Replacing Drag link and tie rod ends

Check the diameter of that kit on the drag link. For a little bit more you can upgrade to a later model XJ drag link that is much thicker. A ZJ drag link will work also, but the geometry is slightly different whereas the later XJ unit is still the same geometry for XJ/MJ. Moog DS1238 is your part number. O'Reilys, Napa and Advance all sell "in house" private branded units with the same part number for a little less. Don't hold me to it but many people believe those are made by Moog too. 

• 2 months later...

Hope it is ok that I piggy back on this thread. There is a thread on the Cure but it has been closed. I bought the Cure and finally got around to putting it on. I think its called a tie rod end was really stuck on and took some effort to detach it. I eventually had to get a pickle fork out and pound that in there to get it to release. I removed the old boot and slid the Cure on. Now the castle nut won't screw on. Threads look fine but the nut won't go on.

Can I repair the threads somehow or should I just get a new tie rod end, if that is what its called?

20190807_055111[1].jpg

2 hours ago, rylee144 said:

Hope it is ok that I piggy back on this thread. There is a thread on the Cure but it has been closed. I bought the Cure and finally got around to putting it on. I think its called a tie rod end was really stuck on and took some effort to detach it. I eventually had to get a pickle fork out and pound that in there to get it to release. I removed the old boot and slid the Cure on. Now the castle nut won't screw on. Threads look fine but the nut won't go on.

Can I repair the threads somehow or should I just get a new tie rod end, if that is what its called?

20190807_055111[1].jpg

I have had this happen as well.  If the threaded portion of the ball stud (as that is it's name) is not too mushroomed,  you can grind a chamfer on the first thread or two to allow the castle nut to thread on.   A dremel tool is your best bet for doing this on the car.

If you get to the point where the grinding enters the area where the nut will be on the threads when fully tightened, then it's too damaged to be reused, and a new tie rod will be needed.

What is the bar attached to the tie rod end coming off of the steering gear box? This post reminded me that I need to replace mine. I can grab it and rotate it about 1/4" I should probably get on that. It's on a 1988 comanche 2wd.

Sorry asking a question in the middle of your post.

7 hours ago, rylee144 said:

20190807_055111[1].jpg

Do not beat on your steering components.........some do, I don't. 

And if you are going to beat it to death.........take the nut off and put it back on backwards. 

Image result for rod end separator

13 minutes ago, Cheapamanche said:

What is the bar attached to the tie rod end coming off of the steering gear box? This post reminded me that I need to replace mine. I can grab it and rotate it about 1/4" I should probably get on that. It's on a 1988 comanche 2wd.

Sorry asking a question in the middle of your post.

Drag link.