinstalled the new starter. Cleaned all terminals. Ran a new starter wire. 

Same sound. 

The sound its making is the exact same sound it makes if you try to crank the starter with the motor running.

1 hour ago, Knucklehead97 said:

Is the flywheel loose? :confused:

Tight as can be.

Is it possible the flywheel was replaced at one point with a different tooth count? Did this change at any point across the years? Are they different for the BA10 and AX15?

4 hours ago, Knucklehead97 said:

It almost looks and sounds like the starter isn't retracting fast enough before the engine picks up RPM's. 

Agreed. To me it seems like the flywheel has an edge worn on the teeth that’s “catching” the starter and stopping it from fully releasing. Absolutely nothing I can do short of filing each tooth straight or replacing it, which will have to wait for the BA to AX swap.

9 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Just a thought, but what if you have a sluggish starter relay or sloppy ignition switch.

8 hours ago, Knucklehead97 said:

^ that's what I was thinking. Seems more likely than the edge on the flywheel.

I added a wire to the starter solenoid to bypass the ignition switch as I thought this might be the culprit. Unfortunately I still had the noise :mad:

At this point I can’t imagine what else it could be then the flywheel?