Cluster swap

I did the swap. Plug and play. My Comanche already had gauges so no sensors needed. Just had to add 1 bulb for the 4x4 light. Everything works except fuel gauge. That’s my next project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the original fuel gauge work?

Nope . It’s either a bad sensor or a grounded wire. It pretty much reads over full. If you disconnect the connector at the tank it stays over full. I’m thinking more the lines of a grounded wire.

10 hours ago, jeeptec1 said:

Nope . It’s either a bad sensor or a grounded wire. It pretty much reads over full. If you disconnect the connector at the tank it stays over full. I’m thinking more the lines of a grounded wire.

'88 fuel sender was calibrated 0 ohms = Empty, 88 ohms = Full. A broken wire would be infinite resistance, a grounded wire would be low or no resistance. Could be a bad ground at the tank sender. Check for ground continuity.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 87 Comanche, what year clusters would work for it that has a tach. Also my fuel gauge stays over full, parking break light as well as 4x4 light stays on (4x4 light goes on and off when driving how do I fix that?)

9 hours ago, Beau_41 said:

I have an 87 Comanche, what year clusters would work for it that has a tach. Also my fuel gauge stays over full, parking break light as well as 4x4 light stays on (4x4 light goes on and off when driving how do I fix that?)

You will want a cluster from 87-90.

If you have idiot lights, you will need to change the oil pressure switch to a sensor and the temp switch to a sensor.

Also my fuel gauge stays over full

Pegged FULL fuel gauge:

-Faulty gauge

-Open circuit

parking break light

-Check switch on Parking Brake

-Faulty brake system

-Disconnect connector at parking brakes and see if problem goes away.

10 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

4x4 light stays on (4x4 light goes on and off when driving how do I fix that?)

Check for faulty switch on 4WD unit.